When You Think Of Speed...

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Bill Hankey wrote:Theresa,

Thanks for speaking out, and reminding me to stay on track. The forum is enriched by your membership.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Theresa,

It's quite obvious that your hereditary traits would by nature exemplify that one in 100,000,000 steel players are destined to come up second best with any variences of trying to measure up to YOU KNOW WHO. No matter that you have apparently slipped into the bounds of hounds of unpredictable members on the forum, you are to be respected from whence you came, and became bound for a lifetime association with our finest musicians.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

BARRY, when I mentioned to PETER that "I had arrived", you commented in your last post by stating that, "Some people are more easily satisfied, than others." Very true, provided that I'm not included in the congregation.
Bill, I was merely commenting on your words. You had already included yourself in the congregation at that point.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Joe Casey,

Smiley Roberts is a great favorite of mine. He has nothing to prove wherever he performs. He is a master of his musical skills. I've never met a finer gentleman, in all my travels. Your message about knowing when to play, and when not to play the steel as a bandmember, is accurate, and should be taken into account by those starting out in bands. There are those players (Ralph Mooney) comes to mind, who would overplay to the delight of steel guitar enthusiasts, including yours truly. Then there are those whose playing is missed entirely in a noisy band situation. Thanks Joe, for commenting in the thread involving the fastest picks on land, in the air, or on water.
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

THE INCREDIBLE MR KNOW IT ALL!!!!!

In her book, Radical Careering, Sally Hogshead puts it this way: Aspire to be the dumbest person in the room. Sally makes a good point. And Scott Berkun can tell you exactly why.

“The problem with smart people is that they like to be right and sometimes will defend ideas to the death rather than admit they’re wrong. This is bad. Worse, if they got away with it when they were young, they’ve probably built an ego around being right, and will therefore defend their perfect record of invented righteousness to the death. Smart people often fall into the trap of preferring to be right even if it’s based in delusion.”

Hankey, I have been owned by over 20 cats in my lifetime, many of them purebred Siamese. You DO NOT know a thing about cats based upon your earlier statement.
Those "purebred" cats can be much more vicious than blotched or spotted pets.
Let me tell you something, cats know who to love and who not to love (well dogs too) and you, obviously, were subjected to a very smart cat!!!

I'm sending these two guys to finish the work of their predecessor.

Once again, not laughing with you.......but at cha buddy boy!

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

CC,

I boarded two cats for a family member last year, after their owner's apartment suffered fire damage. The female became so affectionate that I couldn't move about the house without first petting her. When I tried to go upstairs, she would dash ahead of me and flop down on the padded stairs in front of me. Who could resist petting her? When their owner managed to locate in another rental apartment, they were transported to their new home. I treated those cats to the run of the house. So, for animal lovers who may have read that I was inspired to act accordingly, and didn't, with the wiliest pussycat in Boston. Just roll over and get some sleep. Thanks for those colorful pictures. My wife and sister-in law love cats. While I was rolling the screen, they enjoyed looking at your pets. Wouldn't it be exciting if we could transpose their quick reflexes to the art of playing steel? CC, I think I'll survive in spite of your low opinion of me. Thanks for your contributions to the speed related thread.
Don Drummer

hankey et al

Post by Don Drummer »

I read the first page when it was posted. When it got to page eight I read that one. Now page 15! Are any records being broken here? Don D.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

I think Bill is trying to set the record for longevity and topic drift in one thread. :|
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Barry,

No, I've been given the opportunity too write about everyone's favorite buddy. Thanks to all for responding, and to scare up a few memories. After all, if our memories would become more certain, we'd all be much better situated.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 15 Feb 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b0b

Re: hankey et al

Post by b0b »

Don Drummer wrote:I read the first page when it was posted. When it got to page eight I read that one. Now page 15! Are any records being broken here? Don D.
Not by a long shot.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

When I think of speed, I think of "NASCAR"! :)
John McGlothlin

Post by John McGlothlin »

THE HURRIER I GO, THE BEHINDER I GET. :roll:
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Theresa Galbraith wrote:When I think of speed, I think of.....
Montezuma's Revenge
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

`Montezuma's Revenge`

One case where a lack of speed can cause skidmarks! :roll:

Arch.
I'm well behaved, so there!
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Archie,

