Leslie effects suggestions.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I haven't heard that unit but I would think that the lack of controls would seriously affect its ability to sound like a Leslie
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Richard,
Yes, it certainly isn't suffering from lack of controls! :D
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Oh, I doubt I would use it. I would just sit and stare at all the knobs. :whoa:
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Yes, it does resemble the cockpit in a 747. :whoa:
James Quackenbush

Post by James Quackenbush »

Here's another nice Leslie Simulator ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqPBkLHTZ-Y
James Quackenbush

Here's another nice Leslie Simulator ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqPBkLHTZ-Y
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

I've been using this lately. The best pedal I've tried over the years.

And I've got one of the Motion Sound Pro 3T units as well.

Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

A really nice mid-priced unit and the one that is my current favorite is the Tech 21 Roto Choir. I have an H&K, Line6 Roto Machine, PODxt. Like the Lex, the Roto Choir has a mic placement feature that brings some great versatility--think of it as a 'throb' control, increasing the amount of chopper-blade pulse vs. more stage-mixed ambience. I have never tried the Lex or the Neo for comparison to the Choir (and would really like to).
James Quackenbush

Jay ,

Strymon makes some FABULOUS pedals ...... Not a bad pedal in the bunch .... I'm looking at the Flint for the great reverb and the various vibrato's that it has .....Talk about PULSE , the Fline can do it in spades as far as vibrato goes .... Jim

Jon,

I have used the Tech 21 COmptortion pedal over the years ....GREAT sounding pedal ..... The "Blonde" pedal sounds great too for a mini Fender pre .... I'll have to give the Roto Choir a listen .....Jim
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I've listened to a lot of the sound clips. One thing I'm thinking: if you really want to sound like a B3 organ, a steel player will have to try and play without vibrato or string bends. If you want to emulate it closely. Like the dobro simulators, there's a big part of it in how you play the notes.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Richard Sinkler

Jon Light wrote:A really nice mid-priced unit and the one that is my current favorite is the Tech 21 Roto Choir. I have an H&K, Line6 Roto Machine, PODxt. Like the Lex, the Roto Choir has a mic placement feature that brings some great versatility--think of it as a 'throb' control, increasing the amount of chopper-blade pulse vs. more stage-mixed ambience. I have never tried the Lex or the Neo for comparison to the Choir (and would really like to).
I also use a roto-Choir. I like it a lot. I get compliments on it. The one thing you have to remember is, it's is not going to make you sound like a B3. Especially when you are playing by yourself. On a bandstand with a whole band, it sounds fairly convincing. At that point, they all probably sound similar to the audience. Of course, playing it in stereo would improve the sound a lot. But again, by the time it reaches the audiences ears, it is mono again. Of course, stereo though the PA would compensate for that. But I am not sure that, that wide of a stereo separation would sound that good. Maybe not having each channel going 100% to each side, mixing the 2, would sound better.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Do these effects typically go after the VP?
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

If you really want your guitar to sound like an organ, you need to team the Leslie sim with a POG 2.

I place my Leslie sim in the effects loop in my rack so it is after the volume pedal.
Richard Sinkler

I always put the sim before the volume pedal.

I also tried the sim with a POG2, and hated it. Got rid of the POG2. Plus, if you are switching between organ and steel sounds in the same song on the fly, you need to press switches on 2 units, which I didn't like.
Gerry Simon

Post by Gerry Simon »

I get a decent organ sound from my setup (steel-freeloader-distortion-pog-mobius-volume ped-zendrive-ventilator-eventide-blue sky-preamp-)

Image[/img]