Fender Custom Triple Eight

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I love the tone of the Customs! One of the key reasons IMHO is Leo Fender's Direct-String-Pickups. Like a Rick Bakelite, the strings go through the magnetic field. Stringmasters are fantastic axes but the custom has a certain sound that really sets it apart. Plus they were built like a tank! That's why there are so many still in fine working condition after 50 years. The one tricky thing about these guitars is that the plastic shield surrrounding the pickup often deteriorates or warps over time shorting out the pickup or causing noise.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 15 August 2002 at 05:22 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 15 August 2002 at 05:22 AM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Lately on CMT, they have been playing an Allison Krause video titled: Sitting In The Window Of My Room (???) Several times they will pan to the steel player when he takes a ride. Can you even imagine that ?? He's playing an old red Fender D-8 and I get goose bumps every time I see it. Takes me back a long ways and they show the video quite often as I don't watch that much and have seen it 3 or 4 times in the last week.

Regards, Paul
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

I'm thinking about selling my '51 T8 Custom. I hate to, but need the cash for another (spare) PSG. It's really cool, and tone IS awsome.
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Chris
Kenny Dail is looking for a custom..I dont have his e address but you can find it Im sure. Here I found it

KDail86024@aol.com thats it,,,not his serial number but his e mail address. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 15 August 2002 at 10:57 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Back in '78, I had a Fender T-8 and to cure the warp in the pick-up, I cut a popcicle stick to the proper length, sanded it to the proper width, and carefully wedged it through the pick-up opening between the 4th & 5th strings. This got rid of any buzz and kept the opening at the proper width! Unless I am mistaken this was the way the guitar pick-up was constructed originally, however; I think the wedges got pulled out inadvertantly by there owners before they realised they were there, when the strings were changed. Perhaps the first string change by a new owner! Could be wrong, but; I believe this may be a fact. I wish I still owned that T-8! I bought it at a pawn shop all beat up for $159, stripped it, refinished it in Jet BLK. and no marks on the hardware. Added new set of legs, and made the mistake of selling it for $400 back in 1989. Good looking and great sounding instr. E9,C-Dia.,C6/A7 Used it for one session in Honolulu in 1980; still have a 45rpm copy to listen to! Keoni Nui (Big John)
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Andy Volk
The plastic or fiber shield that goes through
the pickup is what got me my Fender job.

I had a very early Custom thay had that same problem,,well anyway,,it was solved..I cant tell the story..it will be in my book, that piece of fiber changed my life forever.

Its an interesting story,,you I know will appreciate it. Those fibre or whatever they call them nowadys can be repaired or replaced. Today Jason Lollar is the Master of Pickup winding..............this is an old thread Fralin no longer does pickups

e mail me when you can. John.....you should have kept that Custom,,black?? must have been good looking.

...you should have kept your custom as well,,,whattsa matter for you guys anyway??

Jody.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 15 August 2002 at 07:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
Last edited by Jody Carver on 6 Mar 2014 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andy Zynda

Post by Andy Zynda »

Just for the record, I'll be six feet under before I let go of the one I snagged.
Hey Jody, be sure and email me as soon as the book is in any type of buyable/readable form.
The reason being that I would like to buy it and read it. Image
-andy-
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Andy
Let me know where you are buried,,Ill bring my shovel (God Forbid) I wish you good health
and many years with your new baby,,, Image keep it,,There will never be another like it.

It was known as the "diamond guitar" years back when Boggs played on KTLA TV,,,they were
making reference to the chrome diamond plates
on the front.

When Noel told me this,,I said it is a "diamond" its a "jewel"...good luck..the guy who designed that will never be forgotton
and with my long boring stories,,neither will
I.
Andy Alford

Post by Andy Alford »

On a custom if one of the tuners had to be be replaced does this hurt the value of the guitar??
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

*<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 20 January 2005 at 10:35 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Andy
I tried to buy that guitar from Gene when I first joined the Forum, Im glad he didnt sell
it to me,,,he would have missed it,,,besides that,what would he put under the bed?? Image

You guys ought to hear Gene's new CD...its really great. Gene "modesty" will get you nowhere,,,I know what I hear.
Fred Layman

Post by Fred Layman »

I traded the double-eight custom mentioned earlier in this thread to Bobby Black for his triple-eight, when Bobby was wanting to lighten his load. Looks and plays great.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

No disrespect to the Stringmaster, but given my druthers, I far prefer the Custom for it's warmth of sound. I have my original (1954) "blonde" Custom triple 8, (Ray, put me down as a blonde owner), which I used back in the Western Swing days of the fifties. From that point on, in Hawaiian music. It has a great sound for Island music! Now, if I could only keep those 3 legs from constantly slipping...
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

George
The clutches are more than likely slipping,& you can replace these,,that guitar is old,when you get as old as the guitar,you will slip too. I dont like the tripod design
Leo did,,it has more negatives than positive.

Does the guitar wobble? or unsteady? you play standing? or sitting?. You can very easily replace those slipping clutches,,its not rocket science.

I played at Madison Square garden years back with a Hawaiian group,The Icecapades. My custom was slipping all over the ice,,thats
when Floyd Tillman wrote "Slipping Around" so
I put chains on the legs.

I have a cure for your problem,,will e mail
you off line,,when your mail box in working.

No wonder your tape sounded so good,,,it was a custom you were playing Image legs or no legs
its a great guitar.
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>I dont like the tripod design
Leo did,,it has more negatives than positive. </SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Mr. Jody Carver,

No offense, but perhaps this is the reason Mr. Leo Fender was the innovator and you the critic. Image

I saw Johnny Sibert's triple Stringmaster up close. He had converted it from four legs to three and replaced the other three leg sockets with double-neck Stringmaster leg sockets, so that the legs would spread out more at the bottom,___looked good and had a very good wide base.

Remember with this configuration, there is one less leg to screw in when setting up.

I have a Fender Dual Professional (eight) and have replaced the three leg sockets with double-neck Stringmaster leg sockets. You'd be surprized at how much more stability I gained and the appearence is very much enhanced.

Rick
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Rick
YOU Are Right

Im able to be a critic,,as a rep for Fender all my life gave me that privledge, Leo always asked for ideas and didnt appreciate
"yes men" I was paid for input from musicians
in the field of battle,,,It was Boggs and myself that told Leo Mr Fender Four (legs) would be best I don't have one, I had and sold it after the Godfrey TV show...it was sold to a friend I don't like three legs that's why I have a console Stand that Mike Black made for me years ago Rick is Right

Sorry Rick you are correct :)
Last edited by Jody Carver on 18 Mar 2017 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

Thanks Jody, for the reply. You do have first-hand information for sure. The three leg design just happens to be my preference.

True the Custom was/is very heavy and I think the three legs should spread-out more. I wonder if anyone has tried changing the leg sockets on the Custom with the sockets of a double Stringmaster. This would give a larger base.

The one thing I always disliked about both the Custom and the Dual Pro. is that there is no cut-away along the necks for playing clearance.

Rick
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

Aside from his absolute artistry in making beautiful steel guitar music, Jody's knowledge of the instrument (especially the Fender Story and it's rich history)is second to none.

I've got an idea for the next generation in steel guitar, Jody...how about, The CarverMaster Custom... ! Image

In the meantime, I look forward to your book!

Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Jeff
Which would you prefer?? three legs or four legs?
Last edited by Jody Carver on 6 Mar 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

I'll need 8 legs total....

4 for the guitar, 4 for the book