If you haven't played steel in a swankier packed house with the affliction, please refrain from trivializing the quandary........
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

It was the refrain that brought on the affliction :eek:

Aaaaarghch!
I'm well behaved, so there!
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Archie,

Communicable afflictions can be controlled with soap and water, and visual selectivities of food services.
Nail biting is absolutely forbidden.
Jerry Fleming

Post by Jerry Fleming »

Bill Hankey wrote:Jerry F.,

Two of the most difficult challenges in life are courtships and steel guitars! Perhaps you would allow that bit of truth to be less hot air than you have deemed other written messages to be. No?
Bill,

Exactly what does your statement addressed to me have to with steel guitar or speed picking?

I am amazed at the amount of time you spend typing and never answer a simple question. You have arrived. OK, tell us about your musical journey, influences practice techniques and share your work.

I participate on this forum to share my love of the steel guitar. Everyone has different taste and opinions I respect that. You should show a little respect to others regardless of their abilities. My favorite memories are when I was just beginning and someone would take the time to show me a lick. Kindness and respect foster friendship. I am very blessed to have many friends and would rather be known and a nice guy than a killer player.

With that said share your knowledge of the steel guitar and playing not just your opinions on every thing else DC to light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=e ... re=related

Jerry
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Jerry,

That is mighty fine playing. You are a credit to the instrument. Not a bit of fault can be found with your creative playing. It's a reflection of how I feel about country music. I've been sitting here amazed at what I'm hearing in your playing. No more harsh words to the one who plays so well.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

b0b,

In my note to Barry, I was trying to make a correction to no avail. The type appears (to o) but changes upon trying to edit. It is shown just above your photo. Please don't spend any time with the problem. Let me check for a recurrence of the spaced out x-tra letter oh. Thanks..
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Don Drummer,

I tried stepping up the interest in this topic, and in doing so, realized that the responses started to mount rather suddenly. It wasn't long before the eggs commenced to fly in my direction, as sleepy somnambulists commenced to awaken and offer from their "DO NOT DISTURB" quarters, input that could be considered TESTY. Knowing fully well, that I was positioned on a sturdy steed, one that would carry the words of truth through the labyrinth of mixed opinions, I continued to ride the subject. I am learning that there are countless players throughout our land, who have made strong commitments in some central plan, that they may rise above the difficult task of "PAYING THEIR DUES". It then becomes a standard of useful information to guide the progress of realistic approaches to mastering a very difficult instrument, known by most as the pedal steel guitar.
Carroll Hale

Post by Carroll Hale »

Theresa Galbraith wrote:When I think of speed, I think of "NASCAR"! :)
except this week.....there was rain to take the "speed" out of the equation......glad kenseth won....he is a nice young man...but, I sure wish they could have finished the race...seeems unfair to others.....oh well..rules are rules...

be careful what you say on here....sometimes it gets misinterpreted and afore ya know it...
....the whole thread is hi jacked...way off subject"......read some earlier posts..believe me I know.....guess I should shut up and get outta here... :D :D :D .
Carroll Hale

Post by Carroll Hale »

Bill Hankey wrote:Carroll,

Your reply is very much appreciated. Have fun with Picking on your Dobro.

"hey..mr bill...I had a wonderful weekend...pickin and grinnin and sippin some good wine.....cant get much better than that....picked with an older gentleman...with over 40 yrs playin dobro...now that fellow taught me some new tricks....hope all of yall had a great weekend also........... :D :o

Your comments stimulates the desire to read. Thanks...
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Ulric Utsi-
Ahlin,

I would enjoy a lengthy import on matters that may coax members to let fly with both barrels of prudent and skilled explanatory information. It may benefit others who are in quest of certain unsolved problems, if discussed in detail. I took the liberty of placing Buddy Emmons at the very top of speed pickers. Selecting topics that bear the marks of neutralization would remove any doubts in the future of unwelcome intrusions in the privacy of heralded performers on the steel guitar. I was denounced a few days ago, supposedly ignorant of cat behaviorism. Actually, in reality, I've spent as much time as the average person, trying to understand a cat's curiosity. If people could share in the same quickness to explore the unknown, as a common cat is always doing, think of how much further they may have progressed in their musical studies. Pride will puff up members of the animal kingdom. I don't know how much humans are affected by the same sense of pride.