What was your #1 memorable event for 2001 ?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

911 and heart surgery in Cleveland, Ohio; a very complicated surgery. As far as steel guitar related memories I would have to say that getting a visit from Jerry Brightman in my hospital room in Cleveland the first day I was in the room after surgery and him giving me the now somewhat famous 14 hole bellcrank that I am trying to find someone to gold plate for me! When that is done I will put in on my most often used LeGrande as a momento. By the way Jerry, I have not heard from you in a while.
Jerry
Richard Bass

Post by Richard Bass »

911 Was it for me. It still is in my mind all the time.
Richard
Fred Jack

Post by Fred Jack »

On a personal basis it was the heart attack I had the middle of December. a real scary thing they ask me at check in to the emergency room..." And who do we call in case of an emergency?" I said " Dial 911 immediately".... fred
VERNON PRIDDY

Post by VERNON PRIDDY »

Going To The Steel Jam At Bell Cove. And Hanging Around Bobbe Seymours Steel Guitar Nashville Where I Got To Meet Lloyd Green I had His Records Back In The 70's And That's What Got Me Playing Steel. Or Trying Too. SONNY.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Has to be Sept 11 NYC + DC
my family and i left on the 10 sept. for an oceanside vacation.
After drivin' all day, wakin'up and settlin' in, by lunchtime, thanx to the Bin Fartin', my vacation was ruined.
(Thank Goodness my kids had good time)
reminded me of the day JFK was assasinated.
If Hell is worse than here, well i sure don't want to go there.
Steel keepin' sane... Image
Bill C. Buntin

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

Quiting the Top 40 band I was working with.
BobG

Post by BobG »

Standing at the end of the pier I work at in New Jersey and watching the smoke billowing out of tower one. A coworker noticed a plane flying low over brooklyn heading north towards the city. The 10 seconds we eyeballed that plane before it hit the second tower can only be described as surreal. We all thought it was some hot shot trying to get a closer look.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Mike Perlowin....

I enjoyed your post very much.

I have a dear friend named Mike Bell. He's a wonderful pianist and, incidentally, an erstwhile member of 'Hogan's Heroes' who played with Buddy, Herby, Hal and many more at Gerry's Steel Guitar Festival in Berkshire, England. He had been 'partially sighted' all his life (something that we who are unafflicted can hardly imagine) and opted for a corrective procedure in his late-forties. His apprehension (there was significant risk involved) and his eventual joy and boundless delight was an inspiration to all of us who care for him; your addition to this thread reminded me of that time....

Please believe me - there's no pun intended when I say that it must put an awful lot of things in perspective.

Roger Rettig

------------------
LeGrande III

Slim Lattimer

Post by Slim Lattimer »

Apart from the obvious memory of Sept.11, my most memorable experience took place on Sept.23. On that Sunday my mother and I had the pleasure of meeting fellow Forumite Lonnie (Big Ben) Bennett, his wonderful family, as well as all of the warm and friendly "House of God" congregation in attendance that day.

As guests of Lonnie, we were treated better than anyplace I've ever been. The icing on the cake, of course, was listening to the "Sacred Steel" traditional music in its home setting of a wonderful church, filled with the most appreciative and participating people that one could imagine. Upon our arrival, we met the Minister, and then we were seated right down in front of the musicians, who were on the altar. Lonnie was not actually scheduled to play, because he had played at the Friday night service. However, a lovely lap steel player by the name of Maurice Bradley, graciously encouraged Lonnie to take her place, and play for his guests.

Before I knew it, Lonnie's son had retrieved his pedal steel and amp and set them up, ready to play. Lonnie has an ideal rhythm section, in my opinion second to none. His son Daric's bass playng as well as his son Levi's drumming is almost uncanny. I suppose one could say that an intuitive ability to keep the driving heartbeat and such soulful playing can be attained by family members playing together for so long and so often. Those of you who are familiar with the music of the Sacred Steelers, especially live, know what I'm talking about.

The emotional highs and lows of the music played by the Bennet Family were augmented by the spontaneous singing and dancing by the members of the Church. The sincerity of the Minister's sermon was evident and I was especially touched when he introduced me as a steel player and stated that he too was a steel player for some 40 years, but spends more time now with a different calling. However, he said, when the need arises he still goes down to the basement and picks on his steel guitar. Then he introduced my mother to the congregation and told them that we had just flown in from California inspite of the tragic events of the week prior. There was an audible collective gasp, and the Minister continued with an absolutely beautiful rap about freedom, brotherhood, love and Jesus, while Lonnie quitely began to play "God Bless America". It was a magical momment.
Shortly thereafter, another uplifting Gospel song was played with just amazing feeling. Then without prompting, at the end of the Service, EVERY member stood in a line to meet and great my mother and I. It was truly awesome and I will never forget the experience.
I know that I'll be back to Lonnie's
"House of God" Church, and hopefully catch up nearby with Campbell Brothers, also at a "House of God" Church. With any kind of luck, I'll be going to the Sacred Steel Convention in a couple of months. It's just what the doctor ordered!
Dyke Corson

Post by Dyke Corson »

My most memorable steel guitar event was getting to play three gigs with Redd Volkaert this summer. It was a blast!
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Moved to Extended Family...<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 08 January 2002 at 05:23 AM.]</p></FONT>
Earl Yarbro

Post by Earl Yarbro »

I think the most memorable event for me last year, as far as steelin goes, was attending the St. Louis convention. Being around that many steel players while listening to the best was a moving experience.

Earl Yarbro
ZB 11-4 "A good ole Steel"
P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

Richard Shelley

Post by Richard Shelley »

Yes, 9/11/2001 was indeed, as FDR said, "a day that will live in infamy!"
On the bright side, however, 2001 will always be remembered as the year I finally got "turned on" to psg. Oh, yes.....and also found this super web-site called The Steel Guitar Forum!!!!!