Female steeler on ACL

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

All things equal, and image being just as important for men on a gig, why does it only ever seem to be discussed when it's a young woman in question? I'd love to be proven wrong on this point.
There have been many, many discussions on this forum about the impact of age/looks/image in the music/entertainment biz. And when it comes to pedal steel, they mostly concern men, simply because most pedal steel players are men. I think a cursory search should reveal many such discussions, unfortunately. I just don't think it makes sense to dwell on this - image/ageism is not a new thing in the entertainment biz. If one is gonna be in the mass public eye, it is pretty important to keep oneself in good physical condition. And this is not only important for image but for stamina in the hurly burly entertainment world.

I hate to weigh in on this discussion because it just feels negative. But this fact is very clear: Arianna Powell is a really fine guitarist, and I'm confident that the primary reason she is hired by many high-level professional acts is her musical ability. You have to be able to cut the gig at a professional level, and she certainly does that.

As previously mentioned, she is not known as a pedal steel player. But she still plays appropriate parts that fit the song, which is undoubtedly what they wanted. That is what professional musicians do - play parts that fit the gig.

As an aside - I sincerely hope she really 'catches the pedal steel bug' and presses onward. If she does, I believe she should be able to rapidly adapt her excellent right-hand guitar technique, which will make her a real contender in the pedal steel world. Her guitar technique is so obviously very disciplined and excellent. She is clearly a very dedicated musician with loads of talent.
Last edited by Dave Mudgett on 26 Feb 2022 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Gauthier

Post by Lee Gauthier »

I'll take your word on that, if I'm gonna do a forum history deep dive I'd rather spend that time on a musical topic than looks and image. Seconded on her getting the steel bug. The video b0b posted rips and is my favourite style of solo guitar. I'd love to see what comes out of her mind when she gets deep into steel.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Yeah, I added a bit to my post as you were writing. As you can read from the edits, I also agree that this is not worth the deep dive into a basically negative topic.
Ian

Post by Ian »

You should see what they're saying about the drummer on the drum forum I frequent ;-)
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Bruce Bouton wrote:I'm incredibly disheartened by some of the posts I see on here.Reminds me of the days when everyone attacked Robert Randolph for playing and looking the way he did. I can't believe that someone would insinuate that this young lady got the gig because she was young and beautiful. Give me a break. My observation was that she played what was called for in the tune. She played a few things i never would have thought of . It gave me some ideas to use in the studio. Is she a great steel player ? Not yet...
I didn't see anyone say that she got the gig only because she was young and good-looking. (They said that it probably helped.) And one other thing, Bruce, you don't have to be a "great" steeler to inspire people and leave a mark. Often, being a great player is no asset at all. (Remember when and why Buddy Emmons went to work playing bass for Roger Miller?)

Chops count, but image and style are more important in many situations.
Bob Carlucci wrote:
I can recall many instances over the years of GREAT players that were world class talents that sat home while younger more attractive musicians of both sexes were touring up a storm.. Surprised that you think that this is not a part of today's music business.. I meant NO disrespect, but facts are facts.. See my comment on the Herby Wallace thread... Its time to face reality.. Looks matter to many of todays young performers, and they would not get caught dead with an old, fat, unattractive musician beside them onstage.. To think otherwise is very naive'.
Not much I can argue with there, either. But people today are overly sensitive, and some of us don't always take that into account. As an old saying goes..."Truth sounds like hate, but only to those who hate the truth".
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

Porter Or Dolly would be proud to have her in their band and she would nail it!
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Mike Holder wrote:It wasn’t a video, it’s a “live” performance ! So it’s not a prop and she’s playing it and guitar and is in a band touring the world playing all original music and parts and quite well I might add. Why does this seem so controversial on this post?
Mike, I believe I started the fire by stating the steel was “out of tune or not true”.

Living and playing in Nashville for many years, I’ve seen how acts and session producers are very critical if the steel is “out”. Nashville sessions and players have had to be precise standings.

That is changing some these days.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I didn't really hear "out of tune".. We all would have interpreted our "backing pad" differently of course..She played what worked for her own style and how it related to the song, and it was fine.. I would have played a totally different part.. NOT better, hopefully not worse, just a part that I thought would work for the song.. thats the way we all do it as musicians..

Look this young lady has a lot of talent, and no where did I say she didn't.. Its just that sadly, looks DO count in the modern music business.. Nowhere did i say she didn't deserve the gig. I am an old timer, and remember too many great players that either didn't play or were playing VFW venues while they still sported MSG chops. They just no longer looked the way they did when they were 25... It happens. No disrespect intended at all.. bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

I don’t really think that’s the issue here Ron; it seems to be more about genuinely deserving the position through talent as opposed to favor among a few other theories if they could be called that!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Mike Holder wrote:I don’t really think that’s the issue here Ron; it seems to be more about genuinely deserving the position through talent as opposed to favor among a few other theories if they could be called that!
Theories, schmearies. Talent isn't the be-all, end-all issue. Neither is looks. Like what creates the tone of this guitar or that, it's often an amalgam. Nobody's mentioned being in the right place at the right time, but that can be equally as important. Shucks, when she was hired, they may not have even known or cared if she played pedal steel.

