Our steel guitar brother, Steinar Gregertsen--RIP

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

John Subik

Post by John Subik »

Mike, what a great photo, thanks for posting.

I got an email from his nephew telling me the funeral service was nice and well attended (200+ people). Afterwards that evening they gathered for rememberances and toasted Steinar to the wee hours.
A proper sendoff, I believe.
Rickey Mitchell

Post by Rickey Mitchell »

Be at peace Steinar, I'm truly sorry we never met face to face. Thank you for always responding to my personal messages and my replies. I was honored the one rare time I could help you with advice. Thank you for reminding me how an artist should approach their music and their life. "Play to express not empress!"
Thank you God, for sharing him with us.
If you worry more about the tools your building with than what your building, you'll never get anything Built
Rickey (Noel) Mitchell
paddleandflies.com
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Rance at Lazy River guitars posted this on Facebook today:

I came to know Steinar about 7 years ago. He bought my second weissenborn. Shortly after being laid off from my design job, I stuck my second weissenborn on Ebay. Steinar saw it. We emailed quite a bit about and I told him that I had built guitars for several years but this was my only my second weiss. I remember him saying something to the tune of "what the heck, I'll give it try". Not only did the money really help out, but this was my first international sale and I couldn't believe that something I made was going to such a talented person halfway across the world.

He got it and was happy and posted some nice things on a couple of forums. After that I probably got 10 orders within a few months, just from people that new Steinar and respected him. I was amazed. Then those people knew people, word of mouth started spreading a little and my business just sort of happened. Now after 175 weissenborns, I honestly think if it weren't for Steinar, I'd probably be stuck in an office somewhere and building instruments as a hobby.

One of the proudest moments of my luthier career came a couple of months after he got the weiss. He sent me a few different, unedited versions of "Northern Lights". One solo version, just him and the weiss, which gave me chills from the first note, and the album version. I sat at the computer with the headphones cranked. For a builder, this is the type of "feedback" that keeps us going. Actually hearing our instruments communicate a musicians feelings and creativity is wonderful.

We emailed a lot over the years and talked on the phone a couple of times. He got a couple more instruments. When we talked on the phone I really enjoyed his witty sense of humor and his kind words. Always made me laugh. About 2 years ago I emailed and told him I was in a rut and that I wanted to build something different. Weissenborns are fun to build and I enjoy everyone that I do, but one right after the other does get a little monotonous. So I asked him if he had any crazy ideas for a new instrument. He brought up the idea of a Parlor sized square neck acoustic. I thought it was a great idea and really had plans to get it started and get it to him to try out. I never got around to building that one. We talked about it a couple of more times and I kept it in the back of mind, but never had the time...Today I started picking out wood for a Parlor sized squareneck. I'll be thinking of Steinar as I build it.
Mark Bracewell

Post by Mark Bracewell »

Steinar seems to have touched a whole lot of people in different ways. He liked something goofy that I did, and I loved something beautiful that he did. I wanted to send him something... I guess this is it. RIP man.
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Post by Hans Henrik Rasmussen »

This is sad news indeed. I emailed quite a bit with Steinar, especially when I just got started on lap slide - asking him questions and questions and then more questions. And he was always very, very nice and helpful. A really kind and generous guy who was always a pleasure to write with.

Hans
T. W. Hatem

A friend to all....

Post by T. W. Hatem »

Here's to you Steinar, I'll remember you as a big, big man.
Thank you for your gentle, unselfish encouragement and wisdom over the years and for the music you have left us.
I'll do my best to play to express for as long as the Lord allows....

Until then, RIP.
:(
basilh

Post by basilh »

Akua Ho`opomaikai Steinar
Tom Breitenfeldt

Post by Tom Breitenfeldt »

Can't believe it...
Tom
Vince Luke

Post by Vince Luke »

My condolences to Steinar's family and friends. I knew him only via this forum, but I appreciated his posts both for his knowledge and his generous attitude. Very influential as I was trying to figure out how to get into this lap-style stuff. I still have a note to myself tucked into my box of accessories that lists "Steinar's gauges" as a reminder of what strings to buy!

Strength and peace,
Vince
Wally Moyers

Post by Wally Moyers »

Very sad to hear this, Steinar was one of a kind for sure! Never met, emailed or PMed him but through his music felt like I knew him... RIP
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

been out of the loop. didnt even know this. how tragic.

he finished his race. hope he is at peace.
bruce fischer

Post by bruce fischer »

R.I.P brother. bruce & lynn
sho-bud super pro II, blue darlin' VI
Don Joslin

Post by Don Joslin »

I met Steinar here on the Forum. I was dealing with my own health issues around 2009 or 2010 when we sort of just lost touch. I was looking for his email address today when I found this thread. Prior to 2010 we maintained frequent emails, jokes, and just plain good conversation. He helped me so much when I first became interested in lap style playing. We mused frequently that it would be great to get together if I ever visited family in Sweden because Norway was right next door. Well, Steinar my friend, I guess we'll just have to wait a little longer for that jam session. Now both of your CD's are even more treasured. Thanks for everything my friend and I am happy you found peace and are no longer in pain.
"I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power!
I hope we don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that." ~ Thomas Edison

Please visit my website at www.donjoslin.com