About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Image[/img]
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Bill M.

Do the animals a REAL favor. Go visit animal farms!
Check out how they are treated.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Do the animals a REAL favor. Go visit animal farms!
Check out how they are treated.
Bill, how will my visiting an "animal farm" be doing them a "REAL favor?" :?
Oh, and incidentally, after ignoring my question, please,

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Image So much for Hats and Boots. :roll:
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

b0b,

I promise to try to keep with the topic. If the topic drops to a level that clearly shows a mounting disinterested membership, I'll make no attempts to reawaken an enjoyable discussion, albeit the temptation is always within me to do so.
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Bill Hankey wrote: I'll be visiting Jim at Country Tack to look over his spring shipments of newly styled boots and western hats.
Bill

Do yourself a favor and get a pair of custom boots made by Jimmie Luke Covington. Covington is in Gardner -- so east of you about half way through the state. You can get a left boot that fits your left foot and a right boot that fits your right foot. You can also choose how your boots will look and perhaps have a few words inlaid in the shafts or foxed across the vamp?

Covington comes recommended by my bootmaker. You can find Jimmie Luke Covington on your Google Machine.

Chris Lucker
Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Bill Hankey wrote:Bill M.

Go visit animal farms!
You give me an idea.

The next pair of boots I have made I will have an ant farm inlaid in the shafts!
Chris Lucker
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Bill Hankey wrote: I'll be visiting Jim at Country Tack to look over his spring shipments of newly styled boots and western hats.
Bill

Do yourself a favor and get a pair of custom boots made by Jimmie Luke Covington. Covington is in Gardner -- so east of you about half way through the state. You can get a left boot that fits your left foot and a right boot that fits your right foot. You can also choose how your boots will look and perhaps have a few words inlaid in the shafts or foxed across the vamp?

Covington comes recommended by my bootmaker. You can find Jimmie Luke Covington on your Google Machine.

Chris Lucker
Chris Lucker
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Chris L.

Thanks! Tommy Cass lives in Gardner. I'd sure like to see Tom again. It isn't possible to exceed by comparison, Tom's gentlemanlike qualities. Very few steel players can measure up to his congeniality.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Bill Hankey wrote:and don't forget the hat tricks.
Now we're discussing hockey??? ;-)
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Bill Hankey wrote:Ward,

You have a lovely granddaughter. :)
I agree with Mr. Hankey.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Ward Skinner

Post by Ward Skinner »

Rick and Bill, thanks for your kind comments. We're very proud of her. She's in 1st grade with all A's and reading at an advanced level. My wife especially was highly instrumental in her formative years till just recently, she did great job and taught her well - there is a special bond there. And yes, we are still experiencing empty nest syndrome (ENS). I think she's ready for music lessons and think piano is the place to start, which will be soon.

With age comes wisdom, so grandparents can bloody parents' noses we're so much better. Kinda like playing the steel guitar, but in reverse. :)
Ward Skinner

Post by Ward Skinner »

Oh, and Lee, you're a southern boy and you think hockey? :)

When I hear hat trick I think of fishing and darts. My friend Capt George, whose fishing boats we're all called The Hat Trick, was/is a dart player supreme. 3 bulls in a row is a hat trick. Today he started his new job and took command of The Texas Responder out of Galveston, an oil recovery ship. Times are hard even for ship captains, sounds like a great job for him. Texas Responder
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

So far, there have been 285 responses and 8435 views to this self indulgent thread about nothing.

285 responses: Figure the average response takes about 5 minutes to write. So, doing the math....285 x 5 = 1425 minutes or 23.75 hours wasted responding to this thread.

8435 views @ maybe 1 min each = 140 hrs similarly wasted.

That's a total of nearly 165 hours of lost steel playing time

Bill Hankey = Time Bandit
Last edited by Tony Glassman on 11 Mar 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

I thought a "Hat Trick" was a thing-a-bob you attached to a hihat that gives a tambourine sound :?: I sold several when I owned an instrument shop. Drummers were in desperate need of them around Indiana!
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Ward Skinner

Post by Ward Skinner »

Well Tony, that post sure was a waste of your time. :)

I never read Bill's threads because they made no sense to me, I considered it a waste of time. Others didn't. OK with me. But lately it's turned entertaining. Maybe the reason for so many views. Hey, at least something is happening.
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

sometimes I watch Jerry Springer for the same reasons
GFI D10, Fender Steel King, Hilton Vpedal,BoBro, National D dobro, Marrs RGS
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Steve, don't put Jerry down like that. He does'nt live in an irrational and meaningless universe and his search for order brings him into conflict with his own self,Mr. Bill mentioned the morons flying overhead,Could that be the mothership searching for him to take him home ? Maybe they need some rocks moved on Venus.He said he was an experienced rock mover. Plus he would,nt have to wear a cowboy hat. The coneheads wear dunce caps,more his style. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Bill Hankey = Time Bandit
While I consider this thread, that I have only observed occasionally from a purely sociological point of view, to be pointless, let me point out that continual protest that Bill is somehow 'doing' something to anybody else to be simply untrue. Any wounds here are purely self inflicted - we all know the drill, correct? This could end in an instant by simply not responding to the thread. It took me a few minutes to compose this post. I can live with taking a few minutes of my time to say something - it's my choice, pure and simple.

On topic - Bill, I don't think cowboy hats or any other type of headgear, or boots or any other type of footgear, are specifically related to anything musical. Lots of roots musicians of all types - blues, jazz, rock and roll, folk, country, bluegrass, or whatever - wear hats, including anything from a cowboy hat to a fedora to a pork pie hat to a beret or who knows what. Some don't. Similarly, many wear boots of many kinds. Some don't. Many musicians treat the musical stage as a type of theater - why not? A musical production is a show, and every aspect of the show contributes to it. None of any of this has to do with swelled heads. If you (editorial you) want to get dressed to the 9's to do a gig, great. If wearing ripped up jeans and t-shirts with paint stains on them does it for you, go for it. It doesn't change the music one iota, but it may change the way various people react to it - you pays your money, and you takes your choice.

My opinions, naturally. I will do my very best to ignore any reaction, since I have already said pretty much everything I can think of relevant to this thread.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

D. Mudgett

No Dave, I don't agree! You haven't scratched the surface pertaining to relevancies associated with this thread. You the English professor, would be thought of, more than I, as a person with executive abilities; including those that could easily dispose of reasonable views made public by others. Sorting out your words, one by one, I tripped over what I'm thinking is a possible fallacy; one commonly found in fictional statements made, whether intentional or through some inadvertent misconception. Where did you find the courage and gall to commit to saying that boots and music are unrelated? I couldn't buy into that abstraction. What ever happened to the popular trite expression: "Clothes make the person"? It must have gone out with Louis Antoine Godey's fashions and the Gibson girl's beautiful array of fashionable gowns. You are an English expert. Your expertise has nothing in common with the reality of exhilerating western wear, and its association with the combined interests of each colorful presentation. :o
Steve Raulston

Post by Steve Raulston »

Having denounced David of any expertise relating to the associations of music and attire, what may I ask is your field of expertise Mr. Hankey? Curiosity killed the cat............ in an animal farm. :D
Ron Kirby

Post by Ron Kirby »

Bill, I wear boots and a hat. If no one likes it, Great!! They can wear their pumps and ear rings in both ears if they like. What ever floats there tone boat.. Hew haw..... enough, back to the studio.....
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

My take on a THE HAT, It's like Playing a steel guitar. When or not to wear a hat,like when and not to play,some over wear their hats. You shoud never have to tell someone to take their hat off when the band is playing God Bless America,or a National Anthem,They should know better. Wearing a hat in church,At a dinner table,or when wearing a hat or cap showing a lack of respect.Play ball :)! Joe
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

"You shoud never have to tell someone to take their hat off when the band is playing God Bless America,or a National Anthem,They should know better. Wearing a hat in church,At a dinner table,or when wearing a hat or cap showing a lack of respect"

I guess at this point it doesn't matter much if we stray off topic, since I'm not sure there really is a topic anymore.

So I know it is considered polite to don one's chapeau at the table and at church, but it seems rather arbitrary to me. In some cultures you don't wear your shoes in church or in a house, in some you don't wear your hat. In some (the jewish religion) it is impolite to not wear your hat in church.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Image If only Tarzan could see me now? ?