BOB BROZMAN

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

George Keoki Lake

BOB BROZMAN

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Had an opportunity to see Bob Brozman in action once again this evening. The word "action" certainly describes this virtuoso of the strings ! We were absolutely dazzled by his one-man stage show !!! Bob took us musically to many parts of the world using 4 or 5 acoustic guitars plus an Indian guitar and a multi-stringed "ukulele". He received a well deserved standing ovation from about 200 in the audience. About 20 years ago, I enjoyed backing Bob in Honolulu when he specialized in the Sol Ho'opi'i era. He still plays that style, however his talent has expanded greatly in the interim encompassing all forms of music. What a truly amazing man !
Ed Altrichter

Post by Ed Altrichter »

When I saw him 15 years ago he was as much absorbed in imparting his liberal politics as he was in playing music. He sort
of reminded me of the old Johnny Cash song " The one on the right" (was on the left), whereby he admonishes musicians to
just play their music and leave politics to politicians.
He played good, though . . .
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Lucky you George!

The guy certainly gets around.
I remember when you and he did that gig at the old Kapiolani Park bandstand (and I still listen to it occassionaly), and him saying that he'd just arrived from France and had to hustle right back to the airport after the show to return to France for more appearences!

The last time I saw him was in 1999 at Don Ho's joint at Aloha Tower, where he and Led Kaapana shared the stage and tore the place apart.

Hard to imagine that he is even better, but I guess that gigging like a demon will do that, in spades.

Nice guy too. I hope he never stops playing, and imparting his most sensible political views!
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

He's an amazing player. There's a cool vid on YouTube of him doing a one-man band on his baritone tricone, just unreal talent.
As for his politics they are his own and he's entitled, I just hate going to hear music and getting a lecture instead. I would never do it or allow my bandmates to do it regardless of the political direction. It's bad form and besides, why piss off people in your audience? If you just can't stand to not have people know what you think get a MySpace and start a blog (or do what Bob did and use the IGS forum), don't trap people that have paid good money to hear music in a political rally.
Half-assed bottleneck and lap slide player. Full-assed Builder of resonator instruments.
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Yep - Bob Brozman live is an amazing experience! I saw him play a fantastic show in Luton back in November - I have 5 video clips on my youtube page (link in signature) from that show for those interested.

I too applaud Bob for being outspoken about his political views. Why should a concerned musician not speak his mind? I think leaving politics to politicians has put humanity in some considerable trouble so far.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

It's my opinion that spouting politics at a musical event is really in BAD taste, especially in a mixed crowd. If you like his talent, fine, but he is using the stage for his soapbox. There is a guy named Pete Seeger (I know he plays 5 string banjo, I have his book) who liked to do the same thing, and pissed a lot of fans off big-time.
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

Why should a concerned musician not speak his mind? I think leaving politics to politicians has put humanity in some considerable trouble so far.
It all depends -

Does he tell persons in advance of his concert that he will be presenting his political beliefs in addition to doing his musical performance? If he does then people can make an informed decision whether to attend the performance or not.

If he doesn't inform them that he will be presenting his political beliefs, I believe that people are not getting what they pay for - namely a concert not a political speech. That would seem to be taking advantage of people. Furthermore it may be a violation of personal boundaries to not inform.

I still love his playing and I have heard him in person without his political beliefs. That is what I would pay to hear, his playing. I might want to hear his political beliefs in another forum, but not combined with his playing steel. And I would not pay to hear his political beliefs. :wink:

Aloha, :)
Don
Mark Tomlinson

Post by Mark Tomlinson »

I think it is totally okay to express your political opinions during a musical event, especially as it would be the artist's perogative to do so. It's just that I prefer it if the political views expressed are aligned with my own.

It also helps if the music is good, or the beer is strong.

:)
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

"There is a guy named Pete Seeger (I know he plays 5 string banjo, I have his book) who liked to do the same thing, and pissed a lot of fans off big-time."

I seriously don't know if this was meant to be a joke or not. I think anyone going to a Pete Seeger concert knows Petes politics and most are going to the concert because of his politics, not despite them. Pete's whole life is a political message.

