Formica covered steels look cheap and ugly

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Hello Stuart. Thank you! Finally, there is someone here on the Forum who can understand and explain my posts, especially to me. Now I will be able to understand the meaning of what I meant when I air my inane ramblings in this venue.
If a Carter is a pig... and a pig looks like Ned's Carter... I'd love to slop a whole barnyard full of them pigs. (And I come from a long line of Maryland pig farmers)
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Duncan, My sincerest apology. I made a thoughtless joke at your expense. I will edit my post.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

This is from the "For Sale" section

Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Stu! Fabulous house! Here are some pics:

http://tinyurl.com/7jm49j
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

John,Cool!...I bet it's not fifteen below there.Stu :cry:
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Stu, it's a warm 34 here in Cleveland. But in Temple, Texas? 75 degrees!
I WANT THAT HOUSE!
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

All poly or urethane etc finishes eventually getr milky from moisture in the wood. If you want wood it has to be nitro lacquer, which is much easier to repair than plastic sprays.

Nothing is cooler looking than a black Emmons p/p. Nothing is more boring than watching soccer...
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Stuart, I never took offense at anything. In fact, I though that you put a lot of thought into your post and I was serious about enjoying having someone who can finally tell me what the heck I was trying to say when I wrote.
P.S.: I loved the picture.
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

ulric...where do you get letters like that? my computer keyboard doesn't have that kind of A with the dealy on top.
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

K-Mart...
b0b

Post by b0b »

in Sweden...
John Fabian

Post by John Fabian »

OINK!!
:lol:

Chris Reesor

Post by Chris Reesor »

Pardon my drooling... obviously A. macrophyllum... gorgeous, John! Is that BC wood? This might also be a good place to thank you and Bud and the gang for building my lovely(black mica) guitar. :D
All the best in the new year,
CR, wood lover.
Excel Superb U12, MIJ Squier tele, modified Deluxe Reverb RI, Cube 80XL, self built acoustics & mandolins
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

John!!
You're gonna cover that gorgeous wood with metal and naugahyde?!
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Certainly calls out for wood necks!
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

chris ivey wrote:ulric...where do you get letters like that? my computer keyboard doesn't have that kind of A with the dealy on top.
Chris, go into your settings/control panel/languages. There you can set the keyboard to get any letter/symbol.
This particular letter(Å)can be found on the {-[ key after you have set the keyboard to Swedish or Norwegian

The other "odd" letters are Æ-æ and Ø-ø.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Could you program some of the "F" keys for those letters. I don't know what those keys do, and I'm afraid to press them cuz somethin' bad might happen!
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Maybe I should send this one back to Minnesota and have some mica glued on to hide some of those hideous natural birdseye spots. :)
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
John Fabian

Post by John Fabian »

Herb,

I was going to use pink and green "mother of toilet seat" to cover it. :D

Chris,

Thank you for your business. It might be BC wood. Definitely from the northwest.

This guitar body is one of 3 built out of Sausage Quilt maple.

The D-10 clear lacquer sibling of the S-10DB pictured here should be arriving this week.

They will hopefully be available at the Texas Show.

Metal Necks are planned for these guitars.

Body #3 will be used for #2000. Both it and matching wood necks are being extensively inlayed by a master inlay artist. This will be his first steel guitar. They will then be sent for finishing and should be back sometime in the April-May time frame. If all goes well, we will be showing #2000 and celebrating at the St. Louis show in September.
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

As owner of the Carter D10 clear lacquer "pig", I just have to say the SD10 cabinet pictures John Fabian posted look just gorgeous. There is going to be one lucky Carter owner somewhere soon. Gotta see some piccies of the finished steel, especially the inlays. Carter no 2000 has to be worth a thread all of its own, surely?

My Carter is causing a huge amount of "Drooling Down Under". I have to carry a mop and bucket so folks can clean up after themselves! :-)

Sausage Quilted Maple is one magnificent piece of wood, plus the guitar has huge tone. I just came from a "show and tell" with two other local steelers and they all agree I have myself a monster of a steel guitar. (One plays a clear lacquer Sho-Bud, the other a black formica Excel...no shortage of good taste there, then!)

My sincere thanks to John and Ann and all the good folks at Carter for such beautiful guitars.

But, I re-iterate, the Cass Emmons restorations are fabulous as well, and the Walnut Promat is something else again!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Dallas Cheked

Re: Formica covered steels look cheap and ugly

Post by Dallas Cheked »

richard burton wrote:I hate the look of steels clad in formica, it's just an easy short-cut for manufacturers.

Let's get back to more laquer finishes.
Those black formica Emmons push-pulls of the mid to late 1960's are still the "Stradivarius of Steel Guitars". Maybe we should listen to an instrument with our ears instead of our eyes.
EMCI D-10 Steel 8+6, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Twin Reverb, Stelling Staghorn Banjo,Vintage Premier Banjo, Dobro D-60 and F60S Squarenecks, Fender Stratocaster, Boss RV-5, DD2,GE7, Goodrich SteelDriver II.