What am I missing in this E9 copedent?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Most of us have different priorities when it comes to rating the various options. For me, lowering the Bs and lowering that 9th string are factors that open up the E9 tuning.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
b0b

Post by b0b »

Gary Shepherd wrote:I would miss B to Bb on a vertical lever.
Like Richard, I have it on a pedal. It's necessary for several reasons, but I've never had a knee lever available for it.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I tried the B-lower on a pedal but abandoned it in favour of RKL so that it was available with pedals down.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Another person here in favour of having the B to Bb lower. I've always had it on my LKV, and all of my steels have the change on that lever, including my Emmons push pull. Suits me on LKV and I can use it in conjunction with my A & B pedals if need be, but I have to make sure that the lever is the right length and is set at the correct angle. It's a fundamental and positive change on E9.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Instead of worrying about what's missing, I'd concentrate more on learning to use what you already have! :lol:

Seriously, there's enough there to keep just about any beginning player busy for 10-15 years. Like Bob Hoffnar and Paul Sutherland have already said, leave it the way it is and start in earnest on your practicing.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have"

T. Roosevelt
Christopher Peck

Post by Christopher Peck »

Oh, there's no worrying about what might be missing; I'm just curious as to what the feller who set it up was thinking. Who knows, there's probably some cat out there that knows the guy that put the G nats on the RKR and why he did it. I figured asking might get an answer and if not I'd learn something from any discussion.

And I won't be changing anything until the present set up stops me from playing something I really want to play. And as y'all know and I'm very quickly learning, that's years down the road if ever. No point in changing things around just to change things.
John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

Georg Sørtun wrote:On PSGs that can handle the 6th string G# -> F# lower (with tuned split to G) – with wound 6th, I always try to add the same change(s) on the 3d string. Same lever (and pedal) for both G# strings, so good use of available (standard) levers.
How many PSGs handle the 3rd string G#>>F#.
high G# is one of the outliers for string movements, I have found
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Most of us would if we could play like Loyd Green would be happy an Loyd gets the Job done with minimal pulls.
Loyd was ask why don’t you have more knee levers an pedals Loyds answered,I want too play in tune.

Mark McCornack

Post by Mark McCornack »

As you can see, there are lots of options that work for lots of people regarding levers and pedals (though the Emmons or Day pedals seem to be more standardized among players)..

One thing that Ian posted above here that I'd like to reiterate is to consider tuning your 9th string to D natural rather than D#. It may seem a bit odd at first, but that D string is really an important one. :D
Christopher Peck

Post by Christopher Peck »

Mark McCornack wrote:As you can see, there are lots of options that work for lots of people regarding levers and pedals (though the Emmons or Day pedals seem to be more standardized among players)..

One thing that Ian posted above here that I'd like to reiterate is to consider tuning your 9th string to D natural rather than D#. It may seem a bit odd at first, but that D string is really an important one. :D
as noted in the OP, that 9th string D# is an excel autofill flub when I wrote out the copedent. It's actually a D natural. I left the original pic in the post since a few people commented on it and it might be confusing if I changed the pic out for the correct tuning.
Mark McCornack

Post by Mark McCornack »

Oops! My bad. I missed that correction. D natural is our friend, EXCEL spreadsheets, maybe not so much :)