I think the same thing about Brozman. Whether or not he presents his politics in a concert, they are expected. If you are surprised to find them, you are at the wrong concert.
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

As long as there's been folk music there have been "political" or "protest songs", not only Pete Seeger, but Joan Baez, Tom Paxton etc. I don't even care for them (songs) let alone some bird spouting off about his political views which is of absolutely no interest to me, regardless of how great an artist he or she is. However, Brozman is an outstanding artist, although he has become a bit "showoffish" in my opinion. Geo
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

The people who do that sort of thing strike me ( this is just my opinion you know) as being somewhat radical and if that is what their fans and supporters want, so be it. Good for them, if they know what they are paying for.
I can't tell if any of that stuff has had any effect on our society at all, but hopefully it doesn't.
It's interesting to hear all these opinions though.

I guess what really matters here is that we all love steel guitar :D
Regards BILL
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

"I can't tell if any of that stuff has had any effect on our society at all, but hopefully it doesn't. "

Well, thankfully it does. I live on the Hudson River and wake up to it each day. Pete Seegers multi-decade fight to have the river cleaned up, through the Clearwater festivals, has had a very positive impact on the entire Hudson Valley and helped bring back one of the greatest natural resources on the planet.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Well Bill, if that is true, I certainly applaud him for it. He would have had to go against big business and big politicians to get anything done.
BILL
Ed Altrichter

Post by Ed Altrichter »

I would expect to hear music at a political rally, but I don't expect to hear politics at a music show.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

basilh

Post by basilh »

Not ever having seen Bob Brozman LIVE,I wouldn't know.
Last edited by basilh on 29 Jan 2007 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Well certainly any time spent on guitarseminars.com, Bob B's forum, will fill you in on his politics and what he feels about people who complain about it being brought up in concerts. Unfortunately, most of his really good rants are no longer available on the site. Bob gets very passionate.
Gary Anwyl

Post by Gary Anwyl »

I've seen Bob Brozman perform a number of times over the years. I hope no one gets the wrong impression about his shows. They are definitely 99% about music and maybe 1% are his comments about life, culture and sometimes politics. He's not in the same category as Pete Seeger who placed a big emphasis on political involvement.

Bob is certainly aware that political commentary can make people uncomfortable or can turn them off. He tones things down if he feels the audience isn't receptive to his strong political views. The last time I saw him he did a show with Joe Craven (which was excellent) and I don't recall him making any political statements.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I don't see what's wrong with promoting peace.
Andrea Tazzini

Bob Brozman

Post by Andrea Tazzini »

I saw Bob in concert with Renè Lacaille in Sarzana -Italy- (spring 2006) and the only political statement was engraved on the back of his reso: Africa is the mather of rhythm.
Ed Altrichter

Post by Ed Altrichter »

I'd like to see him do a show with David Allen Coe. Both the political aspect and the music would be enhanced; more diverse and more FUN !
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Andrea Tazzini writes:
Africa is the mather of rhythm
I say:
Jerry is the Mathers of Beaver. :lol:
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

A UkeTone Recording Artist

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Hawaiian Steel Guitar/Ukulele Website
Fred Kinbom

Some words from Bob Brozman himself

Post by Fred Kinbom »

I e-mailed Bob Brozman a link to this discussion, and he replied:
Thanks Fred, I don’t want to reply online because this is an old subject, but if you like, on my behalf, you could confirm Gary Anwyl’s statement that my show is 99% music and only 1% about culture, life AND politics. If people cannot handle 1/3 of 1% of a show, with no statement longer than a sentence or two (HARDLY a “lecture”), well I guess too bad for them.

You might also add that my MAIN message is to young (and all) musicians—that they can think for themselves and do whatever they want with music. I think that is a pretty positive and non-political message.

Finally a ticket to a show >>>>it RENTS the artist, it does not BUY him.

[...]

I am no way an artist like Pete Seeger or Tom Paxton, I just make a few little observations….
Last edited by Fred Kinbom on 29 Jan 2007 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

I agree with what Mike Neer wrote above: "What's wrong with promoting peace?" Peace, compassion and humanism.

My personal experience is that the few "political" things Bob says onstage is about giving "food for thought" rather than trying to ram some message down the audience's throat. Then, of course, everyone is FREE to think what they want about the issues Bob brings up.

Just as a musician should be FREE to say what he/she wants to say, on or off stage, just as he/she is FREE to play whatever music he/she pleases.
Gary Lynch

Post by Gary Lynch »

I belong to the Martin Guitar Forum. They do not allow politics or religion on their site. They will pull any post that gets in those subjects. They suggest you use personal email if you want to beef about the bologna.