Who started you on playing steel!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jay Yuskaitis

My beginning.

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

My father played Hawaiian Steel Guitar, low base A tuning, Piano, Spanish Guitar, Accordion & Organ. We were always well entertained. He started me out in music. Eddie Cunningham, from Eastern Massachusetts, with his style of playing, really got me interested in the Steel Guitar. Thanks again, Eddie. By the way, Eddie played the first pedal steel I ever saw. A long while ago! Jay Y.
Richard Paul

Steel Guitar

Post by Richard Paul »

Started playing 6 string and singing in grade School.
Messed alittle with dobro, played with kids from school, one had a steel. Stated playing in bands in high school, only play with two bands in my life that didn't have steel. Always love the sound and "Slowly" really got to me. Then I had A friend, who was gettin a devorce, he was selling his P/P. So I bought it. I'm 72 and still love playing. I have change to an Msa. And now you know the rest of the story.
Steve Nelson

Who started me on steel?

Post by Steve Nelson »

I started on Hawaiian guitar at 4 years old listening to Chet, then my mom and dad got my uncle's Stringmaster (traded for a boat) and I still tried to sound like Chet on that thing. I never really did get the steel guitar style and I switched over learning to play a regular guitar. I gave up steel for a while.
At 14, I finally bought my first pedal steel...a Miller, double 10, 8 and 0! That's when it got interesting! But my first real steel influences at about 8 years old were Pete Drake, Tom Brumley and God Bless him, my friend Arden Cook.
Oh, yeah, Joe Wright kinda messed me up, too. I had to look over his shoulder for almost 3 years and try to twin his crazyness. That was in the Trilly Cole days in around 76-78. But if you're asking who started me it'd have to be I think Pete Drake.
Jon Kostal

Post by Jon Kostal »

My influence to play pedal steel was Jerry Garcia. "Dire Wolf" blew me away! "Teach Your Children" was genius! He had a bouncy, lively style. Loved it.
Ken Williams

Post by Ken Williams »

Gene Simmons, Dierks, AR. Super guy and picker.

Ken
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

Some years ago i played bass guitar for a country band . The guitar player had a ''echo plex'' ,you know the ones with the tape going around and around . He also used a volume pedal and he would lower his strings and somehow get real close to the steel guitar sound . I loved what he did . I suppose this was the beginning of my steel guitar habit . It is a habit you know ! We can't seem to get enough of it ! G.P.
Rich Gardner

Post by Rich Gardner »

My first steel influence was my brother, Mike. He took steel guitar lessons, but eventually gave it up. I then started lessons at a place called Kitchen's House of Music. The main store was in Fostoria, OH. I took lessons at the Tiffin, OH branch. My first teacher was a college student named Ron Stucky. He left for grad school after about a year. I then took lessons from a lady named Vi Lang in Tiffin at Vi's School of Music. She was big fan of Jerry Byrd. I was hooked on the Hawaiian guitar and have enjoyed the ride ever since.