uppty steel players

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

A few weeks ago, I tried to play Steel Guitar Rag on my steel with rhythm tracks to see how I would sound, but then I realized it went kinda fast for me. I mainly concentrate on other songs. I love to play "San Antonio Rose"-one of my other favorite Bob Wills songs. I like to play a few George Strait songs, along with a few Hank Williams songs, then I'll play an Alan Jackson song.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

SGR aficionados, knock yourselves out..
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... 20rag&sm=1
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Oh my gosh Barry! That was sickeningly less than ingratiating.
Oh the humanity!
There should have been at least one gratuitous Therapist thrown into that endless list of pointless expounding.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Speaking less as a steel player (as I'm not much of one yet) but more generally, I would say don't be overawed by the Troubadors. Their recording of SGR is a great vehicle for their technical skills, but they could have got the same result from just about any tune (and probably did for all I know). It's no longer a rag, but a ragbag. I expect a lightning bolt for saying so and I'm not saying they weren't great players.

I want to get it sounding as much like Leon McAuliffe as I can before I start trying to personalise it. Or even Sylvester Weaver.

Note that Willie started this thread by inviting comment on Wiggins trills, and only mentioned SGR in passing! As for the trills, I have never understood what they bring - they just seem like an annoying habit to me.

I will shut up now.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Graham

Post by Graham »

Clyde Mattocks wrote:You can treat it with a little respect and not have to be bored with it. It's part of what got us here.
Just some of those who recorded "part of what got us here:"

Bobby Garrett;Buddy Emmons;Sonny Trammel;Billy Robinson;Bobby Bowman;Don Curtis;Gary Carpenter;Jerry Byrd;Noel Boggs;Sonny Curtis;Tom Brumley;Curly Coldiron;Cousin Jody;Bud Isaacs;Buddy Charleton;Buddy Merrill;Jimmy Day;Lloyd Green;Neil Flanz;Pete Drake and Robby Turner.

These are just the versions that I have the recordings of and I'm sure there are a lot more. They run from the 1940's(Jerry Byrd) to 2004(Bobby Bowman)

If it is/was good enough for these players to do, well, I'm just sayin'!
Rebel�
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

I have a instrumental cd of this guy doing country standards, he is very tasteful in his playing and never heard of him before, don't know if he is a forum member or not.

http://youtu.be/NAGSi68cosU
Rittenberry SD10, 2 nashville 112s with telonics speaker, behringer EPQ450 power amp, 705 pups, Telonics FP-100, live steel strings, mogami cords, wet reverb
Willie Sims

Post by Willie Sims »

IAN RAE, I AGREE WITH YOU that anything can be annoying, such as the style that Roy Wiggins played behind Eddie Arnold early recordings. But it seems that it wasn't that annoying to the producers of Arnold's recordings and Eddie Arnold himself, it also appears that the general public like what he did play on Eddie Arnold's records. I personally believe Wiggins playin contributed as much to the regardings as Arnold 's singing. Is it just my opinion. I didn't realize the remark a bout steel guitar, rag would stir up so much discussion. I watched buddy Emmons play it as close to the Leon's version with Bob wills. And we all know what he could have done with jazzing it up. If he had wanted to.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Sorry Willie, I wasn't belittling Wiggins, just registering my personal reaction to that particular trademark - he was obviously a great and popular player.

What you say about Emmons (I've watched the one on Youtube) is very important - it's a good example of how to present something simply and respectfully without walking all over it, but then you'd expect nothing less.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

There's always another side to the coin, which is why I often take the other side in arguments. I guess that's a hold-over from my days on the high-school and college debating teams! :lol:

Anyhow, I never got upset if someone didn't do stuff I requested. (I figured that why they're called "requests") By the same token, I hope no one gets offended if I don't do their request. Instrumental time is usually limited to a few songs a night, and you just can't keep everybody happy.

Also, Since I got an email (thanks Dave!) about my topic drift, I'll share my thoughts on the SGR and Roy Wiggins things. I'm proud to say I contributed to Roy's headstone when he died (something that I heard Eddy Arnold didn't do) but I don't want to rant on that. I do play SGR sometimes, usually in "C" on C6th, so I can throw in some Merle Travis or Jerry Reed licks. I'll also play some of Roy's trills, but normally only in an Eddy Arnold song. By the same token, You won't hear me play Tubb "signatures" anywhere but in a Tubb song. I try to put a lotta variety and different sounds and textures in my stuff, but I don't use a lot of stomps or EFX. (My amp will do just about anything, but only one effect at a time.) I'm not a great player, by any means, but I try to keep myself and the audience entertained while helping the singers do what they do.

Do what fits, unless you're going for a laugh. :P Everyone needs to laugh now and then, so sometimes I'll play the comic, but it's all in good fun.
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Barry Blackwood wrote:SGR aficionados, knock yourselves out..
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... 20rag&sm=1
"About 42,200 results" :whoa:
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

This guy does a pretty good job of the SGR as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHImpSKpd6o
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

I love LRW and Honolulu Nights.
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

Back when I was playing full time in a band with my wife, who was the fiddler, we were requested to play "Steel Guitar Rag" and "Orange Blossom Special" every night, whether we were playing in a bar or an Animal Lodge (Moose, Eagles or Elks). I played Buddy Emmons' version of SGR. As many of you have stated, if the customers want it, you play it, or you won't be there next month (we had month-log gigs). She called the OBS "The Old BS". The worst we had to play was "Elvira" and, later "Achy Breaky Heart", sometimes 2 or 3 times a night!
Jack Aldrich
Carter & ShoBud D10's
D8 & T8 Stringmaster
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Les Cargill

Post by Les Cargill »

We used to sing "Elvira" as "Flu Virus" at random points. Yer average club pa, nobody could tell.
Shorty Rogers

Post by Shorty Rogers »

Barry, my browser still isn't running right after that. :? :\
b0b

Genesis of Steel Guitar Rag

Post by b0b »

Sylvester Weaver: http://youtu.be/plsT3v5tlg4
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Joshua Grange

Post by Joshua Grange »

Too cool b0b !!!!!
Joe Miraglia

Re: Genesis of Steel Guitar Rag

Post by Joe Miraglia »

b0b wrote:Sylvester Weaver: http://youtu.be/plsT3v5tlg4

Back in 1955 when I started to learn "the Steel Guitar Rag" I got recordings by Jerry Byrd, Leon and even Chet Atkins. I never heard the name of Sylvester Weaver from the 1927 recording. You think the Opry would have had him on. Back then you hear about Jimmy Rogers and his bluesy train music. I think we missed the train with that one and we missed out on a lot of talent of the times.I think we should have say "Take it away Sylvester".
Donny Hinson

Re: Genesis of Steel Guitar Rag

Post by Donny Hinson »

Joe Miraglia wrote: I never heard the name of Sylvester Weaver from the 1927 recording. You think the Opry would have had him on. Back then you hear about Jimmy Rogers and his bluesy train music. I think we missed the train with that one and we missed out on a lot of talent of the times. I think we should have say "Take it away Sylvester".
While there was one black Opry star back in the '20s (harmonica player DeFord Bailey) I don't think there were any other black Opry stars until Charley Pride came along in the late '60s. :|