Roland 80 As a Combo Stage and Practice amp

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

I believe if the Ohm rating is the same there should be no problem. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me on the subject can answer more specifically.
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
George McLellan

8 ohm external speaker

Post by George McLellan »

On the external speaker jac on the back panel of my 80XL it says: 8ohm, so that's what I use. I find no loss in power and it makes a big differance.

Geo
Michael Remming

Post by Michael Remming »

Page 9 of my 80XL manual says "Impedance: 8 ohms or less Allowable power input: 80 watts or greater" so I would assume a 8 or 4 ohm speaker would work.
Jim Gilliam

Post by Jim Gilliam »

Hey Guys,

Got my Cube 80XL yesterday and am loving it! Really nice transparent tone. I've got a rehearsal Monday night, a gig Tuesday during the day and another gig Saturday night. I'll give you a report after that. I am thinking about Fred and George's ideas regarding using a 15" extension cab for larger gigs. Maybe a SICA in some kind of cabinet? Thanks for all the advice!

Jim
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

Just received my Cube 80 last night. On Ebay for 200.00 plus shipping!! Very new condition and still had all of the original packing and stickers on it. Wow it is a solid little power house. I goofed around with all of the different settings and effects and settled in on the JC clean channel with a touch of delay and it was very nice. I like the Black Panel setting too. I'm still experimenting with the equalizer. I need a footswitch still, I'm sure I could pick one up at Guitar Center. I was using a Fender Deluxe 90 DSP up till now which is similar, but doesn't have an external speaker jack and has a little larger cabinet. It's a keeper.
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

I asked TC Furlong about using my CB12 split amplifier and where to plug it in to my Cube 80 and he said to use the "line out" and use a shielded regular guitar cable. He said -"do not use the "external speaker" jack as it will definately ruin the Split 12 amp." Also had me turn the little "level" control all the way off and then slowly adjust it back up where I wanted it. Hooked it up and man alive, what a great set up. The 80 is also great just by itself. But with the Furlong Split 12, it is an astounding setup. I am sure a N 112 would work well also.
I use the JC Clean, Black Panel, DD-3 delay, and just the slightest bit of the reverb from the Cube 80.
Jack
Zum D10 8x5,rev pre-amp, TC M300, Split 12, n-112, IZZY, Hilton vp, Geo L, BJS Hughey, Live Steel
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

Jack, your using 2 amps interfaced together? I'm thinking that just by using a 15" external speaker running from the Cube there will be increased projection of sound and better range of tone, and for most situations 75-80 watts is enough power to prevent distortion at higher volume.
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

Fred' the CB12 is really a powered speaker. Seems to work ok. Jack
Zum D10 8x5,rev pre-amp, TC M300, Split 12, n-112, IZZY, Hilton vp, Geo L, BJS Hughey, Live Steel
Jim Gilliam

Post by Jim Gilliam »

I got to try my 80XL on a gig last week and wanted to let you guys know how much I liked it. Great tone! We were doing an outside gig and I used the direct out to the PA, so I didn't get to test in under its own volume. I was supposed to play it Saturday night indoors to test that, but the bass player was a no-show and I ended up playing bass all night. Booo!! I will report more later.

Jim
Jim Gilliam

Post by Jim Gilliam »

I got to try my 80XL on a gig last week and wanted to let you guys know how much I liked it. Great tone! We were doing an outside gig and I used the direct out to the PA, so I didn't get to test in under its own volume. I was supposed to play it Saturday night indoors to test that, but the bass player was a no-show and I ended up playing bass all night. Booo!! I will report more later.

Jim
Landon Roberson

Roland Cube 80XL

Post by Landon Roberson »

I just got my Roland Cube 80XL in yesterday and all I can say is OMG!!! I hooked it up and after a few minutes of tweaking the EQ thanks to Larry Bell telling me how to do this for any amp it had the most amazing sound I have ever heard from my GFI Ultra. I have only been playing since February of this year and I have tried just about every kind of amp and powered speaker you can think of and even tried the Line 6 Pod XT with a powered speaker which was the best sound I had found until I got my Cube 80XL. This little amp is amazing that is all I can say. I used the JC120 setting with a little reverb and delay and it sounds great I also tried the Tweed on the lead side and it is a great sound also it is just a little warmer and fuller than the JC120 but both setting are great. I would recommend this amp to anyone. This is all I will need to play steel at church.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

What settings did you end up using? What did Larry Bell tell you to do that worked for you?
Glad you like the amp!
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Landon Roberson

Brad I used the JC Clean amp with the Bass at 3 O'Clock Mid at 10 O'Clock, Treble at 9 O'Clock and Presence at 10 O'Clock. Delay at about 250ms and reverb plate at about level 4 which is 4 O'Clock on the dial.

Here is what Larry Bell sent me in an email about EQing an amp:

*HOW TO SET THE EQ ON YOUR AMP*
Turn every control to 12 o'clock -- IT WILL BE LOUD -- adjust the volume using PRE-GAIN (if you have it) or VOLUME

Some amps have a PRE-GAIN and a POST-GAIN (sometimes called MASTER VOLUME). If yours does ALWAYS set the POST- or MASTER gain very high (9 or 10) and adjust the output using the PRE-GAIN. (Ignore this if you only have a VOLUME knob).

Get the volume to an appropriate level and listen to the sound. On most amps this will sound pretty good. Listen for what's missing or overbearing while you are adjusting all the controls.

Add bass until it woofs (starts to get muddy on the low end) -- then back off until it still has body but isn't too bass-heavy.

Add treble until it gets crispy -- tinny, brassy -- then back off until the high end has punch and clarity but not harsh highs.

If you have parametric midrange EQ, set the frequency to somewhere between 700 and 900 and listen to what it sounds like cut slightly (9 or 10 o'clock). Season to taste.

If you have presence -- that's ultra highs and mine is usually 0 to 3 (6 to 8 o'clock). A little goes a long way in most rooms.

Remember -- you need to go through that process every time you move your rig.
Landon Roberson

Just tried my Acoustic guitar and my ES335 Electric guitar thru the Roland Cube 80XL and it is amazing for everything, my acoustic, my electric and also my pedal steel. Below are the setting that I use for each guitar you may need to tweak a little for your taste.

Roland Cube 80XL Settings

Acoustic
Lead Channel Acoustic
Bass – 10 O’clock
Mid – 9 O’clock
Treble – 9 O’clock
Presence – 9 O’clock
Delay – 7 O’clock
Reverb – Plate 4 O’clock

Electric Guitar
Lead Channel Tweed
Bass – 10 O’clock