What amp do you use?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Matt Martin

Post by Matt Martin »

I use a Fender Bandmaster Reverb from 1969. Well built tube chassie and the sound is great. These are very under rated amps! I drive two Jensen 12" alnico speakers and couldn't ask for anything better.
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

Bobby Snell wrote:DSL's are known for great Marshall "cleans," and of course it can roar.
I was thinking of getting a DSL, but I wasn't wholly satisfied with the tone. I got a used 50 watt 2204 master volume head instead. It has 6550 power tubes, tubes that are cleaner and have more bass response than EL34s. The amp doesn't grind as much as a DSL, but I don't need a whole lot of gain. The clean sound is great too - it can do 'country' just as easily as it can rock out. I don't care much for it as a guitar amp, but it sure sounds nice with PSG.
Sho-Bud Pro III + Marshall JMP 2204 half stack = good grind!
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

At

various

times

and

venues

(I use the blues deluxe and steel king most often)
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Ummm, what do you have? In order to have the capacity for triple duty, I've been using a SWR-SM500 bass head in a 4X case with fan and power supply, and various preamps to shift between bass, steel & guitar. A decent modern bass amp with mid-shift control will do everything you need, but woe to those aluminum-coned bass speakers, and kill the tweets.
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Sometimes I use my Nashville 400, which I've modified using the Peavey factory mod kit. Sometimes I use my Evans SE200. The choice is based on which amp's characteristics suite me at any given time. They are similar enough to allow interchangeability. I like 'em both. 8)

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

PS: The Evans doesn't go to any 'gun & knife' clubs or anywhere there are beer bottles bein' flung!! :lol:
Steelin' for Jesus
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

glenn..what's the point of an amp that's too delicate to take to a gig?
matt...love your red hair!
i had a sho-bud xmas tree once...liked the way it looked but it couldn't handle musical warfare...i traded it for a standel custom 24 many many eons ago.
les...i thought you hated clean steel/country type playing.
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Chris: Not too delicate. Too expensive. Why risk a $1K+ amp when an available amp, costing a third as much will do the trick? :D

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

ha ha...i hear you, glenn.

but on the other side of the coin, why even have a 1k amp if one for a third of the price will do the trick?
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Chris you ask:
but on the other side of the coin, why even have a 1k amp if one for a third of the price will do the trick?
Even though they are essentially the same type of amp (200-watt, solid state, 15" speaker, configured for PSG), there are audible characteristics of each amp which make them different.

Chris, the abridged version of a long story: About eight years ago, I had an opportunity to play through an Evans SE200 and liked it. At that same time, I owned my N'400. By comparison, my Nashville had a 'honky' mid-range which the SE200 didn't have. I arranged to purchase the 'factory' mod kit from Mike Brown, at Peavey, to correct the problem.

About the same time that I bought the mod, I placed a bid on eBay for an Evans SE200. I didn't expect to win. Lo and behold, I got lucky and the Evans was mine.

I'd successfully completed the mod on the Peavey, and eagerly awaited the arrival of the Evans. When the SE200 arrived, I compared them. They were similar but different, and because of the newness of the Evans, the modded Peavey sat in the 'barn' for a few months. Over time, I've come to like each for their slight differences and have decided to keep both. ;)

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

I'm using a revelation preamp with VHT 2:90 poweramp and 1 or 2 JBL K-130's. The presence and depth controls on the poweramp help tone down the harmonics and boost the bass up a bit. You can run 4, 8, or 16 ohm loads with full power, or go to low power(60 watts) with the flip of a switch. It's not too big, and it sounds amazing.

For the little gigs and practicing, the LTD does the trick.
Charlie Shifflett

amps

Post by Charlie Shifflett »

Pevey LTD 400 I thank I have the first ltd pevey
made had a session 400 but sold it wish I had it back, this LTD is not heavy. just my thoughts.
have a good one,I have reverb problums in the session anyone no whats the broblum its not the tank. Charlie
Charlie 1969 Emmons p/p 8/5 old pevey ltd400
Thanks
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

The best money can buy, and it all weights in @ 26 lbs easy for Red to carry!!!

Kirk Eipper

Post by Kirk Eipper »

Been using a Webb from 1978 serial # in the low 700's but would love a nv 112
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
Sonny Priddy

Amps.

Post by Sonny Priddy »

I Use A Nashville 112 & Some Times A Webb 6-14-E SONNY.
Dave O'Brien

My amp

Post by Dave O'Brien »

Dave O'Brien
Emmons D-10, CMI D-10, Fender Deluxe Reverb, PV 112, Fender Pro Reverb
www.myspace.com/daveobrienband