hollow steel guitar body/sound-board

For people who build steel guitars

Moderator: J D Sauser

John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

Patrick Timmins wrote:John, What material did you use for the FDM 3D printed parts? and are the fingers made with the same material?
Hi Patrick. I’m using carbon fibre reinforced polycarbonate.( PCCF) And the fingers are the same.
That said I have has good results with basic PLA (polylactic acid) but as it doesn’t like higher temperature it’s a prototype material. I’m also also experimenting with polyamide (nylon) for some bearing parts.
Both PCCF AND PLA are brittle materials and suit vibration transmission.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Sonny Jenkins wrote:Image
Although I was not talking about hollow in the sense of "acoustic"... your built is BEAUTIFUL, Sonny.

Would you mind explaining how you are holding the string "put"... I see set screws, but they are off-center.

Thanks!... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Sure J D,,,the strings go through the holes, out the end, up and around the screw,,,tighten to hold don. I don't like grub screws. It's the bends in the strings that takes most of the tension,,,the screws hold the ends of the strings,,MORE than they hold tension. Every cowboy or sailor knows you can hold a lot more on the end of a rope IF you wrap that rope around something,,,LOL.
I might add,,,the bridge end is a solid piece of maple,,probably 2" long
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Sonny Jenkins wrote:Sure J D,,,the strings go through the holes, out the end, up and around the screw,,,tighten to hold don. I don't like grub screws. It's the bends in the strings that takes most of the tension,,,the screws hold the ends of the strings,,MORE than they hold tension. Every cowboy or sailor knows you can hold a lot more on the end of a rope IF you wrap that rope around something,,,LOL.
I might add,,,the bridge end is a solid piece of maple,,probably 2" long

Thanks Sonny.
I see, you go thru the hole, and up around the screw, put yer foot against the guit'tar and jest pull'er real tight and lock'er down.

Real saddle-man!

Your instrument is gorgeous! Thanks... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.