Best well known guitar player

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Dave Mudgett wrote:
The key phrase in the OP is “well-known guitarist”.
I defy you to even define "well-known guitarist" objectively. Well-known to whom? Who the hell cares? This is all nonsense, IMHO

This is the kind of discussion I'd expect in Tiger Beat. "Who's the best guitarist ever - Slash or C.C. DeVille?" :P
Jeez, Dave. Of course it’s all BS. I was just shootin it because I’m snowed in and have better things to do. Frankly I’m glad this thread was here on a day that my brain needed a break from all the alleged “real life” nonsense going on out there.

What the hell is Tiger Beat? I probably don’t want to know, even on a snow day.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

A description of Tiger Beat - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Beat - I wouldn't send you there. It's even way worse now than in the teen pop/rock idol heydays. LOL

Sorry, these kinds of discussions get on my nerves when they start getting serious. If it stays on the light side where people say what they like, what influenced them - preference-based stuff - that's one thing. We all have things we like and things we're not so crazy about. I don't even think one has to have a rationale for preferences. But when it is suggested that there is actually some way to quantify and even rank-order things like music, musicianship - or anything artistic - I'm gonna disagree.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I can recall a discussion once when someone interjected that Jerry Garcia was one of the best pedal steel players in the world. No sense arguing that. :mrgreen:

~
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Donny Hinson wrote:I can recall a discussion once when someone interjected that Jerry Garcia was one of the best pedal steel players in the world. No sense arguing that. :mrgreen:

~
Donny, I recall one discussion that centered around outrage over comments that Jerry was the best pedal steel player ever. I agree that it's a fool's errand to try to talk someone out of that absurd position. And I'm very far from a Jerry hater. I think that Jerry - probably without ever intending it or even thinking himself that he was a serious pedal steel player at all - made major contributions to the instrument by interjecting it in important places in the musical landscape, and doing so pretty durned well.

In fact, that very discussion and others like it is one of the reasons I really hate to go down the road of "Who's the best blah blah blah?".
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Donny Hinson wrote:I can recall a discussion once when someone interjected that Jerry Garcia was one of the best pedal steel players in the world. No sense arguing that. :mrgreen:

~
And I always thought that it was Ronnie Wood :eek:
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.