For Jack Smith

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry King

Post by Larry King »

Jack....yes, Barry did build a steel and a very fine one...Jeff Newman was a supporter and player of Thomas Steel Guitars. Barry was a better machinist than diplomat and he should have left the marketing to someone else. Having said that, one of the most "high profile" players/builders was in touch with Barry to produce his instruments...I suspect it would be best not to name names, however there are guys on this forum with an intimate knowledge of this. I only mention this to say , yes , his guitars were excellent in quality and workmanship. Divorce does crazy things to people and it took Barry out of the business for now...as I say this , he is tooling up once again, here in God's country. That's Oklahoma, for those of you in Rio Linda. It's impossible to give anyone a time line , but one day you can look for him to re-enter the market. He is also capable of reproducing any obsolete parts as well. God bless and send me a product list to Larry King P O Box 283, Watts, Ok 74964. Thank you.
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Jack, I too would like to add to the comments about you as a terrific player. I never will forget being at the North Carolina State Bluegrass Convention in Cherokee, NC about 4 years ago, when Connie Smith Closed the show. Your sound was great, especially for an out door event. It was very cold that night, maybe 40 degrees or so? I had on a jacket and was still shivering. Connie introduced you and proceeded to inform everyone her next number was going to be "I'll Come Running" and that intro was how she chose Steel Players, If they could intro that one he was good enough for her. I actually thought I was going to see a train wreck, since it was so cold, no one would be able to move their fingers that fast.......well, you took the tune off and played it just like the record....I couldn't believe it! I don't see how you did it? But like Connie, any Steel Player that can intro that one and in about 40 degree weather is just plain good! My hat off to you Jack!
Thanks for a good show.....you guys sounded like you were in a recording studio the whole show.
Bob Wood

Jack & Gary

Post by Bob Wood »

Jack & Gary, we're gonna miss you guys! Can't believe you're both gone!
Gil James

Post by Gil James »

Fascinating bit of history there Bob. Thanks for bringing this back up. Jack's version of The Lighthouse is still one of my favorite instrumentals of all time. Hard pressed to find any Gospel groups like the Goodmans and Hinsons,that used such great musicians,these days.
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

I am also a big fan of the late Jack Smith-he's one of my all-time favorite players. Back in October of 1999, I was fortunate enough to be on a tour lasting 9 days to Japan. I was with a group called Wylie and the Wild West, with Connie Smith among others on the tour. As it turned out, Jack was on the tour as well. Met him and we instantly hit it off. On one of the days there, I asked if he would mind meeting me in the hotel cafe for coffee/lunch, mentioning that I would like to have him give me a brief bio on his career. For two hours or so, he gave me countless stories, his Opry years, and playing with some of the greats. I did happen to have my notebook and jotted some of it down. Following text in bold are those notes. I'm sure that you all on this tread would be interested. Really was not my intent to show these notes to anyone, other than for myself. But they are interesting, especially to us Jack Smith fans. I did type this up and emailed it to Jack after we got back home. I asked for any additions and corrections as well. He told me that he read it and it looked good, but he will get the chance later to reread it better and get back to me. He never did-so as it turns out, I'm sure the info is correct, and my notes are for sure almost without error. There is always the chance of error, which is why I mention it. Anyway, here is the notes of Jack Smith's bio given to me in October 1999:

