Carl Smith?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Well,this is weird!! Today,(3/14) I go to the Skyline Med. Ctr. to visit a friend of mine, who had an operation. As I walk in the lobby,I run into ol' buddy,Charlie Dick, (Patsy Cline's widower.) He's standin' there, talkin' to this gorgeous,middle-aged lady. I 'jaw" w/ him for a minute,then he says, "Smiley,have you ever met Goldie Hill?" Well, ya coulda knocked me over w/ a feather! I said,"No,I haven't."(as I picked my jaw up off the floor.) I told her that she was the topic of discussion on this thread,& she couldn't believe it. I said,"Yup,your still hot!" Her reason for being there,....her brother,Tommy Hill,who wrote, "Slowly" for Webb Pierce,was being operated on. (I think). She is close to 70,& is,still,stunning!!

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-</pre></font>

Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Smiley: I used to post some of these odd coincidences when they happened to me until it became apparent that I might be looking kinda dumb. But, as you can see for yourself, they do happen. I have now begun to just watch and enjoy them happening to other folks. And BTW, I enjoyed hearing about the DERBYS at the Bush/Emmons Extravaganza. That was so neat !!

Regards,Paul Image Image Image Image
Neil Hilton

Post by Neil Hilton »

Carl Smith was one of my grandpa's favorites when I was growing up in west Nebraska, I've always thought "There She Goes" was as classic a cryin steel honky-tonk song as has ever been cut - I think that was cut in '53-54 range, would that have been Seibert delivering that classic steel??
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Neil: I'm thinking YES !! My favorite of Carl's was called Mister Moon. JS does a very beautiful slant passage in that one. Wish I could say what he did but I was only a Kid; that year.... Image Image Image

Regards, Paul
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

I was just out of basic-training at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri in 195l, and was playing in a band 5 nights a week at the Wagonwheel near Waynesville. We did about half Carl Smith and the other half Marty Robbins so I got lots of experience playing that style on my triple custom Fender. (Bud Carter told me that he also played the Wagonwheel in the 1950s)....it seems like yesterday! Image www.genejones.com
Keith Woods

Post by Keith Woods »

Do any of you remember the Phillip Morris tour that Carl headlined? I got to meet the little guy in the bellhop suit who was famous for his "CALL FOR PHILLIP MORRIS' routine on the old cigarett comercials. He would come out and do his thing before bringing Carl on.
Don Walters

Post by Don Walters »

The first two are early Carl, but IMHO the rest are country classics! If you don't love most of these, you don't like country music!

Hey, Sir Geo, lets get together and do all of them in Wpg.

Hey Again! I just read the liner notes for the above CD and <B>TODAY</> is Carl's birthday!! Born March 15, 1927 (it says).
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Don Walters on 15 March 2002 at 09:31 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

And there yet another one of those COINCIDENCES !! Image Image Image Image

Regards, Paul
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Strange I just saw this topic, and on my VCR, non other than Carl Smith from around 1995 on the Crook & Chase show, with Fred Newell playing a single neck Sho-Bud.

Great stuff.

Bill
George McLellan

Post by George McLellan »

Don, no question about it, Johnny Siebert, and Don Helms are still now, and always did have the biggest influance on me. They both have a magic touch.

I'm really looking forward to pickin a few
of them with you Joe & Dean in Winnipeg!!!!!!

Now if I could only get my semi/senile brain to soak up some of those lyrics Image Image Image

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by George Mc Lellan on 20 March 2002 at 03:20 AM.]</p></FONT>
nick allen

Post by nick allen »

Just came across this (on a website called "Take Country Back" that many of you would enjoy Image ) http://www.takecountryback.com/legends/csmith.htm

Nick
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

Johnny Sibert gets the best sound from a Fender Stringmaster steel guitar that I have ever heard. You do not know what a Stringmaster sounds like until you have heard him play live.

Rick