Alabama Steel Guitar Association

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Bill Hamner

Post by Bill Hamner »

Tyler and Charlie Morrison did a wonderful job at Ted's service. I know Ted had to be smiling.
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

"GANG" Tim Bridges has worked very hard to sponsor our Jam on Saturday the 14th. Our "FIRST LADY" Laney Hicks will be performing a "Special" concert at 5.00. Her hubby, Russell, (RUSS) will be teaching a seminar starting at 9.00 till 11.00. The Jam will start shortly after Russ's seminar. We all need to attend if at all possible. Russ and Laney are doing this for US. Lets all show our appreciation by attending , enjoying the atmosphere, the music and each other on Saturday. Please make your plans to attend.
Bill
billy tam

Post by billy tam »

Hey Bill, Looks lilke last Sat. was a bad day to play SEC football on the road. My favorite team and one of my least favorite both failed to show up at their respective games. I hate hogs and gators!!!
Stay in touch,
Billy
Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

HERE ARE THE DIRECTIONS

*From I-65 (either direction) get off at Exit 252

*Go SOUTH on HWY 31 for approximately 1 mile.

*Turn LEFT onto PATTON CHAPEL ROAD
(at this intersection landmarks are: Crown Nissan on right and Full Moon BBQ on the left)

* PATTON CHAPEL ROAD becomes ROCKY RIDGE ROAD

* Go approximately 3 miles, Rocky Ridge Market and Deli is on the right, next to El Pablano Mexican Restaurant.

Here is their website: Rocky Ridge Market and Deli

I can't wait to see you all there. For those of you that don't know me, I'll be the little short guy with thick, wavy hair, weighing about a buck-50. Image

Blessings,
BigB

------------------
<font color="blue"><font size="3">Prevent Juvenile delinquecy...teach children to STEEL</font>

<font color="blue"><font size="2">1976 MSA D-10 8+4, G&L Skyhawk, 1920 Gibson A Mandolin, Fender DPC750 w/Tubefex, Custom Twin Tweed Cabs w/ Peavey 1504's, 70's Fender Super Reverb, Takamine 6-String</font>

Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Brother Bryan,
For the folks who don't know you, What color is that wavy hair?? Thanks for posting directions. I just might make it without getting (lost).
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Billy, Man you sure got that right!!!! My Tigers have a chance at redemption Saturday night. If they don't show up, then the season is a wash. I still believe both our teams will be ranked high and get good bowl games. Darn sure don't want to play ya'll again!! We are having a good one Saturday. Some good pickin and good fellowship in B-ham. Bill
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

October 14th and 15th were very good for the ASGA. We were truly Blessed. Thanks to Tim Bridges who put the Jam together. He had all the basses covered. Good location, good pickers, good sound, good bands, good back up bands. Good every thing. Thanks to "Bishop Bill" Simmons for all his hard work also. The day started with a two hour seminar with Russ Hicks. Russ gave us some good instruction, even for very poor players like myself. If you ever have an opportunity to attend one of Russ's seminars, by all means make it. It was the best $30.00 I have ever spent concerning steel. After the seminar Tim started the Jam. The Rocky Ridge Deli and Market was an excellent venue. The owners and employees laid out the red carpet for us.They were very accomadating to all our needs. The "COOK" also packs some pretty mean Vocals to boot. All the players did a , to quote Don Lynch, "SUPER GOOD JOB". Rob Parker not only sang with almost all the players, he picked and sang a set himself. He was a crowd pleaser all day. We were very happy to meet some new players from North Alabama and get to talk and mingle with them. Jeremy Drawbaugh is a name you are going to hear and hear often. He is the real deal. Thanks for attending and picking Jeremy. Sorry your Dad was not yet feeling up to attending. Hope ypou get well soon Bob. We missed you. Laney closed out the show with a concert of beautiful country songs. Tyler Hall, A/K/A "THE KID", Jeremy D. Chuck Campbell, Bishop Bill Simmons all played a song with Laney. The "KID" almost had the crowd crying with his tear jerking style. After the show it was off to the Bar-B Que joint for dinner. Good food and good fellowship there. Sunday morning was history in the making. Brother Bryan Knox allowed Russ and Laney to present their first music ministry. Several members of the Alabama Gang were there to support Laney in her effort. She and Russ were great. What a beautiful way to end a great weekend by having Russ and Laney participate in a Church Service. Brother Bryan must have been impressed as he Preached a good one. Thanks to Tim, Bill Rob, Russ, Laney, Ernie Cawby and his family, and all who played a part in this great weekend. If I left anyone out, and I am sure I did, it is not intentional. To Top it all off, Saturday was my Birthday. It was by far, the best Birthday I have ever had, bar none. Thank you ALABAMA GANG, for making my Birthday so special.
Bill
Tyler Hall

Post by Tyler Hall »

I think I spotted that guy ya'll were talking about...
He was walking to Nashville with a new Black LeGrande III on his back. Image
----------------
"The Kid"
D-10 Emmons LeGrande III, D-10 Fessenden, 2 Session 500's<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tyler Hall on 22 October 2006 at 01:17 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Big Plans are being made for our 2nd annual Show in February. Things are beginning to fall in place.
Jeremy Drawbaugh

Post by Jeremy Drawbaugh »

YOU CAN COUNT ME IN FOR FEB. I WILL BE THERE AND THIS TIME I BELIEVE MY WHOLE FAMILY WILL BE COMING. WHERE DO WE NEED TO MAKE A RESERVATION AT FOR HOTEL.

