Digitech Pedal Questions

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Wolverton

where to put the vol. pedal?

Post by Tom Wolverton »

You guys will laugh, but gosh, I'm thinking, these things are so inexpensive, why not run two of them? For overdrive tone, put one before the VP and for reverb and delay, put another one after the VP. Then, you have two right there and in a pinch, if one fails, you shift all to the other one. Just a crazy idea.

By the way, that RP150 dobro simulator patch you guys posted is working fairly well for me as a BU in case my MatchBro fails. I use it often at rehearsals. Not bad at all. : )
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Dave Seddon

Post by Dave Seddon »

I use an "RP150" and before that the "RP100" I think Digitech takes a lot of beating. Many Steel players go on about how much better the stomp boxes are than multi-fx units and I suppose from a musicians point of view they may be, but does anyone out there listening know the difference. Is it worth spending a load of money when you can get a satisfactory effect for half the price or less. I wouldn't mind betting a lot of musicians wouldn't know the difference if they didn't actually know what the player was using. ???
Dave.
Michael Robertson

Talent/Stomp Boxes

Post by Michael Robertson »

Dave, the best thing for me about the RP150 is its size.
For all that it is capable of and crammed into a relative small box its great.
For live music the less I have to carry in, hook up and carry out the better.
The individual “Talent/Stomp” boxes may very well sound better, for recording, I don’t know.
Each time I have gone into a studio the house usually has far better processing gear than I can carry in a gig bag.
I think I have had my share of the latest hot ticket for delay, reverb, compressor, phase shifter and the list goes on. But none of them were as versatile. Plus you can have presets that are perfect for specific songs or material.
Today the electronics hardware is so small and effective I sometimes think I’m paying for the metal box and the stomp switch.
I will admit I have reservations about Lexicon being in the RP150, just like I don’t see Vox AC30 or a Highwatt Custom 100 either. All the samples are software generated, we know that, and it really doesn’t matter because all we need is something that sounds close for the sake of the material.
Over forty years of lugging stuff in and out this little box works just fine.
Forty years! Crap has it been that long? I thought I would play better by now!
No Avatar only a picture of my Mentor.
Mitch Adelman

Post by Mitch Adelman »

Hi Mike,
I just assumed you ran it direct since you had the RP 150 on your stand close to your steel.Just guessed. Despite the manual saying to go from unit to return jack (pre eq) I agree now with Dick and it seems to sound more lively and better from the unit into the hi input with unit set on amp.I was getting bad feedback till I figured out how to lower preset volume on unit and on computer.I am using it in the post eq effects loop on the 112 with steel into hi input.
Since I switch to guitar alot, I have some twang and overdrive presets using the amp-cab models I can switch to.Pretty cool you can control the overdrive of a "Tweed Champ" going into a bassman cab! First gig with it this weekend so I've been practicing disaster control trying to master the thing. Regardless, great sounds for the ridiculous low price. I've got drawers full of Boss and boutique pedals that will stay home for a while.Thanks for telling me about it for steel.
Michael Robertson

Have a good one

Your welcome Mitch
I play guitar as well and the presets I have made for it work very well.
Have fun and good luck at your next gig.
Take care
Michael Robertson

First gig?

Mitch Adelman wrote: First gig with it this weekend so I've been practicing disaster control trying to master the thing.
Well Mitch we're waiting....... How was the gig and did your disaster control workout for you?
Mitch Adelman

Post by Mitch Adelman »

Mike,
Thanks for asking. Well the RP150 was great but I had a few glitches with a guitar preset. I had the OD preset volume too high so I got a few scowls from the band but since I practiced at home I was able to lower the preset volume and store it during break. The lexicon reverbs for the steel were great and were much better than my RV3. The biggest problem was a cord that went bad to the RP 150 in the effects loop and caused panic at the beginning of the tune. I even was happy with the "acoustic" preset on a couple of guitar tunes.The band liked the results, the crowd didn't complain!! All in all, she's a keeper. I have used it twice and will be out again for New Years. All for 69.00!! Thanks Mike!
Michael Robertson

Tickled

Mitch I’m tickled to hear all went well for you.
The more you use it the more familiar you will be to make changes on the fly.
Remember if you get a great setting for a room or special song you can store it in a channel and review it later after the gig and then decide if it is something you want to have for instant recall.
Keep at it.
Michael

Landon Roberson

Post by Landon Roberson »

I have a RP250 but when I use the volume pedal I get signal loss I thought it was the amp for awhile but I then turned the EXP pedal off and connected a dunlop volume pedal in the chain and the volume was much louder and more headroom can you tell me what to do to use the volume pedal on the RP250 because I love it if I can get the same signal strength out of it that I get with a regular volume pedal.
Dustin Rigsby

I'm baaaaack

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

Well Fellas..... I'm bringing back this thread for a coupla reasons. First, shortly after this post I left my band and went on hiatis for nearly a year. I pretty much didn't want anything to do with psg. I had surgery and during my recovery,re-discovered what it is about pedal steel that I love ! So I experimented with stomp boxes and such. And the winner is the Digitech RP 150 ! Thanx to Steve English and Dick Sexton for the patches and the instructions. I do have a couple of more questions though. First, I can't decide if I want to run this box in front of the pre-amp on the reno 400 or in the effects loop. Second, do any of y'all run the peavey 3 wire or 5 wire setups with this box ?
D.S. Rigsby