The Lesser-Known Greats

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Robert

Post by Robert »

Hey!
I picked a hot one, huh? Sure, the criteria is a little loose, but everybody gets a shot in that way. Howzabout Buck Owens' sideman Jay McDonald? He's lesser-known, and if you played any instrument with Buck in his prime, you were probably a great player!

Rob Yale
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I nominate Danny Sneed.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

VERNON PRIDDY

Post by VERNON PRIDDY »

How About Jack Hern. Walter Haynes. Bobbe Seymour.

------------------
SONNYPRIDDY

Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Greats? Lesser-known greats? Shucks, I'd be happy to just go and see someone who's "adequate to good" these days!!!

Here's a bit of related trivia...

AltaVista returned 46,839 hits for "bagpipes", but only 8,478 for "pedal steel guitar".

(try it yourself Image )
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

I got to hear the Internationally World Famous Smiley Roberts Friday Night at the Dugout in Nashville along with Nashville's best kept secret, Bucky Reid. Both were fantastic and ear pleasing. I had hoped to get to hear Jerry Brightman on Saturday but we couldn't get Robert and the "NO TONE" to shut down or turn down before I left so I missed Jerry but I'm still throwing him in with Smiley and Bucky! Image
chas

Post by chas »

Dont forget Steve Palousek
Tim Rowley

Post by Tim Rowley »

Johnny Cox...
Fred Layman

Post by Fred Layman »

Ray M., the steel player in the early days with Don Gibson was Eagle Eye Hendricks. They both came over together from North Carolina to the Knoxville area where Don's career took off. Eagle Eye lived in Stawberry Plains, TN, just east of Knoxville until his death about 3 years ago. He had lost one leg to diabetes several years ago but continued to play some great steel on several of Stoney's Knoxville shows until 6 or 8 years ago. His name has come up on the Forum before, so you might want to do a "search" to learn more about him.
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Billy Tonnesson on those wonderful Capitol sides by Ole Rasmussen & the Nebraska Cornhuskers 1950-1952!

Carl West, there's Jerry Inman's 1967 Columbia LP of Beatles tunes, but also if you listen to the Byrds' song 'Goin' Back' from the "Notorious Byrd Brothers" 1968 Columbia LP, then you can hear Carl doing some real tasteful work, although they fade him right at the end when things are getting hot! (&*$#)

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

There was a steel player out of Champaign/Urbana Illinois in the 60's and early 70's named Whit Taylor that was a great player, way ahead of his time. He had worked with Hank Thompson. I never saw him live but I've heard a few tapes and a lot of stories.
I recall hearing a tape of him doing a great Cth version of By the time I get to Phoenix.
Joan Cox

Post by Joan Cox »

I'll have to put in my vote for Johnny Cox. Guess I'm prejudiced...and also my "teacher" Bob Delaloye.

Joan Cox<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joan Cox on 16 October 2001 at 05:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

SURPRISE! SURPRISE!!
Remember some years back in that spectacular "space movie"....when all of a sudden without warning....the fabulous sounds of Jerry Byrd playing Hank Williams'
"I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry"? What a surprise to hear Jerry Byrd "in a MOVIE"!!!
Last night, barely ten minutes into a Lifetime Channel movie from 1996.. "Bastards out of Carolina"...., a southern town's local restaurant and what comes out of the juke box???
JERRY BYRD playing Hank Williams' "I Just Don't Like This Kind of Livin'". What a surprise to hear JERRY BYRD, once again, in a motion picture feature.
What tone Jerry and that ole Rick had back in those days!
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

I'm gettin' dumber by the nanno minute!!!

Sorry about this post. It was supposed to be under a new topic; not in this fine thread.
Adrian Wulff

Post by Adrian Wulff »

How about Bob Dunn from Milton Brown and his Musical Brownies? That man had great tone and a unique style. Tom Brumely isn't exactly unknown but he hasn't been mentioned as one of the legends either.
Fred Jack

Post by Fred Jack »

Bob, I had the pleasure of working with Whit for several years...Colo, Sioux Falls and Iowa..he was a great player. Regards,fred
Bill Sharpe

Post by Bill Sharpe »

I'd have to agree with all the above, and two players come to mind who are superb; Smiley Roberts and Clyde Bloodworth. Smiley for keeping my interest in steel alive, and Clyde for getting me started.

------------------
B#

Bill C. Buntin

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

Ya'll forgot 4 GREATS! Reece Anderson, Bobbe Seymour, Jeff Newman and Tom Brumley.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill C. Buntin on 16 October 2001 at 04:44 PM.]</p></FONT>
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I would have to add Danny Weaver and Monte Laffoon. Both are great players and not as well known.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

R Robichaud

Post by R Robichaud »

C'mon guys, get out of your box, and take a look around. A couple in my opinion which would rate amongst the top 10, even though they are not from your area, are Al Brisco and Bob Lussier. I'd like to add to this, but I will shut up.
Leroy Riggs

Post by Leroy Riggs »

Ron Elliott -- Great low string harmony!!
Don Walters

Post by Don Walters »

What R. Robichaud said!

------------------
Don Walters
Carter D-10, 8p/6k
Session 500 with Lemay Mod

Jimmy Douglas

Post by Jimmy Douglas »

I would nominate Jack Richards from Sydney, Australia. A builder of pedal guitars in the 40s and 50s and a very original pedal steel guitarist.
BJ Bailey

Post by BJ Bailey »

Has anyone mention ME yet, HA HA Image ImageJeff Newman,JD Mannas ,Loyld Mainse .Bobby Semour.
Ray Jenkin,Mike Weirauch,Peter Pan??????

I guess we're all great in somebody's imagination???????? Image Image

By the way I used Bobby Seamour's New spelling checker on all these famous names.

------------------
BJ Bailey

John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Maybe not lesser-known--but put me in for Mike Smith. Absolutely outstanding.

Also, Chuck Campbell is killing me

I think Randle Currie will be on the A list before too long...

And Mike Cass knocked me out last time I saw him at the ET Theatre woth Darrell.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Macy on 17 October 2001 at 09:20 AM.]</p></FONT>