My Window Faces the South

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Chip Fossa wrote:In the George Morgan YouTube [Peter Huggins' reply], just what is that guitar ole' Glen is playing? :?
Looks like a Teisco to me. I have a blue one with the same neck and body.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Thanks Alvin,

Never heard of Teisco; I'll have to do a search and see if they're still around. :)
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5; Keyless; Natural Blonde Laquer.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Chip Fossa wrote:Thanks Alvin,

Never heard of Teisco; I'll have to do a search and see if they're still around. :)
Tokyo Electric Instrument and Sound Co(Teisco) only made guitars from '64 to '69 under the Teisco name, but they had been in business under other names since '46.
They were inexpensive Japanese made guitars, but they played nice and had a very cool sound. They were also sold under other names like Silvertone(the one I have is branded Silvertone), Kent, and others. They made steel guitars, although the only ones I've ever seen were in old catalogs.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

(Topic drift)I have a blue Teisco electric bass that was given to me. They were sold in this area by a department store chain called Roses.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Larry Miller

Post by Larry Miller »

it's a Teisco T-60. I wonder why Glen would have chosen that guitar over a Fender Jazzmaster or Jaguar... endorsement?
Larry Miller

Post by Larry Miller »

Peter Huggins

Post by Peter Huggins »

Glen was already somewhat famous in the L.A. studio scene for his Teisco and the sounds he generated with it. This was before his custom Mosrite, Fenders, or the Ovation endorsement. If you check out the recently reissued T.A.M.I. show DVD, Glen can be seen in the stage band next to Tommy Tedesco and Don Peake, notably when James Brown dances over to that side of the stage. Also it's Glen turning out a wailing solo on the Teisco during the shows credit roll.
A big THANKS to all my friends, here and everywhere !
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Wadda-ya-know? I used to have a Silvertone. The black & white jobber; that came with an amp/speaker built right into the case. Think mom & dad got it at Sears (Xmas present). Man, where'd the time go?

I remember you could alter the tone somewhat by how much you opened up the case; whether you left it on it's side; stood it up; or closed the case altogether.

...and yes, one of the easiest guitars I ever played.
Back then, it didn't sound all that bad. Of course, anybody's 1st electric guitar is probably gonna sound pretty good, anyway.
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5; Keyless; Natural Blonde Laquer.
Larry Miller

Post by Larry Miller »

Here's Willie singing it with the Texas Troubadors http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm7l36iU ... re=related
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Willie Nelson is a good man!
I have seen him play live and after a two hour concert, he was giving autographs from the stage, and didn't leave till the last fan got one.