New Book: Jazz Theory for the Pedal Steel Guitarist

CDs, LPs, tapes, videos, tab, instruction, software
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Wow! Thanks, Rick!

That is food for thought.

I think that, for years, my old (standard) P4 was maladjusted: I could never tune the raises to a spot-on B - always a touch flat. That put me off it a bit even though I watched the excellent Denny Mathis use it to exhilarating effect!

As for the E9 2nd half-stop, while I love it in theory, I have never found it positive enough. I usually wind it off for just the Seminole drop. On top of that, my RKR is lowering 9 to C# and 10 to A. I hesitate to add more pulls to a KL on my V/P foot.

Having said that, your C6 RKR sounds very interesting.

Would you raise just the 7th to a D on P4 (if it was your guitar)?
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Roger... I've tried other pulls to go along with the 7th string raise, but for me, just raising the one string is so much more useable for both chords and single lines than adding anything else to it.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Then I'll try it.

There was a time when I couldn't contemplate changing a pull on my steel but, necessity being the prime mover that it is, and given my location miles from anyone qualified, with a lot of help from Russ Wever and some notable Forumites who have given me tips, I'm no longer afraid to try.

I'm still pondering your C6 RKR. Might it be too much on one KL or might the C6 half-stop somehow improve the positivity if the E9 2nd pull? Worth a try. There's a redundant half-stop fitting under the guitar now.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

Re: a 7th string raise to D: following Rick's advice, I have it on P4. and now I'm trying a half stop, to get part of P8's function from strings 8 on up.
Richard Alderson

Post by Richard Alderson »

Thank you Dan ! The hard copies are now available. I wanted to acknowledge receipt, my book has arrived and thanks.
Derby SD-10 5x6; GFI S-10 5x5; GFI S-10 5x5; Zum D-10 8x7; Zum D-10 9x9; Fender 400; Fender Rumble 200; Nashville 400; Telonics TCA-500.
Daniel Jones

Post by Daniel Jones »

TTT in a new forum category.