RIP Phil Coontz!! funeral details added

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Hank Ruf

Post by Hank Ruf »

Oh how sad it is to hear this. Phil will be missed. My prayers go out to his family.
James Leaman

Post by James Leaman »

I am shocked and saddened. I met Phil at the Dairy Show in March right after he and his singing base player Bill Jordan brought the house down. Their set is one I will never forget and I have to say the entire audience was stunned. A very special moment indeed.

My thoughts and prayers are with Phil's family. Rip Phil.

Jim
Al Miller

Phil

Post by Al Miller »

Several Folks have ask about arrangements for phil here is what we know:
he is being taken back to ohio to his hometown of Circleville to be laid to rest im not sure as of yet what the details are but should find that out today sometime. we are planning a memorial service and a benifit to help with expenses for the family at the God And Country Theatre here in Branson in the next week or so. Me or someone will post an update as soon as we no more.
Boo Miller
AL (BOO) Miller
Mullen D10
76 Emmons P/P
2022 65 Emmons Resound P/P D10
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Boo, I most likely will not be able to be at the benefit but would like to hekp. Would you please post an address where we might send something to help out.
Thanks,
Jerry
Bill Rudolph

Post by Bill Rudolph »

Tim and I are greatly saddened by Phil's passing.
He and Bill Jordan received two standing ovations at the last Wisconsin show and rightly so.
A really nice guy and fun to be around.
He will be deeply missed by all who knew him.

Kind regards,

Bill and Tim Rudolph
Williams Guitar Company, LLC
Al Miller

Phil

Post by Al Miller »

I am still waiting to hear from Mike Arledge about the arrangements for phil. he is on his way to Ohio now he should call soon. as for sending monetary help for his family you can send your donations to :
GOD AND COUNTRY THEATRE 1840 w hwy 76 Branson ,Mo 65672 C/O Phil Coontz Memorial fund
please make checks and M/O payable to The Estate of Walter P. Coontz. there is a tenative date of may 16th for the memorial service. the service will be held at the GOD AND COUNTRY THEATRE with a pot luck dinner , auction and music to follow we are still trying to put together the line up but im sure i can count on wade landry & His guys to host the music portion. if anyone can help out please shoot me an email. if you have cards and letters please send them to the above address and we will see that they get to the family. i spoke with phils Sons this morning and they send there thanks and know that our family here is praying with them.
Sincerly
Boo Miller
booandlisa@msn.com
AL (BOO) Miller
Mullen D10
76 Emmons P/P
Howard Kalish

Post by Howard Kalish »

I am so sad to hear about the passing of Phil Coontz. I didn’t know him well, but got to meet him pick a little with him circa 1990 at Henry’s in Austin. He and some of the other Moe Bandy guys would come out to hear Don Walser. We had Jimmy Day playing with us and Phil would set up his steel next to Jimmy and we’d have twin steels. Phil was a fantastic player and a very friendly person. I'd always hoped I'd run into him again. Another fond memory from Henry’s. Rest in Peace Phil. It's obvious from this forum thread that you're much loved for your music and as a person.
Al Miller

Phil

Post by Al Miller »

Ok Folks i just got word about Phils funeral details for anyone wanting to attend:
OLIVER-Cheek Funeral Home 420 Main st w Ashville,Oh 43103
Phone (740)983-6414

Visitation/Viewing Monday May 3rd 2010
2-4pm - 6-8pm
Funeral/Burial Tuesday may 4th 2010
12:00 Noon
AL (BOO) Miller
Mullen D10
76 Emmons P/P
Pat Carlson

Post by Pat Carlson »

Phil always made us feel quite welcome in Branson , may the good lord be with the Coontz family and give them peace at this trying time.
The Lone Prairie Steeler Pat
Doug Jones

Post by Doug Jones »

I met Phil many years ago. Back in his Jean Shepard days he gave me the tour of Nashville. We became good friends over the years and swapped many a lick. What a loss of such a big-hearted brother. I will miss him greatly!
J PARKER

Phil

Post by J PARKER »

This is sure sad news. I will keep the family in my prayers.
Leland Darst

Post by Leland Darst »

This is such sad news. Phil was such a nice person and he really enjoyed his music. Just not too long ago he and i were talking about getting together and catching up. He will be greatly missed. My heart and prayers go out to his family. Ive known Phill since the very early 70s.

"Rest in peace ole freind"

Leland Darst
Ron Elliott

RIP Phil

Post by Ron Elliott »

We were friends for many years..Words fail me.
Rest in peace dear friend.
Ron Elliott
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I last saw Phil at the Iowa show and we talked ~Buds. What a shock & tragedy. May the good Lord give strength & comfort to the family during this most difficult time. Very sad and a reminder of how short & fragile life really is.
Steve Matlock

Post by Steve Matlock »

Shocked and saddened to hear of Phil's passing. A great player and friend is gone. We'll always remember you Phil.
BOBBY JACKS

Shocker

Post by BOBBY JACKS »

What A Great Friend Phil was,Been Listening to him and Bill everyday for over a month now,unbelivable !!
Jerry Foster

Post by Jerry Foster »

Phil will really be missed buy all who knew him.I just pray for his family & friends. may god bless all. Jerry F.
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

MY sympathy's to his family and to all his many friends, my condolences to them all.
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
BMI dealer,Classic VIBE 100 amp... SIT strings..
Jerome Dube

Post by Jerome Dube »

I am saddened to read this, I had a chance to see Phil play in Wisconsin Rapids this past spring, what a player. Our hearts go out to Phils Family. Our prayers are for you. :(

Jerome & Cindy Dube
Jerome Dube
Richard Bass

Post by Richard Bass »

So sad. Good friend for many years. Rough week my friends.
I want to die from exhaustion not boredom.
ROBERT LEE CRIGGER

Post by ROBERT LEE CRIGGER »

This news about Phil is so shocking to me it's hard to respond! I played piano with Jean Shepard for 32 years and worked many of them with Phil. I can only think of good things when I think of Phil. The last time I saw him was backstage at the Opry 2-3 years ago and he had lost a lot of weight and really looked good and was having a really good time visiting with his old friends and all of us will sorely miss Phils ready smile and great picking! Jean's band was cut back on the Opry over a year ago and I was one of 4 who were dropped by the management, so I have been "out of the loop" for awhile and just found out about Phil. I am SO sorry to hear this and sorry it took me so long to find out about Phil's leaving us. May GOD deal gently with his family as only HE can. We will miss you greatly, Phil...and will see you again!