Major chord vs. relative minor chord

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fred Treece

Re: Can someone explain this?

Post by Fred Treece »

Bob Bestor wrote:
Franklin wrote:The tritone is one fret above the next targeted chord, that's it man!"
I don't understand what he is saying here, let alone how to apply it. Can anyone get me going in the right direction?

What is a tritone in music theory?
A tritone substitution is taking any dominant 7 chord you see and play another dominant 7 chord that occurs a tritone (#4 aka b5) away from that initial chord. For example: playing Db7 over G7. The reason that this substitution works is that dominant 7 chords with a bass note a tritone apart share the same 3rd and 7th.

So, your basic chord progression G7 / C becomes Db7 / C
The tritone chord Db7 is one fret above the target chord C.
Lenny Breau was talking 6 string guitar in that lesson Paul was referring to ( very specifically a V7/I type chord change) and applying it to steel. Both necks, I presume.

I don’t believe he was implying that that is the only way to play this type of change, just the easiest way to think about it. In fact, if the target chord is minor (G7 / Cm), the tritone substitute one fret above target chord concept does not hold true on the E9 neck.
Al Evans

Post by Al Evans »

Bob Bestor wrote:
Franklin wrote:The tritone is one fret above the next targeted chord, that's it man!"
I don't understand what he is saying here, let alone how to apply it. Can anyone get me going in the right direction?
Say you're in the key of C. The 5 chord is G, and if you get to the 5, it just about always means you're going back to the 1.

The "tritone" of G -- same as the flat fifth, exactly halfway through the G scale -- is C#. In a tritone substitution, you substitute the tritone of the chord for the chord itself. C# is also one fret above C, and it's much easier to remember this than go through all the rigamarole of figuring it out,

So the upshot is that you can use any C# -- C#7, C#9, extended C# dominant chords of all sorts -- as a substitute for the dominant fifth (G, in this case) of the key (C, in this case).

The explanation is more tedious than just trying it out! :D:D

--Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
Fred

Post by Fred »

Bob Bestor wrote:
The tritone is used as a substitution for the V chord. In the key of C that’s G7. The note a tritone up from G is Db. Db7 is the tritone substitute. So when you have a dominant to tonic motion, G7 to C, C is your target. The tritone sub for G7 is Db7, one fret above C.

Fred
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

LOL...Anybody else want to try to say the same thing? We have a whole page to fill up here.
Bob Bestor

Thanks for the help!

Post by Bob Bestor »

I'm looking forward to working on this.
Keep on truckin'