Who are these guys?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Scott Thomas

Who are these guys?

Post by Scott Thomas »

This is from a book I found in a second hand store: "Leis, Luaus and Alohas, The Lure of Hawaii in the Fifties". I love to see vintage pictures of players like this, and will post a few more if there is interest? I don't recognize the players (particularly the steel player) here. Any archivist types out there know? Here's the link: http://freefilehosting.net/bin/?id=qt/ymqw= <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Scott Thomas on 05 July 2005 at 11:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

I don't know who that is, but there's another trio pictured in that book with Gabby Pahinui in the middle playing a frypan.
Howard Clark

Post by Howard Clark »

Test
Scott Thomas

Post by Scott Thomas »

Right, with the "young Kanoe Miller" doing the hula in front--priceless picture. I thought I might put that one up next. For the longest time I thought it was "Steppy" de Rego" in the picture because that's who Gabby is identified as in the booklet to the cd "History of Hawaiian Steel Guitar".
It wasn't until just a few days ago when I got the new Andy Cummings compilation (awesome by the way) that I saw it was really Gabby.
Actually there's only one other picture besides that one with a steel player in it, Jules Ah See with Alfred Apaka. Looks to be another shot from those well known Tapa Room pictures.
Scott Thomas

Post by Scott Thomas »

and now by popular demand . . . (o.k., but here it is anyway) Gabby Pahinui on frypan!

http://freefilehosting.net/bin/?id=qt/8kKQ=
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

In the first pic, the r/guitarist is playing an Epiphone "Broadway" model guitar...this guitar had a great sound! Image