Thank everyone for the nice comments about me.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jason Powers

Post by Jason Powers »

I am kinda surprised no one has mentioned "Close Up the Honky Tonks". It is one the finer COUNTRY records ever made, and I believe is one of Mr. Brumley's finest moments on record, although it would mighty hard to pick my favorite. Jason
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Hi Tom
A big welcome from Australia.You have a lot of fans down here as well.
Brendan.
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

Welcome aboard, Tom! I remember hearing you at Carl's Steel show in Atlanta around 1998. It was a very enjoyable set.

We simply have no choice, but to play (try) the solo in "Together Again" the way you did.

------------------
Frank Estes

Bob Hayes

Post by Bob Hayes »

Welcome Tom!..You were an insperation for me through and old Army Buddy and Mentor "Jim Dorsey Whited. He's living in Pikesville,WVA. now. Whatever nice things that were said to you or about you was well deserved. You're one of the pioneers of PSG.!!! I hope that we get some good feed back from you..and also join in on our nonsense sometime.
Grouchyvet!!
Bob Mainwaring

Post by Bob Mainwaring »

Hi there Tom,
Many thanks for years of being in my minds "eye" I have striven to be able to play even slightly like you.
I bought my first Z.B. years ago thinking I would sound like you - what a "break-in" that was!!

We have been in touch by mail but I think the world should listen to what you have to say and play.

Welcome aboard friend!!

Bob Mainwaring. Z.Bs. and other weird things.

------------------
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Tom: I'm really late in replying but my computer is the shop and it's hard to get on my wife's XP, if you know what I mean. I can recall as if it were yesterday, the time I met you and Don in Frankfurt Germany and got the first Fretts interview with you.
I especially recall the fancy restaurant in the hotel; it had a fish tank that was ceiling high and you paid. I owe you for so much more than that meal. Getting an interview with you was great for the magazine. For everything you have been to the steel guitar world and to all of us, my sincerest thanks. If Carl Dixon likes you, then your are the BEST !!

Regards, Paul Image Image Image
Bill Hamner

Post by Bill Hamner »

Hi Tom,
Thanks for joining in with a complete group of nuts. ImageWhere else could you find
the elite of a group(group here meaning steel players or enthusists) sharing their thoughts with unknowns such as myself,Bobbe Seymour and Smiley Roberts? Oh Yeah, there is some guy who signs in as Buddy Emmons who chimes in ( no pun intended) pretty often.Watch out for that one and the cyber-sheriff, b0b. Image Image

Bill
Rusty Hurse

Post by Rusty Hurse »

Welcome Tom to the forum and I too am somewhat late in posting this due to some unfortunate health problems.You too are one of the founding fathers of the steel guitar.I have been a fan of yours for many years, more than I want to say because we are still young LOL.Your playing has influenced many players and will continue to do so in the future.I wish you well in all your future endevors.
Ken Mullett

Post by Ken Mullett »

Hi Tom,Thanks for all the great music over the years.I to became a big fan of yours because of all the Buck Owens recordings, especially Together Again.For all the Tom Brumley fans, you need to check out the CD, Aase and Wolf Play Buck Owens featuring Tom on steel.Lots and lots of steel on this album and the vocals are excellent. One of my favorites. Tom, hope to see you in St. Louis. Ken
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Tom

You were the first professional player that I heard after I bought my first steel - a ZB, by the way - back in the UK. You were playing the Albert Hall in London with Rick Nelson, and it was wonderful!

Then I had the enormous pleasure of hearing you again, this time at St Louis in 2000, and my wife (a non-player) whispered to me, "That's the nicest steel tone I've ever heard!" Despite my bruised feelings ( Image), I had to agree with her....

Many thanks for all the inspiration!

------------------
Roger Rettig
Emmons LGIII(D10), MCI D10 and Fender Stringmaster (triple-8)

Richard Plummer

Post by Richard Plummer »

Tom:Please email me.I have some interesting,personal information for you.
Richard
Buck Grantham

Post by Buck Grantham »

Besides being a wonderful musician , Tom is one of my favorite people.
Pat Coyne

Post by Pat Coyne »

Tom, It must be very gratifying to see that you did make a difference in so many lives...for me a great memory in my life was as an 8yr old, my folks took me to a Buck Owens concert in a movie theater in Madison Wisc...and during the break meeting the great Buckaroo band...what a CLASSY band...my folks have both passed on, but the memory stays.... as the bible says "consider well the path you have traveled"...i am glad for a moment Tom Brumley was part of an influential force in my musical travels.. Pat

------------------
"basso profundo"