looking good so far

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Leon-Absolutely beautiful work. Congratulations.....al Image Image

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Ron !

Post by Ron ! »

Nice Job Leon.

Give me your adres and I will send you some steel guitars because I think that you have it.
I wish I had your hands.

Ron

------------------
Nikaro SD10 4x6 ,Nikaro SD10 4x5,2 Peavey Ultratube 112

European Steel Guitar Forum

Leon Roberts

Post by Leon Roberts »

I’m overwhelmed with all the neat positive comments. I played the above mentioned guitar tonight and the band was highly impressed with both appearance and tone. I’m sort of “gun shy” about putting it on the bandstand with all the activity of setting up. My next project is refurbishing Dr. Purvis’ Lloyd Green model. He wants me to strip it down to the bare maple and do a natural finish like I did on my PRO-III. Doing a natural finish is easier in my opinion. You don't have to worry about masking off the inlay to prevent the stain from ruining the inlay. This is a later model LDG so we will throw away all the cap pistol parts and put my undercarriage on it. I’ll take before and after photos so you guys can see if it really makes a difference.(LOL) Once again, thanks for the encouraging comments.
Leon
Leon Roberts

Post by Leon Roberts »

My Sho-Bud professional is all finish. I’m posting some photos of the changers and the undercarriage. It plays as sweet as it looks. This is what I think a Sho-bud should be. I have a pro-III and a LDG with the same system. I machined out all the parts with the exception of the raise and lowering bars of the changers. Those I got from Billy Ray of Rayline music.
Leon<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Leon Roberts on 02 March 2005 at 06:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Man thats NICE!!!! You have kind of "flung a cravin' on me" to rebuild another Sho Bud. Anybody got a basket case they want to get rid of?

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Donald Dunlavey

Post by Donald Dunlavey »

Leon, that's a great job you've done on the Professional, machining looks great as well as the finish, I know you must be proud of it. The professionals just have a tone don't they.

------------------
Leon Roberts

Post by Leon Roberts »

Thanks for the neat positive comments guys. The blue professional is now my guitar of choice. I’ll be using it to back up Charlie McCoy Saturday night. Leon
Mark Vinbury

Post by Mark Vinbury »

Leon-- That is some beautiful work.Thanks for sharing it.
Your rundown of the finishing process was great. Refreshed my memory on why I sell my lap steel kits unfinished.Whew!!!
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Leon

BEEEautiful!

I was looking for this page and couldn't find it.

I have a couple projects to do when the weather clears here, and I'll email you some Qs if you don't mind. Hopefully easy ones.

Not our mom's blue food coloring, that's for sure!

WHen I went to pick up my Marrs at Duane and Jeffs, there was a similar color blue Bud there.

I might just do it to Blondie PIII this summer, but I'm just leaning towards a utility coating. We'll see.

EJL
Leon Roberts

Post by Leon Roberts »

Eric, thanks for the compliment. I'll be happy to answer any question I can. How is the tone and sustain of your Professional with all the Marrs'replacement parts. I would bet that your are diggin the "new" axe. Dana Flood told me mine sounded like a Sho-Bud on steriods. Of course that was when he was playing it.
Leon