Question for those taking the Dewitt Scott C6th course

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Malcolm Leonard

Question for those taking the Dewitt Scott C6th course

Post by Malcolm Leonard »

If you are taking this course can you explain the blocking exercises on page 11?Am I suppsed to pluck two strings simultaneously while blocking them both?
I am not sure what the semi-circular line connecting each set of two strings is supposed to mean.
Thanks,
Malcolm
Jude Reinhardt

Post by Jude Reinhardt »

Page 11 is a continuation of page 10. Using pick blocking Method #1 or palm blocking Method #2 pick each pair of strings connected by the curved line. If he had shown the curved line connecting the two sets of notes on page 10, two notes at the second fret and two notes at the fourth fret, page 11 would have been easier to understand.
"If we live in fear of banjos, then the banjos have won".

"Man cannot live by bread alone, he must have Peanut Butter". - Kruger Bear
Malcolm Leonard

Jude Reinhardt wrote:Page 11 is a continuation of page 10. Using pick blocking Method #1 or palm blocking Method #2 pick each pair of strings connected by the curved line. If he had shown the curved line connecting the two sets of notes on page 10, two notes at the second fret and two notes at the fourth fret, page 11 would have been easier to understand.
Thanks!This book is the only music book I have seen that uses six spaces rather than six lines in the tab layout and has you play the notes on the spaces instead of on the lines.I guess Mr. Scott has his own,unique way of doing things.
Is that kitty in the photo a good friend of yours?My constant(always jumping into everything I do)feline companion of eleven years(Joy) has kidney disease,I have just learned....and will not be with me for as many years longer as I had hoped for.The rate of progress of the disease is unpredictable,so I hope and pray for the best for her.Again,thanks for the help!
Malcolm
Gary Boyett

Post by Gary Boyett »

That is a great book. Take your time and don't rush through it. Pay attention to the chords and chord progressions as you go. Scotty does not emphasize or even explain some of the basic stuff. You have to figure it out yourself.

Sorry about you kitty. Pets are always tough to loose.
Malcolm Leonard

Gary Boyett wrote:That is a great book. Take your time and don't rush through it. Pay attention to the chords and chord progressions as you go. Scotty does not emphasize or even explain some of the basic stuff. You have to figure it out yourself.

Sorry about you kitty. Pets are always tough to
loose.
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the post!Yup,I did get the impression that some things wern't explained fully and you do have to pick those up yourself.But it is basicly good and a good buy for the money,I feel.Yes pets are tough to to say goodbye too;very much so.
Thanks,
Malcolm