Buddy Emmons: Steel Guitar Icon - 30% Discount Code

New products of interest to steel guitarists
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Fish, do you reap more profit from a book sold through the University Press, or through Amazon? I'll purchase through the channel that benefits you the most.

I'd be willing to buy the book, send it to you for your John Hancock, and pay for return shipping. Media mail should make each trip for the book only $3.50 or so. Would that work well enough for you?

Congrats on such a huge and wonderful achievement! I've been toiling for years prepping my E9 course for possible book publication, there are so many hurdles to clear it can be overwhelming. I know you've likely been through rounds of drafts, proofing, revisions, finding photos, getting clearances, and on and on. Well done, my friend. --- Professor Twang
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Fish

Post by Fish »

Hi John,

As I'm certain you realize, entering into a journey like this isn't so much about reaping megabucks; the numbers are modest at best. My reward is simply getting Buddy's story onto as many bookshelves as possible. It was a promise I made to The Big E and I've enjoyed the challenge.

To answer your question: I do fine wherever you buy the book. Thank you!!

The only way I could finish all the work was to break it down into separate sections and focus on each one. I imagined that each chapter was like a separate magazine article for the New Yorker or Guitar Player; that really helped keep me from becoming overwhelmed, which still happened from time to time any way. Sometimes you just have to walk away for a while! Just take your time with your work and finish whenever you finish. You got this...Good luck!

PS: clearances are sometimes impossible. Don't get hung up on them. Publishers and their business affairs people don't care about doing favors for the little folks like us.

I'll send you an email about the John Hancock. Thanks again!

Steve
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Looking forward to an echat with you, Steve!
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Steve,

Looking forward to it.

Due to space and my eyes, I'm pretty hooked on Kindle. Will I be missing much, in terms of photos, etc, with an eBook?

Thanks!
Fish

Post by Fish »

Hi Jim,
No I don't think you'll be missing much at all. All of the photos will likely be more clear in the E-Book version, plus it will be loaded with links to take you to various sources for quotes, information, etc. I plan to use the E version often for convenience and visual clarity.
Jim McGinnis

emmons online book

Post by Jim McGinnis »

I ordered and downloaded the electronic version to my IPAD. Reading it now. Be prepared to spend 30 minutes on the download. It's not simple. You have to download an app that reads their version. Kindle and others not an option.
The app is free so that's not a problem. It took several tries to get it on the IPAD. That could be my lack of bars from ATT.
I have noticed that when you slide to turn the pages it jumps pages......ie, misses some. Not sure I'm actually missing pages or if that's just a glitch.
With that said, I'm really enjoying the book.
Jim McGinnis
dlayne

Buddy

Post by dlayne »

Steve got my order in and really looking forward to reading it!!! Thanks a Bunch,Dan
Dan Layne
Fish

Post by Fish »

SHIPPING UPDATE: For those of you who ordered paperback copies of Buddy Emmons, you likely received an automated email today from the "printer," similar to this one below. There is no need to take any action, the book is still on schedule. Please see the message from the publisher underneath this automated message:

"On your order (xxxxxxxxx) of 07-08-2022, the item listed above was backordered with an expected due date of 07-15-2022. That date has now passed with no updated expected due date from the publisher. If you'd like to continue to wait for this title until it arrives, no further action is required.

Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you have any questions please phone our Customer Service Department at 773-702-7000 or e-mail us at custserv@press.uchicago.edu

Chicago Distribution Center"

That message above is confusing. Everything is fine, your paperback version of the book will likely hit the mail system next week. Please read further below.

Here is an internal message sent to me yesterday by someone at University of Illinois Press, the publisher (not the printer).

"Just a quick note to let you know that paperback books have arrived at the warehouse and have been released for shipping. I expect back orders will begin shipping next week."

In otherwords, your paperback books should be shipped in the mail to you sometime next week.

Hard cover books are printed on demand; unfortunately I don't have updates on those but I'll let you know if I do. I would be interested in knowing if any of you have received hard cover copies yet. As of yet I have not seen a hard cover copy myself. I can't wait!

You can receive a 30% discount by ordering directly from the publisher's website and using the Promo Code F22UIP https://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/?id=p086786

Thank you everyone for supporting the book!

Steve
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Hi Steve

No hard cover issue yet received by my mailbox.

Patiently waiting.....

Kind regards,

Ron Funk
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I just ordered the e-book.

Tony
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

johnnyb

Post by johnnyb »

My paperback edition just arrived via USPS! Love it!
Johnny Barham
Pedal Steel Poser at large, without portfolio.
Fish

Post by Fish »

Thanks for letting me know johnnyb. You are the 2nd person to mention a paperback delivery today. It's a good feeling, I gotta say.

Jon Light: my guess is you should have yours by the weekend -- if you ordered a paperback. If it's hardback, then I'm not so sure about the delivery time....but thanks!

And thanks everyone for reading Buddy's story.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Fish

Post by Fish »

Cool! I haven't received my "author copies" yet. Glad yours arrived today. Thanks Jon!
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

Fish; why not perform at a few select steel shows this year, bring books to sell and be willing to sign books already purchased by steel guitarists at these shows?!!!
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
James Woodall

Post by James Woodall »

Just finished reading - amazing research, writing, and storytelling! Great job - thanks for your tremendous effort here!
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

Mines on the way!!!
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Duane Brown

Post by Duane Brown »

I got home from a gig last night and had a parcel. I opened it to find my paperback book copy. That's really early shipping as I was looking for September shipping.!
I just started reading it but it looks great!!Thanks for all your hare work Steve!
Jack Musgrave

Post by Jack Musgrave »

Just received my paperback copy. I have only read the preface and already love it. I highly recommend this book for any steel guitar player or fan of steel guitar
David Gertschen

Post by David Gertschen »

I'm only a couple of chapters into this, but it has already exceeded my expectations of what it would be. Thank you Mr. Fishell for putting in what had to be an exhausting amount of research on an extraordinary person.
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

My copy will arrive in a few days. I wish I would have known about the 30% off code though.
Tim Harr

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

My copy will arrive in a few days. I wish I would have known about the 30% off code though.
Tim Harr

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89
Bas Kapitein

Post by Bas Kapitein »

Steve, Amsterdam calling,
The distribution reached Europe.
First impression; Wow, you deserve a statue
John Bumbarger

Post by John Bumbarger »

I got my copy and I can't put it down. I started reading in the evening and by 1:30 am I just had to get to bed. A great read and a history less too ! Hardcover