Williams vs Excel for U12

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Anthony Campbell

Post by Anthony Campbell »

Bill Rudolph has always been super responsive and nothing less than helpful with my questions on my Williams.

If something would ever go awry I know it's a quick e-mail and a new part can be shipped/received within a short time frame. That's ultimately what pushed me to keep my purchase in the CONUS.
Williams Keyless D10
Goodrich Volume
Quilter 101R and Quilter IB45
Phil Ajjarapu

Post by Phil Ajjarapu »

I've got a Williams S-10 wide body 3x5 and an Excel Uni SD-14 with 8 and 5 plus lock lever that looks like a knee lever.

Both are fantastic, my favorite steels I've ever owned. I don't see getting rid of either one. I'm currently loaning out my Williams to a friend who is a great guitarist to learn on.

I haven't had anything but easy and fast communication with both makers.

You really can't go wrong, and if it isn't what you want, both have good resale value.

Good luck! Exciting times for you ahead!
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

Justin, you might try attending the Dallas show in March. I know Excel is always represented. I believe Williams is too. Make sure they will be there though. Don't take my word.
Bonus - you'll see the show and hang with like minded folks.
Justin Shaw

Post by Justin Shaw »

Thanks for all the responses!

Phil that's great to hear. I have found both builders to be very responsive in email, but I'm in the process of getting an Excel because I want both 14 strings, a second pickup (controversial I know) and a 25.5" scale. Excel offers all three options, and Williams does not, currently. I do want a Williams U12 at some point as well.

Jim I'd LOVE to come to Dallas, but it's a major trip. I'm sure I'd enjoy it even if they didn't make it.