New Member New Build #2 ..

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Robert Millar

moment of clarity

Post by Robert Millar »

just realized I can play open positions licks in any other position by utilizing two slides in one hand , easy peasy !
Robert Millar

Post by Robert Millar »

a JD 925 with custom tapered wood thingy for the middle finger , and a basic slide the thumb can fit into , can never have enough slides , they all have a particular tone and use !
Robert Millar

Post by Robert Millar »

a better look at the custom tapered wood thingy , its higher on the player side, which helps get a useful angle to clear the strings to assist having the root note ring out over top of notes played with the thumb slide , like when doing a 5th and then a 6th like a rhythm part.
Robert Millar

Post by Robert Millar »

Now featuring hook and loop fastened tone bar. Something about security , I quickly realize how fast you can achieve slants / intervals what have when the tone bar moves with your digits , either velcro'd or in the case of a bottleneck , thumb inserted for instance , slants positioning is second nature where previously they were cumbersome .
Robert Millar

Post by Robert Millar »

here's a back view ; the olive wood can sure take a beating , staples for days . No splitting ...
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

2 slides, that's thinking outside the box!!

there's been threads about making Stevens and bullet bars easier to hold especially for folks with arthritis/medical conditions

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=359949
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Robert Millar

Post by Robert Millar »

Awesome thanks for the link and encouragement! It's a whole new world using two slides and really the only way to go to play certain shapes rhythms and licks . The Liquislide looks pretty interesting , also interested in combining different shapes for say achieving a slant shape when combined right against each other. The one fret offset would be useful , however my current approach are too large when combined I've found, I'll keep searching.
Robert Millar

Post by Robert Millar »

decided to lose the mic stand in favour of having a completely portable solution , all on one baseplate. Used some 3/4" EMT electrical conduit and just have it sitting in some 2x6 cut offs with 15 degree 15/16" angled holes drill with a spade bit on the drill press. Allows me to get the lap steel closer to the pedal board and still have access to the volume pedal etc and now all on one stand instead of two , much improved !
Robert Millar

Post by Robert Millar »

Played a gig on the weekend ; windy and freezing cold so much for summer , lap steel on the stand was great. Rocked a handful of tunes with her, Eagles Take it Easy, Wagon Wheel , a few others in G. Went wireless with the Les Paul and wired with the Lap Steel , no use going wireless with a lap steel that's on a stand , getting wheels for it would be cool , pneumatic tires I'd think, why not !
Robert Millar

Post by Robert Millar »

pic of the stage , first gig with the band canopy, lag bolted into the stage for the 90 mph winds at times , man I'm glad I've committed the four sets to memory and I don't have to rely on the bible binder on a stand focused with bifocals and a walking cane , already old enough, I don't feel like reading from a page , actually I prefer to play with my eyes closed to distance myself musically from the rest of the group, the wind kicked up knocking their binders over into their prized instruments , I was secure for the most part , let it blow , I'll just close my eyes and turn up my amp and blow right back mother ! lol
Robert Millar

Post by Robert Millar »

I'm gland I chose the AC/DC shirt for the gig, sure enough last song warranted a request from the crowd , AC/DC ! Well why not , after the band leader groaned and suggested I bring my girlfriend up and sing she lit up Highway to Hell and blew the few minds that were still up partying in the dark amidst the freezing temperatures , good times !
Robert Millar

oh snap

Post by Robert Millar »

she took a small face down tumble. 2nd string bender snapped, time for some glue.
Robert Millar

Post by Robert Millar »

glued her up and she's right as rain, fragile though, aluminum is the way to go on #3, gotta run with that idea...
Robert Millar

Your Love Amazes Me

Post by Robert Millar »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv-BJ0tkOfQ

here's a tune I produced that I used this lap steel on .
An anniversary song for some friends, my gf is singing .
2023 update , the gf singer went for the big time , then claimed I was trying to sabotage her "career" we parted ways , I've written a few songs about it , oh woe is me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TUT2gE5Aww
Robert Millar

Post by Robert Millar »

she is still getting played years later now , enjoyed , and I got around to fabricating a capo from instructions that Martin Gross provides on his heart of steel website : "http://www.martingross.com"
capo link of his homepage takes you there . Finding a commercially available capo for a resonator would never fit the size of this beast , the neck is way too wide and thick for anything but a custom made capo , first try at this , it works just fine although again drilling straight is easier than it looks sadly , yet it's unique , I'll leave it at that .
Cheers