Stereo Steel Combo Amp Head

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Castleberry

Stereo Steel Combo Amp Head

Post by Mike Castleberry »

I'm thinking about upgrading to a Stereo Steel Amp Head from my two Nashville 400's. I will be using the two Black Widow 4 ohm speakers with the amp head from my Nashville 400's. I will also be using the T.C. Electronics Digital Processor with the unit. Any comments?

Thanks, Mike
Justin Griffith

Post by Justin Griffith »

I have one and I love it.
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

I don't own one, but worked on one for a friend that had a fairly minor issue. Construction and quality of components was terrific, and G.D. himself was a great guy to work with. I emailed him and responded within a day. He offered to fix it, send me parts or whatever we wanted to do.

You'll certainly be happy with the quality of the amp and the excellent service.
Bryan Dickson

StereoSteel amp combo

Post by Bryan Dickson »

We seem to have similar tastes in gear bro! Like all steel guitarists I have plenty of "toys" that I occasionally use, but my main live setup consists of two Nash.400s and maybe 10% wet reverb from a seperate unit (*I never use the spring reverb in the amps* ). I also use a StereoSteel amp combo w/2 spk.cabs, depending on the venue,cartage, etc. This unit is definitely one of the most versatile pieces of equipment I have ever used. If you are into high quality studio reverbs, pitch-shifters, delays, etc., then you have to try these amps! I like the effects routing design so much, I am going to have two Nash.400s modified to perform the same function as the left ch./right ch. FX controls in the StereoSteel amp.That sounds crazy right, but I don't use that reverb knob on the amp anyway so it evens out!LOL
-peace-
- bryan -
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

You will love it.
The Walker Stereo Steel is mighty fine. I use mine "out" once or twice a week, and it gets the sound I like.
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

I used my StereoSteel combo last night with a Black Box and Lexicon MPX1. I had a bad compressed sound perhaps a slightly overdriven sound and I am sure it was the way I set the volume, master controls. Can someone please give me some good advise on setting the controls on the StereoSteel and particularly the volume, master controls? The guitar was a push pull with stock single coils and the MPX1 was into the effects loop of the SS.
Thanks,
Jerry
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I really love the Walker combo amp. Light, powerful, sounds fantastic. I am going for a warm, fat tone, and the Walker makes it easy to get, repeatedly in different venue conditions. Just a great amp.
Jerry, I set mine with the input gain around 10 o'clock, the right and left outputs at the center detent (Noon), and the Master at around 9:30 to 10 o'clock depending on venue size. 11 o'clock is loud!
That setup seems to give me plenty of clean headroom. The level of the (first, small) input knob really affects the overal drive and tone of the amp. The mid range cut and para-mid EQ both critically affect your guitar tone.
Gerry has it set so you can start with all of the tone knobs at noon and it'll be a good starting position.
Make sure you're not overdriving your effects box- you can pull out the two output knobs to monitor effects only to see how it sounds. It's often best to drive the effects unit hard enough to get a good signal/noise ratio, then control level with the effects return. My big knob effects return varies between 9 and 11 o'clock, depending on the effect and amount I want.
I love this amp.
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

Nothing else like it. I would echo all of the sentiments expressed here. Lightweight, tons of with power, warmth, fatness, clarity. Lots of cool features. And it will bring out every bit of sustain your guitar has.

And yes, Gerry Walker is one fine guy :)
Tommy Detamore
Quilter Labs, Goodrich Sound, Source Audio, Neunaber Audio, and Stringjoy Authorized Dealer

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com