Guide to tuning an Emmons Push/Pull

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andy DePaule

Re: Pedals down first, At the KEY-HEAD

Post by Andy DePaule »

Tommy Auldridge wrote:I did not read every post on this thread, but right from the start, I say you MUST first tune with the pedals down at the tuning keys at the key-head. After that, tune the open string notes with the lower row of hex screws at the end plate. And then, tune the notes on the strings that lower, with the top row of hex screws. Someone may have already pointed that out. All of this is assuming that the changer is already properly adjusted. If you don't follow this procedure, you will get things out of adjustment, to the point where you are un-necassarily crushing the compression springs that allow for any slack to be taken care of. If you have any thoughts on what I said, please let everyone know. Thanks, Tommy.....
Thanks Tommy,
That first description had my head spinning. Your explanation was short, simple, easy to follow and worked well.
Lynn Stafford set up my D-10 Promat 3 years ago and it stayed in tune really well until a couple of months ago.
I had to tweek the second string.
Been playing since 1975, but this is my first PP steel. Plays so well I don't deserve it. :D
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Bob Snelgrove

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

Any good videos for setting up, repairing a Push Pull besides Clems?