What do you guys sit on?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Image d'accord Glenn
as much as i like workin' w: hand & power tools, i've always taken care of my hands
la Sorbonne c'est a coté de St Michel et Cluny dans le quartier des beatniks
Ach ! Paris et cholie mademoizelles Image
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

Dont know what he said, but when I first got my steel , I built on to order to fit my buns. try it..... I built it out of scrap wood and upholstery material, even put whells on it, couldn't afford a motor......

Jennings

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

I too am a new steel player. I bought a keyboard bench to use,but,I am kicking around the idea of building a pac-a-seat. I would buy one,but,I am a cheapskate.

------------------
D.S. Rigsby
Carter Starter and various six string toys

Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I use a padded chair from the dining room at home; (bedroom picker) but a while back I was playing a psg at a local music store and the guy gave me a seat normally used by a drummer. Hey, I think it's great.
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

I have always used a seat with a back.
Being just back to playing steel after several years and a few stones later, my favourite seat is a bit wobbly, as you may have noticed, Billy. I may need a custom built, heavy duty model, but isn't beer great?
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

If ya need somethin' in a hurry, Radio Shack has a heighth adjustable keyboard bench for $39.95 that works well. I have one so's I can keep the pac-a-seat at the Emmons and flit between the two Dekleys. It's RS part number 42-4063. Just go to radioshack.com & enter the part number to see it.
Jim Dempsey

Post by Jim Dempsey »

I used a keyboard bench for awhile,now i have a ROC N SOC drum throne.Nice !-Jim
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

I use a ToteSeat (formerly known as Edgar Pro Case). I don't think he makes them anymore.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 07 October 2004 at 07:39 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jackie Anderson

Post by Jackie Anderson »

For playing out I use two milk crates, with one of them shortened to adjust the total height, and an upholstered seat on top which I made to fit. They are light, easy to pick up together or separately, and hold a lot of stuff (pedal, stomp boxes, cables, extension cords, snacks -- even milk!). Now that I have two matching black crates, it looks pretty slick!
Ricky0ne1

Post by Ricky0ne1 »

Welcome to SGF Paul! I'm rather new to steel myself (almost 2 years). I bought a Roc-N-Soc w/back. It's just like the seat Buddy Cage uses. That must be what influenced me to seek one. Looks like a big bicycle seat. It's really comfy and swivels, and has the hydraulic(is that what it is?) height adjustment. They are a little pricey(about $185 w/back), but then most good pack-a-seats are up around there. Only problem I know of is ya can't pack nuttin' in it. Image

------------------
Rick Summers
-RAWOODS Custom Shop- West Peoria, IL rick@rawoods.com

Eric West

Post by Eric West »

I used my first Sho Bud PIII case until it wore out. Then I liked one of those wooden milk crates in every club with the mesh in the bottom. Just the right height.

Then 20 year of whatever chair I can find in the club I'm playing. Folding chairs work fine.

Looking forward to again using a case. One I had built by Texascase and sent to Marrs for my Professional to be sent out here in.

I tried a couple packaseat type seats, but I lost them.

EJL
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I think I'm still at least 35-yrs. behind the times! I'm still using ‘one of the very first’ {Duane Marrs} SHO­BUD Pack-A-Seats, which Shot sold to me for $20! [Sorry ’bout that Duane!] Over the years I did put more foam-rubber and a new covering on the seat and increased the heigth 1½” with white conduit pipe-connecters. Sometime I need to paint them aluminum to match the original-legs! Once in a while it screaches a little, but; tightening a few screws and a little oil solves that problem! Image

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
(2)-Fender ’49–’50 T–8 Customs
Fender ’65 Reissue Twin-Reverb Custom™ 15”
click hereclick hereclick hereclick here
Logan Wilkerson

Post by Logan Wilkerson »

old sho~bud storage seat! very comfy for me.....

