Favorite E9 Rides?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ivan Posa

Post by Ivan Posa »

I have been listening to the Knopfler DVD that Gerald refers to, "Mark Knopfler a Night in London' recorded in 1996 which features Paul Franklin among many other fine musicians. Paul is introduced by Knopfler as "the finest pedal steel player in the world" and " a musical genius". As much as these superlatives are over used these days, in Pauls case these descriptions are absolutely appropriate and correct. The second to last track is a lovely ballad called "Are we in Trouble Now" and although there is no Steel solo, Pauls back up playing is as good as you will ever hear anywhere....IP

------------------
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

They're all good'erns----how about "One More Moon" on Rainy Day Woman ?
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

That Paul Franklin Pedal-Bro stuff on "How Long" (Dire Straits) sends me every single time for sheer beauty, but how about Jay Dee Maness (some of it nicely tracked with Jon Jorgenson's guitar) on all those Desert Rose albums -- "Hello Trouble" for instance -- I can't even LISTEN that fast, never mind play like that. Yowsa!!!

------------------
Sound Man to the Stars
Pedal Steel Picker with what's left . . .
www.pdxaudio.com/dg.html
Kenny Drake

Post by Kenny Drake »

Agree with all of the above, but the one that really made my life miserable for about a week was "Highway Forty Blues." Bruce, you're amazing!
Bill Stafford

Post by Bill Stafford »

Whoever it was that played the intro to "This Is The Shortest Song In The World".
Bill Stafford
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

<SMALL>Whoever it was that played the intro to "This Is The Shortest Song In The World".</SMALL>
I believe that was Lloyd Green with Kenny Price. Image
Chad Karnitz

Post by Chad Karnitz »

I really like Jay Dee's solo on "Misty" by Ray Stevens.
James McPhail

Post by James McPhail »

Ditto, Chad.
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Jim,

I believe Weldon Myrick and Chuck Rich played Kenny's record.

Paul
Duane Marrs

Post by Duane Marrs »

My favorite that I never tire of is Lloyd on "Nothing Can Hurt You" on Ricky Skaggs Highway 40 Blues. He does those " boomerang" things as he calls it. Pivoting from one string to another using the same note. It really gets awesome toward the end and it's over. Lloyd told me Ricky had several minutes in addition in the can somewhere that I would love to hear.
Another great one on that album is " You've Got A Lover ". Jeff Surratt
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

I just had a very nice phone chat with Lloyd Green, and played Kenny Price's "The Shortest Song In The World" from his "The Heavyweight" album over the phone. Lloyd heard the 4th string being lowered and agrees that it's probably Weldon on that tune. We think it's him on some of the other tunes, but it was recorded 34 years ago, and Hal, Weldon, and others were copying his style by then.

I had assumed that the same musicians were used for all album cuts back then, so this was my bad. Image

Thanks for the info and the history lessons Lloyd! Image
Steve Dodson

Post by Steve Dodson »

I was thinking Weldon Myrick did the solo on the Highway 40 Blues session.Either way it was great.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steve Dodson on 06 November 2004 at 01:59 PM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Does Weldon lower his 4th string?
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

I.ve been listening to that Buck Reid ride on "She Wears Her Love" over and over. Man, if I could do that I'd glue my butt to the seat and never get up. Terrific!
Duane Marrs

Post by Duane Marrs »

Mr. Dodson, I assure you it was Lloyd. In fact, Weldon, Bruce and Lloyd had sides on it. Lloyd did a lot of Skaggs' sessions over the years. Lloyd told me that Ricky was great about letting him work out really good parts, as not to be rushed.
Lloyd has probably done more than most people are aware of. For instance, did you know he did about 40 percent of the Loretta Lynn records? Cordially, Jeff Surratt
Bill Miller

Post by Bill Miller »

Hey Duane, you're not the only one who never tires of Lloyd Green's work on 'Nothing Can Hurt You'. I play along with that often and I can get quite a bit of the unison note stuff but still haven't got a handle on that 'boomerang' technique. I'd describe myself as an advanced novice and the steel playing in that song is a great incentive to keep trying to get better. Another all time favorite is Buddy Emmons' work on 'Don't You Ever Get Tired of Hurting Me?' (Willie Nelson/Ray Price album) The solo is simple but taken as a whole...fill-wise, tone-wise and taste-wise it impresses me more than just about any other steel work I've heard.
Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

I don't have the knowledge of steel rides that most of you players do, but I do listen to Loyd on So Sad, and love the descending run he does just before the last little lines of the song, where the time breaks, and he just keeps pulling those chords. When you think he's done, there's 5 more slides. That to me is great musicianship and tone. Of course I still love the solo in Bad Weather, so melodic, a small tune all by itself! JimP
Steve Dodson

Post by Steve Dodson »

Jeff, I am aware that Lloyd and Bruce had vital parts on the "Highways & Heartaches" album, as did Weldon. I was referring to "Weldon" as being the one doing the playing on the Highway 40 Blues "Song". Like I said either way it was great.
Duane Marrs

Post by Duane Marrs »

That would be Bruce on Highway 40 Blues. Ray Flack played the harmony part. I asked Bruce about it. I didn't know that until recently. As you said, really great playing at any rate. One of my all time favorite albums to this day. You must be a fan too. Your friend, Jeff
Steve Dodson

Post by Steve Dodson »

Great playing indeed Jeff. Thanks for the info.Lloyd,Bruce,Weldon,Flack, doesn't get any better.
Regards,Steve
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Hal and Weldon copying someone's style?
That's a good one!

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tommy White on 08 November 2004 at 07:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Weldon Myrick on Connie Smith's, Then and Only Then. Nothing Can Hurt You by Ricky Skaggs runs a close second to me.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

" Adelida " George Strait. How does Buddy come up with that stuff ?
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Jim,

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this.

I knew Weldon was on that song and I was also in a hurry at the time of my post to elaborate, so, I simply added a short mention that Chuck Rich, my good friend from Detroit whom had moved to Ohio to be the staff steel guitarist for the midwestern hayride was also on a song or so on KP's album which has on it, Jimmy Days composition "If not for Jennifer". I mention his credit because he is not as well known as most players.

Anyway its good that LLoyd knows I was right.

By the way, I called Weldon and he confirmed that he played on "The shortest song" as well as others from that LP.

Paul
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

When I think of E9th I immediately think of John Hughey and he has about 3 of my top favorites. In no particular order they are:

"I Just Destroyed the World" (Twitty)

"Lost in the Feeling" (Twitty)

"Look at Us" (Gill)

Those are 3 that stand out right off the bat. Then there's the ones that Buddy, Paul, Hal, Tommy, Sonny etc. etc. have done, but there's not enough space on the internet to name all of those. Here's to my HEROES!!! Oh, I almost forgot my all-time favorite I guess (so far!). "Nothing Can Hurt You" by Ricky Skaggs, played by Lloyd Green. Ricky also told me the story about all the great stuff that he had to fade out. Man! Wouldn't you just love to hear the 2" Master tape!!!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tim Sergent on 10 November 2004 at 09:28 AM.]</p></FONT>