UPS delivery masterwork

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Donnie Southers

Ups And Seller To Blame

Post by Donnie Southers »

Recently Found the guitar that I had been looking for.
1973 MSA Bud Carter built D10.. White, The color I wanted even. Boy was I so Happy!!! Dream come true !!!
Now before I start the bad part of the story I will say right off the bat, "I don't believe in loud talking people no matter what they have done, God will take care of that: Not My Job! "
Payment was made, guitar was shipped. My better 1/2 called me at work and said it came.... BUT....
" There is metal sticking out of the box. " Came home looked it over...
A) hinge from the case was at a 90* angle hanging out
B) 2 pedal rods bent severly
C) cabinet of the guitar gashed in from one of the pedal rods
D)Brightness adjustment knob and trimm pot at 90* angle
E) pedal and rod tray broke in various places

Now all being said... I believe the seller packed it so even after taking many pictures and getting an est. on cabinet repair I got the "SHAFT". I didn't even get enough from the seller to replace the case it came in. According to UPS the shipper was the one to receive the amount they paid for the claim. Seller drug his feet long enough that the claim could not be amended due to time restriction by UPS. He knew exactly what he was doing... I'm sure he kept the balance of the claim for himself. He got Shitty with me and said "take the amount I offered you or send it back, and you pay shipping" He wore me out!!!!! I fixed the Damn guitar except for the cabinet and went away and licked my wounds.... Just to put an end to this I will say, the seller has another psg for sale on this site so he knows who he is! BUYER BEWARE!!!!
Kevin Raymer

Post by Kevin Raymer »

I just had a Shobud pro III shipped to me in the case with only one thin layer of bubble wrap over the outside.

Ohio to Kentucy.

The case was packed full and the contents immobilized inside it.

Made it fine.

FedEx.

I always have my items held at the local fedex or ups counter for pickup.

Saves the that last leg of the journey on a route truck.
Kevin Raymer
Zum / Knaggs / Breedlove
Fractal Audio
Donnie Southers

Ups

Post by Donnie Southers »

I tried that on other things too Kevin, Unfortunately same results... There is always a route truck involved plus transfer stations... Comes down to "LUCK"...
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

I have Heritage Insurance. They would not cover a missing '51 Gibson L7C that Fedex "lost" in their Austin warehouse, but it did show up off a Fedex truck at the addressee's door mysteriously a day later than scheduled. Was it luck? Was it my telling Fedex that I reported to the Austin PD that it was stolen from the Fedex warehouse? Or telling Fedex of my calls to several music stores in Austin? Was it the extra label I stuck inside the box in case the carton got damaged? Was it kismet?

I've received packages that looked untouched. I've shipped international that arrive unscathed, although international shipments for me are nail biters :)

The only generalization I can make about any shipper is "Most of the time things work out well". Their function is to be the carrier for your goods, not to be the scapegoat for any damage. Of course they have to protect their liability, and you should cover yours, and pack the item well. Professional does not not imply bullet proof.

Liability? Claims? ha! Read the Fedex fine print!! Claims start somewhere around page 135

http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf ... 2016.pdf[b][/b]
--carl

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Carl Mesrobian wrote:
Liability? Claims? ha! Read the Fedex fine print!!
Here it is.

Claims
A.
We must receive notice of a claim due to failure to properly collect or deliver
a C.O.D. payment within 21 calendar days after delivery of the shipment. We must
receive notice of a claim due to damage (visible or concealed), delay (including spoilage
claims) or shortage within 60 calendar days after delivery of the shipment. (See the
Money-Back Guarantee Policy section for the time period to request a refund or credit
of transportation charges due to a service failure.) We must receive notice of all other
claims, including, but not limited to, claims for nondelivery or misdelivery, within nine
months after the package was tendered to FedEx Express for shipment.
B.
Notice of claims for which you are seeking more than US$100 must be in writing.
All claims must be made within the time limits set forth previously.
C.
Your notice of claim must include complete shipper and recipient information, as
well as the FedEx tracking number, date of shipment, number of pieces, and shipment
weight. Failure to provide us with notice in the manner and within the time limits set
forth in paragraphs (A) through (B) will result in denial of your claim, and we will have
no liability or obligation to pay your claim. The filing of a lawsuit does not constitute
compliance with these notice provisions.
D.
Written documentation supporting the amount of your claim must be delivered to
us within nine months after the package was tendered to FedEx Express for shipment.
Such documentation may include original purchase invoices, estimates or invoices
for repair, expense statements, appraisals, final confirmation screen if online order
with proof of payment, or other records. These documents must be verifiable to
our satisfaction.
E.
We are not obligated to act on any claim until all transportation charges have
been paid. The claim amount may not be deducted from these charges or from any
outstanding balance owed to us.
F.
FedEx reserves the right to inspect a damaged shipment on the recipient’s premises
as well as the right to retrieve the damaged package for inspection at a FedEx facility.
The terms and conditions applicable to the original shipment (including any declared
value) will govern the disposition of all claims in connection with the shipment, including
any claim relative to the retrieval, inspection or return of the package. When a package
is picked up for inspection, a receipt for the damaged package will be provided if
requested by the recipient. All of the original shipping cartons, packing and contents
must be made available for our inspection and retained until the claim is concluded.
G.
Except in the case of concealed damage, receipt of the shipment by the recipient
without written notice of damage on the airbill is prima facie evidence that the shipment
was delivered in good condition.
H.
We do not accept claims from customers whose packages were tendered to FedEx
through a package consolidator. (See the Package Consolidators [Including FedEx
Authorized ShipCenters] section.)
I.
Shipment-status information is not intended or permitted to be used as the basis to
file a claim.
J.
Only one claim can be filed in connection with a shipment. Acceptance of payment
of a claim shall extinguish any right to recover in connection with that shipment
K.
When we resolve a claim by paying full value for a shipment, we reserve the right to
pick up the package for salvage, and all rights, title to, and interest in the package shall
vest with us.
L.
You can file a claim in the following ways:
Submit claims online at fedex.com/us/claimsonline.
Send written claims, including the completed claim form and supporting
documentation, via the U.S. Postal Service or fax to:
FedEx Cargo Claims Department
P.O. Box 256
Pittsburgh, PA 15230
Fax: 1.877.229.4766
If you fax your completed claim form and supporting documentation, FedEx will
send you a confirmation letter by return fax.
Call customer service at 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 (say “claims”) to obtain
a case number for your claim, then complete a print copy of the claim form. You
may have to submit supporting documentation using FedEx Claims Online or the
mailing address or fax number listed above
M.
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH ANY OF THE ABOVE CONDITIONS WILL RESULT IN THE
DENIAL OF YOUR CLAIM.
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