(Earth to steelplayers: We're not as important as we think we are.) :lol:

We all know of musicians who've been fired or not hired for being too loud, acting obnoxious, fighting, doing drugs, drinking too much, or being a show-boat. But also, for being just plain not good enough. When I first started, I got my first gig just because I played pedal steel, and the band wanted a pedal steel. I wasn't that good, but if you'd told me at the time I wasn't that good, I wouldn't have got insulted. (I knew i wasn't that good; still know it.) Every one of us, from the best to the worst, has assets and limitations. But evidently, not all of us would like to admit it. :\

Peace. Go play!
C. Eric Banister

Post by C. Eric Banister »

Too bad she doesn't know more lap steel, then they wouldn't have had to bring this old guy on Saturday Night Live.

J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Not going to say much here and stick my foot in my mouth as I have done here before. Just remind yourself that with or without looks or with or without steel expertise she has the gig and is working, are you? I think that says volumes. I think she is a dedicated musician and with some years behind her she will be thought of as we think of some of our hero's. Just because she a Girl does not mean she cannot be, think of Sarah Jory. J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Samuel Phillippe

Post by Samuel Phillippe »

J R Rose wrote:N Just remind yourself that with or without looks or with or without steel expertise she has the gig and is working, are you? I think that says volumes.
YUP JR..I agree
Sam
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Many of us were working a lot when we were young, fit and more attractive. some even made a decent living at it. Some of us stopped playing by choice, others found their opportunities dried up with age.. Sorry if that fact has offended so many here, sometimes the truth hurts. No it doesn't happen to all of us, but it happens to a lot of us.. even some "big timers"... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Samuel Phillippe wrote:... she has the gig and is working, are you? I think that says volumes.
If that's all I got to play, I probably wouldn't take the gig! :lol:

But seriously, I've been fortunate enough to play thousands upon thousands of gigs (sessions excluded) in my over 50 years of playing. And in no more than a few dozen of those did anyone tell me what to play or how to play. That may have been a good thing, or it may have been a bad thing, but I sure enjoyed it. 8)
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

I wonder if you’d post an example of your playing so we could all experience how you approach a song or how in tune you are , curious to see if after I heard you how I’d feel about what you offered to the moment and just how musical it was….. yeah!.. that’s what’s needed here, somebody push some buttons!!
Asa Brosius

Post by Asa Brosius »

Players are hired and fired for so many reasons- playing a few different instruments is often an important asset. How someone got the gig is irrelevant- could be friendship, could be pedigree/chops, management, recommendations, auditions, right place right time, anything in between. Mostly scheduling, in my experience. To suggest it's just appearance is patently naive, at the minimum.
To expand on some other thoughts mentioned-a lot of classic country is dress-up music- did working cowboys take issue with the silly stirrups kerchiefs and shirts onstage? The substance abuse/'bad behaviour' of the era would put contemporary pop stars to shame. It's fine to like an era more than another, but this is the story of pop music.
On aging out of gigs- Springsteen, the Stones, McCartney, James Taylor, Elton John, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Lyle Lovett, Neil Young, Dylan- just a few of the high-grossing older men working with older bands. Also a well represented demographic on lower Broadway.
Finally, I heard Loretta Lynn referred to as 'a girl singer' the other day, at age 89. That's a trip.
Lynn Fargo

Post by Lynn Fargo »

Let’s see, guitar, pedal steel, vocals, and performing on Austin City Limits. You go girl!

I thought what she played plus her tone were appropriate for the song. The music isn’t my first choice but it was played well in my opinion. The ladies looked like they were having fun and were respectful. I watched the whole video on YouTube and the audience seemed to enjoy it.

I hope Arianna continues with her steel efforts and becomes the next Sarah Jory. Good for her to use pedal steel in a non traditional role. I remember the beginnings of country-rock and the non traditional players who eventually became our musical heroes - Buddy, Rusty, J.D. and others.

It’s good to see another woman out there behind a steel and in a position where she can encourage others to play, be they male or female!
Sho-Bud Pro II Custom, GFI Ultra SD-10, Fender Pro Amp, Fender Mustang II Amp, Morrell 8-string lap, Epiphone 6-string lap, Galveston reso, etc.
George Crickmore

Post by George Crickmore »

As much as I love all the old stuff if we want steel guitar to stay around in any shape or form in music we all better start to broaden our horizon's. Here is one thing to be sure of. Steel will be dead in any form unless people are willing to step out of the box. People may not like it but that's the way it is. Some guys here even bash a monster player like Robert Randolph and he can play all of the old school country tunes we play. However he plays whats in his heart. I for one see nothing wrong with that.
Excel S-10,2 Williams 700 Universals,Jackson Blackjack Custom,, Goodrich LDR2 & Hilton Vol pedals,Monster 3500pro power conditioner, Morgan SW100 amp & Cab
Jon Irsik

Post by Jon Irsik »

I enjoyed the clip and thought she played exactly what was appropriate for the song.

If players such as Arianna are what keeps pedal steel a viable musical instrument that is growing in popularity then more power to her. Good to see the instrument being used in a way that speaks to a new and younger generation of players.