Anyone tried the Schertler C-Dyn Dobro pckp?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Yann Obergfell

Anyone tried the Schertler C-Dyn Dobro pckp?

Post by Yann Obergfell »

Hi,

Lately I've been looking for a pickup fir my dobro...
I heard a schertler pickup once on a guitar (a DYN G) and I couldn't believe my ears. It sounded EXACTLY like a guitar through a mic. Incredible.
http://www.schertler.com/prodotti_ing/pickups/resonator_guitar.htm

To those who aren't familiar with schertler pickups, they aren't piezos and they are very feedback resistant. Any input?

Yann
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Yann Obergfell on 02 April 2005 at 07:45 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Storti

Post by Bob Storti »

Let's bump this one up. I'd like to hear more about this too. An interesting design.

Bob
Chuck Fisher

Post by Chuck Fisher »

I sure like that its low impedience, its gotta be handy to just xlr into your mixer or a pro preamp/compressor or anti-feedback box. 1 cord, no silly assed batteries or little tin boxes full of opamps (UGH)

I wonder how much it costs $, and how much the mass of this thing stuck on the cone messes with the acoustic properties of the guitar.
Yann Obergfell

Post by Yann Obergfell »

I've got an old-style Mc Intyre Pickup on the cone of my OMI dobro and really kills the tone. I think the putty dampens the vibrations. I'm going to the Frankfurter Musikmesse next Thursday and I'll check the Schertler stand. I'll keep you posted. In France the pickup costs about €300.

Yann <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Yann Obergfell on 02 April 2005 at 07:46 AM.]</p></FONT>
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I have a Fishman Passive transducer on my Gold Tone mahogany that was recently installed and set up by Paul Beard. Today is the first day I'm trying it in performance and I will make a report to the class later.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

I haven't tried the Schertler, but the last dobro pickup I tried to use was a "Shadow SH2000A Transducer". It caused the soundman to quit and go into therapy and me to surrender and begin using a SuperBro simulator. It doesn't cut it for bluegrass but will do the job for anything else.

www.genejones.com