Why didn't you [and I] make it big???

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ken Thompson

Post by Ken Thompson »

Gary, if I am not mistaken, you played on a live album with the Isaacs, correct? I have about worn that CD completely out. Awesome job on everything. That song that the youngest daughter and the son wrote about brings me to tears everytime I listen to it. Great album.
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Weekends as a musician and weekdays as an engineer has mostly been my lot and there's no question it was the right choice.

But sometimes, when there is a difficult problem or a new production machine that takes days or weeks to troubleshoot and all concerned are frustrated, sometimes angry, and generally worn out by the problem, I'll say:

"I should have stuck with a musical career. I could be a has been by now."
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

<SMALL>Most steel guitar players that are really great are very nice people and really aren't concerned about it. It's the ones that have problems with their playing that act like jackasses.</SMALL>
I'll second that one for sure.

Every now and then a real gem surfaces.

Gabe got it right.

EJL
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

What's "make it big" anyway ?
I hate to throw the "it's all subjective" grenade into this conversation but,
I've been awfully lucky... to play in marble-festooned rooms, to play to crowned heads, (as a piano player), to entertain the Prime Minister, to park my tuxedo-clad carcass under the crystal chandeliers....
Last weekend I was going to play my steel in a dirty old tent with a hardcore honky-tonk band at an outdoor festival, and I was so excited I had to wear depends.
Depends on what Your Thrill is, I guess.
-John

------------------
www.ottawajazz.com
Ron Sodos

Post by Ron Sodos »

After attendingthe steel guitar convention in St Louis last week and listening to guys like John Hughey and Terry Bethel, Randy Beavers and the rest, I am overjoyed at being "on the path" and continue to get better. After 30 years of playing I still love it and practice more now than ever. What a great joy I get just playing, whatever comes back monitarily is just icing on the cake. The real joy is playing and being part of this great culture...... Image