fingers go numb when playin

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

BDBassett

Post by BDBassett »

During the one and only 'sit-down' gig I ever had, I developed a numbness in my right hand while pickin'. Playing 4 hours a night, 6 nights a week for a year and a half, I fell into some pretty bad habits. One such habit was to rest my wrist too heavely on the pad of my single//double steel guitar. I went to see a Dr. about it and the opinion was just to change position of my wrist and it should clear up. He likened it to a syndrome noted in the 50s and 60 when little import sports cars were becoming popular. It seems the little MGs and Austin Healeys didn't allow much room for the drivers legs. Often the lower right leg was pressed up against the transmission hump in such a way as to cause numbness in the foot. It became known as Sport Car Palsey.

So, before surgery, strong medicine or alternative treatments...try changing positions a little.

BD
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Last November, I had surgery for CTS, tendonitis and a pinched ulnar nerve that was causing numbness and severe pain in my right hand. My CTS was discovered during testing for nerve and muscle damage from the ulnar nerve and tendon damage. I had no idea I had it because I really didn't feel the symptoms because of the other pain. When the Dr. suggested surgery (never been cut open before and was really traumatized at the thought) I did about a month of extensive research about these ailments. I sought a second opinion (actually my worker's comp insurance requested I do, but I could pick a Doctor), and this doc also suggested the surgery. I told my original doc to go ahead and schedule me. I am glad I did it. The one thing I did learn in my research was, that if you wait too long, surgery may be the only answer. I attended a seminar at a local university medical center on CTS, and they did touch on the alternative methods of treatment. But, they said it usually only helps in the early stages of CTS and if you continue the things that are causing your problem, surgery will probably be needed at some point in the future.

As far as the laser surgery, you will need to check with your insurance company to see if they cover it. Some don't.

And lastly, my doc prescribed a newer drug called BEXTRA for the pain and inflamation. It really works better on me than Celebrex, Vioxx, Lodine and other similar drugs (which actually had no effect on me). You can find out more about BEXTRA at http://www.bextra.com
Talk to your doc about it.
David Morgan

Post by David Morgan »

Definitely check with a reputable chiropractor before surgery. I have been treated by one for over 25 years starting that long ago when I felt some numbness in my fingers while playing steel for a living. It was related to spinal issues which respond well to regular (once month) treatment (in my case).