12 string universal PSG

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Assuming someone wants to get started on the E9 pedal steel journey (as opposed to some other pedal steel format - there are other legitimate approaches that aren't so mainstream): I'm gonna go a different way and suggest that I don't think it matters what exact configuration one starts out with - 10-string standard E9, 12-string extended E9, or some type of 10-12 string universal E9/B6 - provided:

1. The guitar stays in tune and changes go to their intended pitches and return smoothly and accurately

2. There are enough of the standard changes on the guitar - at least AB pedals and E=>F and E=>Eb, and preferably a full 3+4 or 3+5 unless it is either a temporary cheap starter guitar or can be easily expanded like, let's say, the Justice Jr.

3. The guitar well fits the player ergonomically - its height is appropriate for the player and pedals and levers can be comfortably actuated.

12-string extended E9 is exactly standard E9 with two extra strings on the bottom. The top 8 strings of a 12-string universal E9/B6 are exactly the same as the top 8 of the other two, and really the only hardcore difference of significance is the lack of the string 9 D, which can be accessed from strings 8 or 9 via a lever.

I really think the fine point differences between these will be lost on a new player, who will normally focus on strings 3-8 to start. Without any other real reference point, I don't see why any of these machines can't be adapted to. I mean, if you don't have the bottom two strings of the 12-string, no biggie starting out even if you aspire to go that way eventually. Or conversely, if you have the extra strings, what's the big deal learning to deal with them, even if it's just to ignore them to start?
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Exactly, Dave.
John Sims

Post by John Sims »

Right on Dave!
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).