Guitar cords/cables

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

I still recall what Jeff Newman told me years ago. Jeff was asked about cables, brands, materials, lengths, shielding. He told us all in class that day, that the BEST cable, is the one we make ourselves. Jeff used Belden 8412 bulk cable, with good'ole Switchcraft connectors. He said we should try to keep them 12 foot or shorter.

I still have that old cable Jeff built for me. It has a rubber outter jacket that has actually cracked & dry rotted. But the cable still works to this day, and sounds great. It is one of my most prized possessions.

I am currently still building cables. I use either Canare G-6, or Mogami w2524. Besides Switchcraft plugs, i also use Neutrik connectors.

Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Looks like kind of a Mickey Mouse operation! :lol:
Erv
Al Evans

Post by Al Evans »

I'm like Bob Hoffnar; for many years I made my own cables with Canare cable and Neutrik connectors from Markertek. However, I've become old and lazy, and a couple of years ago I started using D'Addario solderless cables for almost everything. Easy to make up, nothing needed but a screwdriver. And as far as I can tell, they don't sound any different from the Canare/Neutrik cables, at least in the shortish lengths I use.

--Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
Carl Williams

Post by Carl Williams »

Hey Erv,
Cut George a little slack...at least he’s not wearing those nasty Dr. Seuss socks...😳😉
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

:lol: :lol: