Mystery Steeler - Mamou, Louisiana

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Isaac Stanford

Mystery Steeler - Mamou, Louisiana

Post by Isaac Stanford »

Anybody recognize this guy? The picture was found in old photos my dad took in Mamou, Louisiana around 1973.

John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Elvis
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

I don't know, but he is amazing. Notice he plays both right handed and left handed. (Maybe a reverse negative on the photo?)
Isaac Stanford

Post by Isaac Stanford »

Very perceptive Jim. I hadn't noticed the reversed picture.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Whooo boy, look at them shoes.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

I don't know for sure but I think its J. M.
Tom Harris

Post by Tom Harris »

MMMMM,at first glance,,it looked a lot like a younger "Royce Tarver",but after looking good at him i realized it wasnt Royce,but he is a sho nuf "stand out" type of steeler lol,,yep,,i also noticed the left and right handed change,,and i agree with Sturat,i believe it's " J M " lol...one thing for sure,,Carl Perkins didnt have anything on him lol..
Nuff Said....
Tom
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Well, down here we have an excellent player by the name of Jr. Martin. But that is not him playing and I am not certain that is who "JM" is.

But the player looks like another great player, Rodney Miller, who was very instrumental in making the steel guitar prevelant in cajun music.
Dave
Last edited by David Higginbotham on 18 May 2007 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Milton Guilbeau

Post by Milton Guilbeau »

David is correct. It is Rodney Miller, his son Ronnie on drums and the late Dick Richard on fiddle. Rodney is still working gigs around Lafayette, LoUiSiAna. Although the initials JM are shown, Junior Martin says he never owned this guitar.

Milton Guilbeau
"One never retires from music, any more than one retires from breathing."
Isaac Stanford

well Done

Post by Isaac Stanford »

Well done David and Milton! Every band member as well. Unfortunately the negative had those vertical lines across it. Here is the first picture without the reversal. If you see Rodney Miller or his son ask them if they'd like a copy of the pictures.
Ricky Thibodeaux

Maybe

Post by Ricky Thibodeaux »

There is also another player down there in cajun land with the same initials. They call him Junior Miller (Issac Miller) is his real name.He is an exceptional cajun steeler as well. He sold me my first steel in 1975 when he was playing with my dad's band (Geno Thibodeaux)
Daniel J. Cormier

Hot Rod Miller

Post by Daniel J. Cormier »

Thats not Rodneys Guitar, Looks like Jr. Issac Millers D-8 Fender. That is Rodney( Hot Rod) Miller in the picture. At the time this picture was taken Rodney was playing a Fender 400 or 1000.
Rodeny has had a stroke in recent days.So keep him in your prayers.
Daniel J. Cormier
Rittenberry with Tone to the bone,profex or tubefex and what ever amp, hilton pedal, BJS bars. Email at kajunsteelman@yahoo.com.
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Isaac Stanford, please email me at dhiggi7494@aol.com. I am certain that Rodney & Ronnie would love to have a copy of those pics. You can send them to me and I will get them to Rodney.
I played in Rodney's place recently 2 days after his stroke and his son Ronnie played drums for us.

The great news is that Rodney is recovering nicely since the stroke was caught early enough to prevent major permanent damage.

Isaac "Jr." Miller is also a great steeler as mentioned and last I heard he was playing in the New Orleans area. All three of these steelers mentioned have had a big influence on all of us down here and have set the standard of playing in Cajun music.
Dave
Isaac Stanford

Post by Isaac Stanford »

David - I'll have my dad, who took the pictures, get in touch with you directly. Thanks for all the interesting history. I'm glad to hear that Rodney is recovering.