I kind of wish people would stop paying premiums for steels.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Otis

Post by Larry Otis »

When custom shop telecaster's go for $2000 and up it makes me think PS guitars are the best bang for the bucks. I mean what guitar requires that much work to manufacture?
John Scanlon

Post by John Scanlon »

John Scanlon wrote:
Tony Glassman wrote:We need "Obamasteel" where everybody gets the exact same steel, at the exact same price that is built and sold by a single party government manufacturer. No price haggling, no more arguments about which guitar sounds better, etc. :-)

How in the world is this not in violation of forum rules? :eek:
And then there's this:
Herb Steiner wrote:Oh yeah?! :x And let some unelected government bureaucrat tell me what copedent I can use, and what I can't use?!

I don't THINK so!!!
Now that's what I call upping the ante, Herb. :whoa:

PS - Was anyone really "whining" about being "entitled" to buy certain steels on here? I just don't see that in the OP or elsewhere. Steels are expensive, and I'm sure we all wish we could have more than we do, or more expensive ones than our own. I know I do - and there's no whining or entitlement - that's why I'm saving up. Some posts in this thread, however thinly veiled, have derailed the thread at times to the point of being 100 percent off-topic and out-of-bounds, at least to me. Maybe it's just me, though.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

John Scanlon wrote:
John Scanlon wrote:
Tony Glassman wrote:We need "Obamasteel" where everybody gets the exact same steel, at the exact same price that is built and sold by a single party government manufacturer. No price haggling, no more arguments about which guitar sounds better, etc. :-)

How in the world is this not in violation of forum rules? :eek:
And then there's this:
Herb Steiner wrote:Oh yeah?! :x And let some unelected government bureaucrat tell me what copedent I can use, and what I can't use?!

I don't THINK so!!!
Now that's what I call upping the ante, Herb. :whoa:

PS - Was anyone really "whining" about being "entitled" to buy certain steels on here? I just don't see that in the OP or elsewhere. Steels are expensive, and I'm sure we all wish we could have more than we do, or more expensive ones than our own. I know I do - and there's no whining or entitlement - that's why I'm saving up. Some posts in this thread, however thinly veiled, have derailed the thread at times to the point of being 100 percent off-topic and out-of-bounds, at least to me. Maybe it's just me, though.
John
I believe that Dr. Glassman's tongue, and mine, were firmly planted in our respective cheeks. Of course, without knowing me personally, I could see how someone might be somewhat miffed by the "political" inferences. I thought the silliness of the post was obvious enough, but... maybe it's just me. ;)

Off topic, perhaps... but not out of bounds IMHO, though the irony would be lost if placed in the Humor Section of the Forum.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Herb, if you keep calling me Dr. Glassman, I'm gonna start having to send you a bill. :lol:
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

I dunno. I have one of the most expensive steels and one of the least expensive steels in my extensive collection of two (2) pedal steel guitars. Each one sounds different when I am playing them, but both equally sound like an idiot who doesn't know what he is doing is playing them.
I say let the fool chase the tone in the steel and drive up prices all they want. If one buys the best pedal steel on the planet and thinks that it will make them sound better without becoming a better player then they are chasing a pipedream.
The folks who can actually play the steel will always be able to afford one that does the job, at any price. Strange, though, the best players tend to stay with the same pedal steel...go figure. I suppose that the tone is really "in the hands".
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Robert Parent

Post by Robert Parent »

It's not the price of steels increasing but the value of your dollar falling.... Look around at the price on any other item if you don't believe that statement.

Robert
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Actually....I take my above comment back...I would love to have an new emmons u 12 on a single body...no pad...but there is no such instrument....dreams of these instruments keeps happy.
John Scanlon

Post by John Scanlon »

Herb Steiner wrote:I believe that Dr. Glassman's tongue, and mine, were firmly planted in our respective cheeks. Of course, without knowing me personally, I could see how someone might be somewhat miffed by the "political" inferences. I thought the silliness of the post was obvious enough, but... maybe it's just me. ;)
It was indeed (or at least yours was - after all, Tony offered to "to get into the many pitfalls of government regulated medicine or anything else . . . off-forum"), but apparently the tone of my response to yours, Herb, was not nearly as obvious. In any case, that was why I included the "whoa!" emoticon to you.

But I wasn't kidding about my response to the other thing he said about whining and entitlement; I also think it's pretty obvious that - even though it was relating to the psg - it was *not* meant tongue-in-cheek.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Well,feeling "entitled" is perhaps both beyond the scope of the SGF and hardly relevant to most of us who play "that old guy's instrument".Just about every serious steeler I ever met would get the best he could and considered it money well spent.Didn't spend much time flaming higher-end gear because it was out of his financial reach,or because it was built in the United States of America.
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Has the OP disappeared? :)
Sid Hudson

Re: I kind of wish people would stop paying premiums for ste

Post by Sid Hudson »

Jeff Metz Jr. wrote: If you can afford the modern prices ,more power to you! Im not knocking anyone (just jealous :) ) What are your thoughts on this? THanks guys
-Jeff
Reasons:

1. Supply/Demand

2. Inflation----the more money that is in circulation (government printing money), the more the price of everything goes up.

You haven't seen nothin yet.
Kevin Lichtsinn

Post by Kevin Lichtsinn »

If anyone thinks that pedal steels cost too much, I suggest that they try building their own.
Mule Ferguson

Post by Mule Ferguson »

I wish I had invested my $ in steel guitars rather than Bank of America or Wachovia.

Mule
Emmons La Grande D10, Zum Encore, Multicord,Marlen S10 1972, Nashville 112, Evans HVP #2, Peavey Profex ll, Martin, Merle Travis D28M Bigsby Neck.
D28 Henderson, Dobro and Tut Bro. Fender Tele, Stelling Stagehorn Banjo
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Howard Parker wrote:Has the OP disappeared? :)

he probably went out, bought a pedal steel and is practicing......