whats your day job ?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

Artist, old school sign painter/vinyl dude. self employed...do a lot of T-shirt art and design for hot rod events and companies, also for biker folks...farming out the printing these days.

www.jackfrancist-shirts.com
DESERT ROSE D-10 8/5...Joe Naylor "SteelSeat"...
Gallien-Krueger MB200 amplifier through an Alessis MicroVerb w/15'Peavey cab.
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Same as Jack, Bent, Don and Ken. We've paid our dues and are now RETIRED.

Richard
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Currently designing high pressure pipeline repair products. Got a Pro-E workstation with Ansys 10 running with the SGF webpage idling in the corner...check it every-so-often.
Terry Kinnear

Post by Terry Kinnear »

this is great.everyday, we talk these guys on the net,just like old friends.and we find out a differant side, that they do. bOb,does computer code for this web site. [ hows it going bOb? ] david higginbotham ,plays evil kievel,on the weekends, michael douchette, is a real life gigolo. [hows bussiness ?] larry strawn,gets to play,with the big toys..Tk
Terry Kinnear [ steel wondering]
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

Lets see, what time is it? I am currently playing steel for a living and doing psg repairs in my shop at home. I also own a recording studio that mostly collects dust. In the past I have built steels, drove busses and trucks for entertainers (those were the best money jobs),I have been a deputy sheriff, a security gaurd, loaded trucks, hauled freight and managed a thrift store. Survival is in my blood. All between gigs. I hope I can keep doing what I am now.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Mechanical Engineer here, how else could I afford to play the steel guitar. :-D I specialize in rock trenchers and have designed the largest such machines ever built. Most of this equipment is specially designed for a certain project, so I never run out of something to do. This one weighed 500,000 lbs, and had 1500 horsepower. It's a little hard to judge the size, but from the ground to the top of the track pads is 5 1/2 ft. This industry has been good to me.

Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Jim Rice

Post by Jim Rice »

This is a great thread!

I'm a geologist. Started in the oil industry in Texas/New Nexico, but wound up on the environmental side after the bust in the early 80's. I do groundwater cleanups and long term environmental planning for Army, Air Force and other government agencies and private companies. I get to travel all over the country.

GFI SD-10, Sho-Bud Pedal, Nashville 112
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

I'm a partner in a thriving union-side labour law firm, where I act for a diverse cross-section of trade unions and workers.
Michael Strauss

Post by Michael Strauss »

I am a consultant for SAP America. That means I'm on the the road 4 days a week (and loving it).
Carter S-12U, Sho-Bud LGD (80's), Fender Jazz King, Korg Pandora Toneworks PX4D, Modulus Q6, Ampeg B5R, Lapstick Travel Guitar mod to lapsteel
Twayn Williams

Post by Twayn Williams »

I'm a web programmer. My favored language is PHP, though I am conversant in ASP (VB Script,C#), JSP (Java), ColdFusion and a little bit of PERL. Client side specialties include XHTML, CSS, DOM, AJAX, etc.

I don't think about computers when I'm not at work.

I've never made more than half my living in the music industry because I'm temperamentally unsuited to it.
Primitive Utility Steel
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

My day job? After 20 plus years in hi tech, now it's all about playing music, acting, and playin poker.

Oh, and fixing dinner most every night for my beautiful wife!

SS
Life is mostly Attitude and Timing
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I've been a professional musician for the last forty eight years. It's still (mostly) fun, but it's a bit worrying that I can't afford to retire.

Of course, I don't WANT to retire, but it'd be a comfort to know that I could if I wanted to. I have just received my Medicare Card - that's a little weight off my shoulders!

RR
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

Truck Driver for UPS Freight(formerly Overnite Transportation). The buyout led me to go back to school in my off hours and now I am Nursing Student !
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

I'm a senior manager with my local government Highways department in Southampton. Unlike Roger R above, I do want to retire so that I can spend more time doing the thing I most want to do and what he does now for a living. Play music.

I had 17 years as a pro but gave up when there was a recession in the early 80's (just at the right time in my life I guess). If I could have continued making a good living out of the music business and see my wife every day I would have carried on, but it is very difficult in the UK to make what I would call a good living out of the music business. At the moment I am building up my pension fund and hope that I live long enough to enjoy it. :lol:
JAMES BANKS

Post by JAMES BANKS »

I have been a wireless phone tech and serviceman for 15 years, 7 more I will go home. Like many others, I have experiences in several fields. Equipment operator, truck driver, DJ, tire factory employee and 10 years of reserve police officer time. Can hardly wait to retire and play LOTS of steel
James
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Ken

There are some similarities in the paths we have taken - the main difference as I see it is that you're slowly building up your pension fund, whereas I slowly build up my mortgage payment each month! :D

No complaints here, though; I've worked about nine months out of twelve in '07 and, while I haven't worked since late-September, at least I'm golfing everyday.

Someone has to do it....

RR
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

John Steele wrote:
I am a busboy in the Restaurant Of Life
I'm still laughing! :lol:
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

My only source of income is steel guitar pickin'. Almost 100 gigs this year. As far as a day job, I do what ever Georgia wants done. Jody.
Terry Kinnear

Post by Terry Kinnear »

and who says you cant make a living ,[ steelin].,yea but the honey do list, cuts in on your steelin,[ at times. ] TK
Terry Kinnear [ steel wondering]
Mike Jones

Post by Mike Jones »

Since 97 after Miss Mandrell got off the road I have been selling Macintosh Computers. I also steel play whenever and where ever I can or get called for. Right now my big job is the Longhollow Jamboree in Goodlettsville TN on Sat. night. It helps keep my chops up and my fingers moving.

:-D
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Roger Rettig wrote:Ken

There are some similarities in the paths we have taken - the main difference as I see it is that you're slowly building up your pension fund, whereas I slowly build up my mortgage payment each month! :D

No complaints here, though; I've worked about nine months out of twelve in '07 and, while I haven't worked since late-September, at least I'm golfing everyday.

Someone has to do it....

RR
Golf - AAAARRRRGGGHHHH. Not for me Roger. In the time it takes to go round 18 holes I could learn a couple of new steel instrumentals. I bet you would have liked to make a living out of golf if you had been good enough. My friends who play golf are totally addicted to it, to the extent that it rules their lives. A bit like steel players I suppose.

Q: What is the difference between a lost golf ball and the G-spot?
A: A man will spend 5 minutes looking for the lost golf ball
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

One time at a trade show, a industry friend who I hadn't seen in a long time asked me "TC, what are you dabbling in now?" It was then I realized that I might just be a professional dabbler :roll: . Or maybe I am just an entrepreneur who can't do anything but music related businesses.

I started a company in '73 designing and building speakers for musicians. Then I discovered the PSG (and a cool social scene in clubs, complete with girls) I played steel full time for 14 years (from '75 to '89) averaging 250+ gigs a year, had a hit record, blah, blah, blah.

I am still extremely fortunate to be working in the entertainment business. I have a company that designs, rents, sells and operates sound systems and pro audio equipment for musical performances. We do everything from contemporary churches to national concert TV shows. My life's work has been only about music and making it better for musicians and audiences. Oh yea, I also design and build self-powered speakers for steel guitar and I am a curator at The Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum and I get to play on more than my share of sessions and even a few live gigs. I am one lucky son-of-a-gun alright. I can't imagine retiring...I am having way too much fun.

TC
Ed Javner

Post by Ed Javner »

Welder, Truck Driver, Road Musician for 8 years and the last 10yrs. doing Apartment Maintenance. Fighting the steel for the last 5yrs. Now "retarted"
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

So very many interesting callings listed here. I know we have an astronaut as well which is maybe the most exciting occupation. So far though, for me it's between Larry S, Darvin and Mr. Thompson. I can barely pronounce some of the words in his text nor extract the meaning of them but working around a castle sure sounds exciting to me :!:
Joe Stoebenau

Post by Joe Stoebenau »

Pilot and aircraft mechanic.
I fly medical specimens in the middle of the night throughout the wonderful northeast slag er... weather. I generally fly a King Air 200, Socata TBM 700 or a Beech Baron 58.
It's been a long winter already!