------------------
sho-bud proII custom
session 400 b/w series

Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I used my old ShoBud seat from '77 until about a year ago when I got the Walker Deluxe wide model with the folding back from Ray Walker. I never thought I'd ever pay that much for a seat ($325.00) but it was dang well worth every penny. Ray has a great product out there and very well thought out with some little extra touches. Have a good 'un, JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Savell

Post by Savell »

.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Savell on 29 May 2005 at 06:58 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gere Mullican

Post by Gere Mullican »

I have been using a home made seat for about 40 years. On one side the legs were reinforcing steel bars and the other side was hollow tubing. I was afraid the tubing bout get a kink and I would wind up sitting in the floor so I went to Bobbe Seymour's store and bought an Elite seat. I had to get them to cut about 2 inches off the legs because most seats are about 20 inches from the floor and since I am a short guy I needed about 18 inches. Used it last night for the first time and it fit really good. Only thing is my power strip don't fit inside cuase it is too long. No problem, I just carry it in by itself. I don't know if it helped my picking but at least I am not concerned about winding up in the floor.
Gere
Ryan Giese

Post by Ryan Giese »

I got a Walker pac-a-seat last Christmas. It is still in perfect condition. You should try it out. They are great!
Ray Walker

Post by Ray Walker »

With the exception of my good friends Jerry Hayes, Ryan Giese and a couple of the ole Sho-bud guys I am just sitting here laughing my tail end off. This is funny stuff. Now I am not trying to be mean spirited hear...the Good Lord only kows I mean well, but for the life of me I am laughing so hard it's all I can do to sit in my chair. I have spent a lot of money developing a steel guitar seat that will last almost forever and is comfortable and more than half the people on this thread are sitting on milk cartons...cans and kitchen chairs...and seem perfectly happy. I need to re-think my business plan and start making collapsible milking stools. HA!!! I mean it HA!!!!. b0b I love this forum my friend I really do. God bless each one of you who posted and I for one am truly happy to know what a lot of folks sit on too. Image Image Image Image Image

Ray Walker
Walker Seats

PS
Now before anything starts....boys and girls this is all in humor only...

PSS
Sarah darlin' your newest seat's on it's way to you...I had no idea Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ray Walker on 08 October 2004 at 05:55 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

Sorry Ray, I'm just cheap...I mean frugal Image

------------------
D.S. Rigsby
Carter Starter and various six string toys

Winnie Winston

Post by Winnie Winston »

No need to bend anything. Why copy? Think outside the square!
One of the nicest seats I've seen used 3/4" threaded pipe for legs. the legs screwed into threaded flanges (aboutb 2-3" dia) that were screwed to the bottom of the seat.
The legs could be cut to the exact dimesion needed.
A few "broom-handle holders" screwed down under the seat, held the legs in place when they were unscrewed.

As for me... I'd love a seat with a back. I've been using a Sho-Bud pack-a-seat for years. Put a new foam top on a few years ago.

JW
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

The backrest is well worth having. I had an original Sho-Bud seat too, years ago and let it go with my '79 MSA when I sold it. I got a ToteSeat a couple years ago and thought nah, don't need a back, didn't have it before...W.C. convinced me to get one with a back and he was right. It's worth having if only for relaxing between songs, during soundchecks, etc.
Klaus Caprani

Post by Klaus Caprani »

"It"

(Sorry. Couldn't resist Image

------------------
Klaus Caprani

MCI RangeXpander S-10

Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Savell,
RE: Sewing machine seat
That's precisely where Duane Marrs,who came up with the whole idea in the first place,got the idea from. I think Duane ought to be put in the SGHOF,just for coming up with that idea,alone!! BTW,I'm proud to say that I have the FIRST steel seat that Duane ever made,& was the first steeler to have one. TOOT-TOOT!! <---(that's me,tootin' my own horn. Image )

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com</pre></font>

Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

Well if you got it, flaunt it! Image
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

Well, OK, since you asked:

I used to (in MSA Semi-Classic days)use a metal milk crate with a pillow. As rude as it was, it was the exact height for me although a point of some embarrassment in its primitive appearance, so I painted it matte black and attached a 1/4" plywood (stained in dark maple) platform, and found a more aristocratic looking pillow to complete the idea.

Whether my butt deserved such treatment is, of course, another discussion.

Dare I say it? I still have the milk crate (platform and pillow long gone. Is it appropriate now in the presence of an LDG or should I grow up and spend some money?

James
Sho-Bud LDG