Don't forget the liability pages
--carl

ajm

Post by ajm »

FYI, I found this on the GFI web site.
--------------------------------------------------
How do I pack a pedal steel guitar for shipment?

When packing the steel for shipment, make sure nothing can move around in the case. Newspaper, cardboard, towels, etc. can be used to make sure that when the lid is shut nothing inside the case (guitar, pedal board, leg bag) can move when it is jostled about, as will likely happen during shipping. The case itself will then need to be covered in cardboard that is usually secured with packing tape. Different shipping companies will have different requirements for packaging a shipment, and how you have the guitar packaged will likely have a bearing on how the shipping company will handle an insurance claim for shipping damage if that occurs, so check with them for specifics. Most shipping stores can package the guitar for you for a fee if you choose. You should insure the shipment for what it would cost you to replace it should it be damaged during shipment.
ajm

Post by ajm »

FYI, from the Williams web site:
---------------------------------------------
Unpacking:

Williams Guitar ships guitars with the guitar case handle exposed through the shipping carton. This is done to help encourage/ensure that the courier companies handle the guitar properly and with care. We advise that customers save the carton in case they ever wish to ship the guitar in the future. We often get requests for additional knee lever installations, copedent changes, etc. and we believe it is best to ship the guitar, in its case, all within a carton. Depending on the shipping method used, your guitar can go through a number of handlers! Tip: it's wise to save all the shipping cartons from all your music product purchases, for the reasons listed above.
ajm

Post by ajm »

From steelguitar.com (the old Carter web site?).
Scroll down the link for shipping info/advice.
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.steelguitar.com/assembly.html

It appears that there may be a broken link/function.
Here is the verbage.

-Insure the steel guitar for its full replacement value.
-Require a signature and return receipt upon delivery.
-Reinforce the divider board as shown above with shipping blocks. (You can make them from a 2" x 4" piece of lumber.)
-Make sure that the steel cannot move side-to-side nor forward and backward in the case. You can use a few SOFT rags to brace the guitar in the case.
-Make sure that the steel's case cannot move side-to-side nor forward and backward in the box. You can use newspaper to brace the case in the box.
-Cross off any old shipping labels when reusing packaging.
-Use a marker to put 1 or 2 thin lines through the return address.
-Use CLEAR Tape to cover all labels so they won't come off the box.
-Keep all shipping records until you can verify that the steel has been received undamaged by the correct person(s).
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

ajm, thank you. I use information like this to come up with my own compilation, when sending to another.

Generally, it's not the shock of hits to the outside as much as it's the shock of the hits of the contents to the inside of the case. The result is broken tuning buttons (Emmons beware), broken toggle switches (Sho-Bud beware).

Shake the case before you pack the case in the carton. If there is any sound, go back and pack the guitar in it's case first. Then move on to packing the case in the carton. Works for me :)
--carl

Rick Myrland

Post by Rick Myrland »

I recently shipped a vintage steel for refurb via UPS; damaged in both directions (there and back).
Mullen G2; Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb; Goodrich L-120
chris ivey

Re: Ups And Seller To Blame

Post by chris ivey »

sorry..i trust damir.
Last edited by chris ivey on 23 May 2016 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

I posted this, and now it can be closed, took a little time, but UPS paid for a new case, and original shipping...
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

deleted
Last edited by Carl Mesrobian on 3 Jul 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--carl

Lee Dassow

Post by Lee Dassow »

I was always reluctant to buy or sell an instrument
as heavey as a D-10 steel guitar and have it shipped.
My experience buying a new steel guitar from a credible manufacturer recently just further cements my conviction of never following that road again. If I cant travel to it I'm not buying it. Same for selling. They can come to my house or I'll meet them within reason. Tenn.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,