------------------
jdawg
carter d-10
nashville 1000
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

Jeremy,

Plans are being finalized right now by Ricky Cottle as to the hotel. We are aspiring to negotiate good rates with a ballroom to host the show; also, free parking in a good location.

Glad to hear you and your family are making plans to be at the show. We definitely want to hear some more of your steelin'.

As to the players list, that is an occurring process that stands to be monsterous. We have also determined the ASGA Hall Of Fame Inductees for 2007. Last year it was Don Helms and Julian Tharpe. This years recipients are deserving by anyones standards. I bet if people would go to www.alabamasteelguitars.com they will be able to easily guess who are the inductees. Just review the list of Alabama Players who reached celebrity status. It is quite impressive.

I'm looking forward to it BIG TIME! This is going to be the premier show in the Southeast. Thanks Bill Cook for getting the ball rolling a year ago. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tim Bridges on 28 October 2006 at 05:09 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tim Bridges on 28 October 2006 at 05:10 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jimmy Campbell

Post by Jimmy Campbell »

Tim

I cant get the website to come up.
May be something on this ISP.
Thanks
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

Jimmy, try the link again. I had an "s" that shouldn't have beeen there.
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

I just got word that "THE KID" A/K/A Tyler Hall, got a gig up in the Ozarks. Got a traveling job. Good Luck "KID".
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Post by Dr. Hugh Jeffreys »

I'm all for promotion/advancement of pedal steel; we spend a good bit of time in B'ham and Gulf Shores (will be in Orange Beach next week). I'll be watching for developments of your Association. HJ
Lana Rosselli

Post by Lana Rosselli »

Hey Bill - just exactly when is this February show? I gotta get down there and check you guys out. I have to do some traveling with my day job and I hope I can swing a trip to 'bama. Let me know!!

Oh, and I heard about the Kid's new gig too. Imagine that - spend a few days visiting with Terry Bethel and boom...he's got himself a gig! I wish him the best - hey who's gonna ask who to keep him outta trouble?

Miss Lana
Tyler Hall

Post by Tyler Hall »

Man, when people find out you're an Emmons player, all kind of doors open up...

Yeah, my buddy Terry told me about a job playing on the road. Right now we're in South Dakota. We'll be out for 30 days. Image

Ya'll be good...
------------------
D-10 Emmons LeGrande III, D-10 Fessenden, Nashville 112, 2 Session 500's
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Miss Lana,
We are still trying to negoiate a contract for the date and venue. Will let you know as soon as we sign. As for "THE KID", since he is up your way I was hoping you had appointed someone to "Watch Over " "THE KID". I am concerned now. Traveling up in the Dakotas in that cold cold weather, the boys may have picked up some company to keep them warm on the bus. I am not sure that "THE KID" has been properly taught the proper Protocol/manners concerning Groupies!! I guess he has to grow up and learn the tricks of the trade sometimes. Maybe you can find out the rest of the band members and maybe get a report on "THE KID".
Thanks for all you do.
Bill
Lana Rosselli

Post by Lana Rosselli »

Oh Boy - I guess I'll have to hope Terry and the Branson Boys gave him some 'helpful road tips.' But I'm sure the band is helping The Kid cut his teeth. Image

Miss Lana<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Lana Rosselli on 06 November 2006 at 04:30 PM.]</p></FONT>
J PARKER

Post by J PARKER »

Wanted to say a big hello to all the alabama steel players and let you know i will be playing the georgiana theatre Nov. 10th in case any of you live close and would like to drop by and say hello. Would enjoy meeting some of you guys there in that area. Jim
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Although I currently live just across the stateline in Mississippi, I was born and raised in Alabama, and all my relatives are still there.

I just looked at the Alabama steel guitar website, and had no idea that so many legends of the steel guitar were from there. I knew about Lloyd Green living at Mobile, and Jimmy Day being from Tuscaloosa, but the others were news to me. Thanks for the info!

I would love to make it to some of your shows sometime. Sounds like it would be very enjoyable. What are the requirements for membership into the Alabama steel association?

Thanks,
Lem S.
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

Well, it starts with a nominal membership fee of $10-$20. However, we really need some volunteers to serve on committees. These committees, just like with St. Louis and Dallas, really determine the outcome of the association. Without folks rolling up their sleeves and contributing time, it will never fulfill its true potential.

We'd love to have you join us,
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

OK Boys and Girls. Our second annual Steel Guitar Show will be held in the Sheraton Hotel, Birmingham, Alabama January 19th and 20th. Mark your calendars for one of The South's Best Steel Guitar Shows. Will have many Alabama, Georgia, and Florida Pickers. Details on Rooms etc. will be posted later. Get "Ready".
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Hey Bill,
Looks like a great time for steel guitar in the South! The GaSGA will have their sixth Georgia Peach Jam in Hollonville,GA on December 3rd, the Alabama Gang has another blockbuster coming in January, and The Northwest Georgia Steel Guitar Show in Atlanta in February featuing a host of top name players. I still think we need to have the Alabama Gang and the Georgia Gang put something on together so we can get to know our neighbors! Hope to see you all real soon.
Roger
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

Roger,

It sure would be a big time if we combined all three shows for an annual SE USA show. Think the NTSGA would want in on this?