Jack Smith grew up in the San Joaquin Valley in California and started playing steel in 1959 when he was 6 years old. His father was a minister and wanted Jack to play a musical instrument. Jack’s father remembered the sweet sounding steel guitar sound that he heard on an Ernest Tubb recording and wanted his son to take up the steel. After introducing him to the steel, Jack fell in love with the sound and his first steel was a 3 leg Fender non pedal. He took lessons from a lady who had studied under Sal Hoppi. Jack practiced faithfully everyday. His father played guitar and would play along with him. In 1964, Jack’s cousin had a Fender 400 and Jack would play it every chance he could get. Soon after, his dad bought him a double neck, 10 string ZB with 8 pedals and 2 knee levers. Also, with the ZB, was a copy of Jimmy Day’s Steel and Strings album. Jack would slow the record down to 16 rpm’s and taught himself most all the songs off the album.
Around this time, he began to play on recording projects in Fresno and LA. He worked with Roy Nichols, Johnny Russell, as well as various country and gospel groups in the San Joaquin Valley. He found out the Happy Goodman Family was going to add a steel player to the band. Jack got in touch with them and was hired in 1969. Rusty Goodman was a good friend of Shot Jackson and asked Shot to build him a Sho-Bud for their steel player. Jack got a double 10, 8 pedals and 4 knee levers. Shot called the guitar “ole purple” because it was a stained purple. Jack played that purple Sho-Bud during all the years that he was with the Happy Goodmans.
For a long time, Jack had a dream of working with Bill Anderson and the Po Boys as well as with Ernest Tubb and the Texas Troubadours. So, in 1974, Jack quit the Happy Goodmans and moved to Nashville. He played some dates with Jim Ed Brown but heard that Bill Anderson was looking for a new steel player because Sonny Garrish was quitting the road. Jack auditioned for the job, and was hired that same year, 1974. Jack started playing with Bill Anderson using his Sho-Bud, but Bill wanted the same tone and sound that Sonny was getting. Sonny while with Bill was playing an Emmons push pull, so to create that same sound, Jack switched to an Emmons. While with Bill the band got the CMA nomination for best band 3 times. Jack recalls that with Bill Anderson and the Po Boys, the pay was around $400 a week plus bonuses.
Around 1977, Bill decided to change his band members. He let everyone in the band go, except Jack. Bill hired new band members including female backup singers, and Jack became the band leader. The band was renamed the “Po Folks”. The “Po Boys Era” had ended. During this time, Jack was also doing a lot of recording session work in Nashville for southern gospel artists.
In 1979, Jack quit Bill Anderson, and shortly after went to work with Ronnie Milsap. Ronnie’s band was the first full production band that Jack had played with. This included a large sound and light system. As well as sound, light, and guitar techs.
Jack recalls that with the Happy Goodmans and Bill Anderson, the sound system consisted of a PA with the large column type speakers usually set up by the band members. Jack was with Ronnie less then a year and then quit. At the time, country music was going through a change. Steel and fiddle were getting replaced with keyboards and as a result, many steel players were out of work. After leaving Ronnie, Jack went to work as a dispatcher for a trucking company. Around 1983, he played with Johnny Paycheck for a year and a half.
In 1986, Jack started his own business called “Praise Hymn Productions” and involved producing gospel music soundtracks. He also played on the road with Gene Watson for a year and a half.
In 1987, Jack started subbing for Mike Jones, who was at the time Connie Smith’s steel player. Shortly after, Jack went to work full time with Connie. Jack says that playing with Connie Smith is a dream job. He says, “…real nice gigs and the Opry almost every weekend.” Around 1992, he quit Connie to work at his soundtrack company full time. In 1997, he went back with Connie. As of the fall of 1999, Jack continues to run his business and play for Connie Smith. Jack and his wife live in Nashville.

Amps that Jack has used through the years:
Fender Princeton Reverb
Sho-Bud Christmas tree amp
Session 400
Evans Amps

Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

I might also add that Jack told me he was mainly an E9th player, not really playing too much on the C6.
Our event for the Japan trip consisted of one major show in Kumamoto Japan for the Country Gold Festival. During Connie Smith's sound check, they were getting the levels on Jack, asking him to play more, he started on the C6 neck with pedals. I thought it was Emmons! Gracefully moving around the neck effortlessly, single string runs and chord riffs all over the place. I went up to him and said, 'you've got to be kidding, you're more than just an E9th player'. He laughed it off and said, 'na... I just noodle around, the E9 is my neck'.
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

I was also a big fan of Jack. I'm a little surprised he didn't mention his cousin Jerry Hall, who was also a fantastic steel player. Jerry and I were friends in the mid '70's while he was getting the majority of the studio work in Oklahoma City. He, Gary Carpenter and I all shared an apartment for a short while in 1975. Jerry also played with Jerry Short and the Countrymen. Unfortunately, Jerry Hall and Jerry Short are no longer with us.
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Dean Holman

Post by Dean Holman »

I’m so glad to see this history. I too am a huge Jack Smith fan. I met Jack in ‘87 when he was with Gene Watson. They came to a music theater in my hometown, and I was in the band that opened for them. I hadn’t been playing steel very long, but was very impressed with Jack’s playing. I opened for them again that same year when my friend singer/songwriter Billy Yates, booked Gene to do a show in Billy’s hometown. I was playing for Billy some back in them days. It was Jack that got me hooked on Evans amps, and I’ve been using those amps since then. I kept up with Jack when he went to work for Connie. I got to attend a few of Connie’s shows. At one point, he and Connie came to a show that I was playing at in Branson back in ‘92, while they were playing at another theatre in town. It was then that Jack had talked to me about going to work for Connie. I was only 21 at that time, and as much as I appreciated the offer, I had to decline. I was already leading a path to potential dream gigs, in which they both came true. One was a very small stint, playing for the Desert Rose Band, the other was playing for Ricky Skaggs. I had the connections to make that happen. I did get to work some with his brother Gary. Jack and Gary both, were super nice to me. Jack and Gary both, were very blessed men. Their talent was extraordinary, and I had the pleasure a couple of times, seeing them both play in the same band, plus, I was present when they recorded a live album with Connie Smith, in Branson, at the Lowe’s Theatre back in’92. I lost track with Jack over the years, and was extremely heartbroken, when he, and Gary, passed away. I cherish those memories, and I miss them very much. I know they are playing for the Lord now.