Are you bothered by the term "armpit guitar?"

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

David Duncan wrote:It's funny that it makes me think of Frank Zappa's song about parts of your body favorite or otherwise.
"What's the ugliest part of your body...?
Some say your nose, some say your toes but I think it's your mind...."

Armpit guitar does have a sweaty connotation that doesn't flatter the instrument.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

I might be bothered, if I knew what it was.. :?
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I've never heard that term before,Am I bothered by it?I don't think so?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

That doesn't bother me, but what really doitches me off is when people call my steel a "slide guitar" or "steel pedal". Or even worse--KEYBOARD!
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Bothers me only when the guitar stinks.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

It doesn't bother me per se but it's inelegant and a term I'd never use.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Never heard the term before...what next - "steel without pedals" becomes "crotch steel"???
Larry Carlson

Post by Larry Carlson »

Finally we are putting our heads together and discussing problems that have altered world history and continue to affect us today.
It's nice when people can come together and bring a bit of sense to what is otherwise a chaotic and cruel world.
As for the term "armpit guitar", it's a lot less offensive than some of the other terms I have called mine on occasion.... :roll:
I have stuff.
I try to make music with it.
Sometimes it works.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

It doesn't bother me. It's a feeble attempt @ humor, but not offensive. I've had armpit guitarists describe my steel as an "oakie organ". Gotta just laugh it off.
Chris Sattler

Post by Chris Sattler »

I've only seen it used here and I gotta say I don't care for it. Yeah, I'm with you on this one Mike.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

no. its just a slangish thing. i like "underarm" guitar better...
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

Nope. Not offended. Seems like a mildly humorous way of making a necessary distinction on this forum. As others have said, Standard, Underarm, or Straight guitar work as well. Sorry Mike, but "six string guitar" on this forum is usually referring to a lap steel, resonator or weissenborn. Sometimes the context is enough to tell. "I play both tele and steel" seems to cover an awful lot of you guys. :D
Don Drummer

body parts

Post by Don Drummer »

Ranger Doug calls the accordion the stomach steinway
Jim Robbins

Post by Jim Robbins »

To me, the term is a bit silly and not particularly accurate but it doesn't really bother me. For most of the world, that's what they mean when they say "guitar" & the instrument doesn't change if it is played held vertically against the player's body or sitting on the player's lap if the player happens to be Thumbs Carslile or Jeff Healy.

Other instruments are named or distinguished by reference to body parts and movement e.g. viola da gamba ("leg viol", played like a cello), viola da braccia (sp?; "arm viol" played the way some fiddlers play with the fiddle held against the forearm). And of course there's stand-up bass, mouth organ,kick drum and of course lap steel (which according to Wikipedia -- so it must be true -- is the name of the bottom neck of Junior Brown's guitar).

That said, I doubt that "armpit" guitar will catch on among the general public, most of whom do not even know what the "sit down and step on" guitar is.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I don't like the term and it was probably started by a steel player (of which I am one to a certain degree) but the electric guitar is still my main instrument and I play steel mostly because I love it and would never associate a derogatory name with it such as "sit on your butt guitar"... I also hate the term "scratch plate" even more... it's a damn pick guard......JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Jeff Evans

ARM-pit GIT-tar

Post by Jeff Evans »

Ranger Doug calls the accordion the "stomach Steinway".
It is pronounced, "ARM-pit GIT-tar", right?
Jeremy Reeves

Post by Jeremy Reeves »

Jim Fogarty wrote:It's my main axe, and no, it absolutely doesn't bother me in the least. Considering it's kind of the dominant, ubiquitous instrument in Western music for decades, I think it can stand a little joshing.....
this
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Good to know that such an esteemed and respected musician as Mike (RIP) shared the same peeve that I have.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... highlight=
“Stomach Steinway” is cute. “Armpit Guitar” is just icky and demeaning. Been playing guitar for 52 years and never heard or saw the term anywhere else but here on the Forum.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Fred,
You need to get out more! :lol:
Erv
Jim Fogle

Post by Jim Fogle »

I never heard of the term, armpit guitar, before I read it in this forum.

I'm wondering if the term might be slang that is specific to a part of the the country. For example depending what part of the East Coast I'm in when I order a soft drink I may need to ask for a drink, soda, cola, pop or soda pop.
Remembering Harold Fogle (1945-1999) Pedal Steel Player
Dell laptop Win 10, i3, 8GB, 480GB
2023 BiaB UltraPlus PAK
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I'm more offended about armpit odor. I need a shower.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Larry Carlson

Post by Larry Carlson »

Charlie McDonald wrote:I'm sure not going to say armpit bass.
Ah go ahead. Won't bother me.

I have stuff.
I try to make music with it.
Sometimes it works.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Erv Niehaus wrote:Fred,
You need to get out more! :lol:
Erv
I do get out, Erv, but not with right wrong crowd 🤠
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Jim Fogle wrote:I never heard of the term, armpit guitar, before I read it in this forum.

I'm wondering if the term might be slang that is specific to a part of the the country. For example depending what part of the East Coast I'm in when I order a soft drink I may need to ask for a drink, soda, cola, pop or soda pop.
When I was growing up in Boston, you would ask for a tonic, too.
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

I am not "offended" by words... (Sticks and stones...etc)
However since we steel guitarists are playing a GUITAR in a different orientation (Flat instead of on it's side) we are often in need of a descriptive term to point out the other instruments that we are talking about.

"armpit" doesn't fully describe it, and I am more inclined to be specific: Tele, Strat, Les Paul, Martin D28, Gibson Hummingbird etc.

ARMPIT GUITAR is just an attempt at "being funny" or "teasing" the other guy. No real harm intended. However:
in this modern "WOKE" society it seems people get offended by words much more often than in the past.

AND TRUTH BE TOLD... we steel guitar players are the real "WEIRDOS" for playing the instrument incorrectly (Starting with the Hawaiian Style of Guitar-just a spanish guitar played on the lap) and then being electrified and made a solid body instrument of different size and shape but still called a "guitar"... I guess we should be able to play nice and respect the instrument from which ours evolved.

JMHO Dom :roll: