Steel in Lubbock

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Thanks a lot, Sonny!

It really was a thrill for me to play guitar with Sonny Curtis. I was aware that he was in the later-Crickets, and knew him mainly because of his great songwriting (Please Don't Ever Change, Walk Right Back, The Straight Life, I Fought The Law and many, many more!), but my first experience of him was in the early '60s when he came to London (along with Jerry Allison and Joe B Maudlin) playing for the Everly Brothers!!!

I'd never heard such a great player in person, and it was very fulfilling to be able to trade licks with him in a later life on our 1990's UK tour (I was on Tele, and Gerry Hogan did a great job on steel). He's an incredibly tasteful and sensitive musician, and particularly fine on acoustic guitar.

Check out some of his later, and less-well known, songs - Old Rainbow Jukebox is lovely!!!

Sonny is the real deal, and I'm proud that we're friends....

Roger Rettig
sonbone

Post by sonbone »

Red Raider player could have been Bruce Boggs. Pretty sure he played a U12 MSA at that time. I also played at the Red Raider with my U12 Zumsteel, but not until fall 1986 with Larry Johnson. Last time I saw Bruce was about 1989 when he was playing with Michael Martin Murphy. Lost track of him after that. The college professor in Oklahoma that is mentioned in a previous post could be Dan Hanson who was a piano player and instructor at South Plains College during that era. Like I say, lost track of Bruce...so it's possible he is also a professor in Oklahoma...

Sonny