Headphone Rig For Practicing At Night

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

I've got a Nu-X Mighty-Lite BT practice amp - sounds like crap through the speaker, but fine through headphones. Has basic reverb and distortion functions, input for backing tracks on MP3 players, runs on batteries or power supply. They are cheap - about $100 on Amazon, but was much cheaper here in the Philippines. Plenty of other mini-practice amps on Amazon - just find one with the features you need.
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Thomas Stone

Post by Thomas Stone »

I've been using a Zoom G1 Four for silent headphone practice. This guy:

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/effect ... s#overview

Positives:

* Sounds quite good through headphones
* Has multiple amp sims, cab sims, reverb, delay, compression, etc.
* You can create your own preset(s), store them, and access them easily
* Battery-powered, very portable
* Reasonably affordable at $90.

Negatives:

* 99% of the canned settings are horrible, geared towards heavily distorted rock sounds
* The user interface is very complex. If I'm away from it for a while, I have to drag out the manual and relearn how to program it.
* No on/off switch, you have to unplug your guitar to turn it off.
James Meloan

Post by James Meloan »

This just came out. I wish it had knobs instead of the touch sliders, but it looks promising and not quite as pricey as the Strymon.
https://www.darkglass.com/creations/element/
Joel Bloom

Post by Joel Bloom »

Roland micro-cube gx has a seperate 3.5mm input for a music player (i plug my phone in for jamming along to youtube etc) and also a headphone 3.5mm imput. They are running seperately so the music coming in (from your phone etc) is clean, even if you have a dirty tone and wild effects running on your guitar. The micro-cube has a good variety of effects reverb/delay and clean to dirty amp models etc. Cheap and portable too with batteries and a wall plug if needed. Solved all my practice issues.
Cheers