ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

#1072 was invoiced on May 17th, 1967 to Herbert A. Wahl. Good looking ZB you have there and bet it sounds like a million bucks!!!!

Greg
Mike DiAlesandro

Post by Mike DiAlesandro »

B. Greg Jones wrote:#1072 was invoiced on May 17th, 1967 to Herbert A. Wahl. Good looking ZB you have there and bet it sounds like a million bucks!!!!

Greg
Thanks Greg! I appreciate the info.

Mike
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

I finally got around to tuning up my ZB 0035 . She needed a bit of tlc to get the E raise lever working properly , it hasn't come up to pich for a long time and now I know why . I haven't been under the hood since I rebuilt it about 8 years ago . That experience put me off tinkering . Anyway she is all lubed up and playing beautifully again . I can't believe how it holds it tune so well and the tone is the thing that keeps me coming back . Too heavy to drag around to gigs but just right to leave set up at home ready for when the mood takes hold .
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Just noticed that I've been on the forum 10 years. Where has
the time gone? I haven't got any better at playing steel but I have put on weight!

Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Duncan ... for you ...

Image[/quote]

Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Russ I still think that red two tone is the most gorgeous ZB. Who has the orange one?
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Not sure who has the orange one but that is the one Duncan wants!
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Russ, your guitar looks a lot like my 1970? Billy Knowles Custom ZB.
Last edited by Tommy White on 13 Mar 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Sure does. Unfortunately when we both start playing you can tell them apart like night and day. :)
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

You may be right Russ. Your guitar probably has newer strings and is in tune😏😊
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Now that is funny but thanks for the kind thoughts Tommy. But you are right about them looking a lot alike. BTW I had my seat before I got a steel that matched too. :)

Waiting on this one from Chuck McGill.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=280586
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Russ, ah yes, the red seat! Fate and irony.
Glad you're getting that ZB Chuck had for sale. It looks like a beaut!
I kind of watch the ad section just to see what ZB guitars show up, looking for the first ZB Bill Simms built for me in the mid 70s. Billy Knowles did such a beautiful job refurbishing mine, really no need for me to look anymore. Well, never hurts to look!
There have been a few really nice ones lately and at reasonable prices.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Russ, that is the one. Billy, more or less, offered it to me many moons ago, then it appeared on ebay and I passed. It must be a great orange ZB because it has never resurfaced for sale. Chuck, I am sending you a PM.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Really nice Duncan. I got the 1967 Zane built one today. I'm enjoying it. It will need a few tweaks for me but it is in very nice shape for 48 years old.

Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Very much the same and yet ... very different.

A note of thanks to Chuck McGill. I bought the red one from Chuck 5 years ago and now the 67 Scranton. Both transactions were seamless and Chuck packs and ships really well. Next time he has one for sale buy it ... I'm done. :)

Josh Rossow

Post by Josh Rossow »

Russ, those are some fine looking machines. I like the look of the white pickups and fretboards on that 67.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

So, does anyone of my ZB pals know where and when my serial # 0262 was originally built?
I guessed 1970 or so but I'd like to know for sure.
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

That's a heck of a guess Tommy!!!! I would say 1970 or 71'. Looks like it was built in Phoenix. Wish I could tell you more but my invoices only go up to Dec. of 1968.

Greg
Bob Hamilton

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Hi Tommy, my database says 252 (1970) is owned by our own Larry Chung, and 279 (1971) is owned by Dave Rothon, so you're in there somewhere pretty close for sure. B
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Thank you Greg! Hope you're doing good my friend. I'll always remember your great playing, tone, our visits and the kindness you've shown me.
Bob, thank you so much. I'm gonna go with late 1970 from Phoenix, per your's and Greg's post. Billy Knowles really out did himself with the refurb.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Can't beat the natural light for this 67 ZB Custom. Chuck McGill delivers again. :)

Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

I couldn't say this anywhere else, but these ZB's are the most beautiful guitars ever produced.
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Russ those pics are great. I didn't want to let her go but I am happy you got this one my friend.
Twang on!
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Thanks Chuck. I think my red one is going to a friend locally. So I'll be able to visit it once in a while.
Ben Elder

ZBlue Ridge Rangers

Post by Ben Elder »

I hadn't had my Blue Ridge Rangers CD (the original from 1973, where John Fogerty played all the instruments) out for a while, but in listening, something struck me about the pedal steel parts--not complex particularly, but having "that sound". I think I remember JF's name on ZB literature of the time and sure enough--this photo (reproduction) pops up on eBay:

It's billed as being from the Blue Ridge Rangers sessions (seller has other JF/BRR photos) and to all appearances, John's ZB is a then-new doubleneck (not discernible at this resolution, but a ZB volume pedal too)--not an SD-10 precisely, but with all the C6 rods removed.
"Gopher, Everett?"