Webb Steel Guitar Amps

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Well, Barry, I've only been in it since the late 60's...and have heard about it from nearly every player, tech, speaker rep, reconer and such around L.A., and on the Fender, Tele and Les Paul forums...plus Weber VST, Mesa, Fender, Ampeg, Crest, Acme, QSC, Roland, Eden, SWR, Mojotone, Eminence, Celestion, Altec, Guitar Player, Guitar World, Vintage Guitar, Howard "Alexander" Dumble, audiophile magazines...

...so there YOU go. But again, Barry - most of your experience has centered on steel, correct? And as I said, it's not as big an issue with pure clean tones...so you wouldn't have been involved with it much, probably...unless you were talking about playing your steel through a '59 Bassman or something.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 06 October 2006 at 05:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

OK, I see where you're coming from - a 6-stringer's POV. Now it all makes (guitarist's) sense. Thanks, Jim ...<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Barry Blackwood on 10 October 2006 at 07:09 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Barry Blackwood on 10 October 2006 at 07:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Yep, that's all I was pointing out. Steelers tend to look for a very singular, somewhat dry tone (I don't mean dry as in "no reverb" - more a flat response). In those cases, a new heavy-duty speaker will not sound that much different from a broken-in one.

It's a different situation with six-stringers...or steelers who play outside the country "norm". If you use your amp for overdriven sounds instead of a pedal, there will be a very apparent difference between fresh and broken-in mid-to-low power capability speakers.

It's all in the application, just like amps. tube amps work for me, and a SS amp would probably make my ears bleed. OTOH, a pure-country steeler would likely hate playing through a Vibroverb turned up to "8"....
Don McClellan

Post by Don McClellan »

I am one of the lucky people who got his hands on one of the all-ready-built Webb amps that Tom aquired and it is a great amp. I couldn't be happier with my new Webb. I mean it!Thanks Tom, Don
Don McClellan

Post by Don McClellan »

oops.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Don McClellan on 13 October 2006 at 10:42 AM.]</p></FONT>